Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doesn't seem to be a thread just for coffee so I thought I'd start one. And since it's a Monday and the first day of May I'll start it off with the following:

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whelp, it's Monday and I was lucky to have enough roasted coffee to make me two cups this morning.  At least I didn't have to resort to brewing a single bean at a time like the embedded video below.  Time to roast again.  Suffered through some mediocre cups at my Mom's house this weekend, glad to be home.

https://youtu.be/qA8QO0Y7fgQ
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As if there was any doubt, coffee may be good for you,

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42081278

A little dirt never hurt
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drinking some Indian Mysore this morning. Said to be spicy because the plantation is surrounded by spice plantations. Not sure that I buy that, but do taste some clove. I'd buy more beans but they're sold out of this batch.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual I have Sumatra every day, it is just plain good. And to have it shipped in 2 days is amazing. Use to order 2 at a time but now I get 4. This came today.

If you have not tried Sumatra you ought to give it a try.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks yummy.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As with Cigars or anything, taste is subjective. I’ve tried Sumatra - both monsooned and not - and they’re okay. I’d never refuse a cup of Sumatra but, personally, I much prefer Guatemalan. FWTW...  B)
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get, among other varieties, Papua New Guinea or PNG from The Excellent Cup. Very fast order fulfillment, high quality coffee, and good advice on brewing. 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer maxwell house
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    edited March 2018
    I think I ordered from The Excellent Cup a number of years ago. The Sumatra I received just didn't get it. Was trying to wean myself off of Starbucks and tried a number of places. When I found Blue Macaw Coffee Roasters I stopped looking,
    I have ordered one day and had it the next. Absolutely fresh and consistent. Both whole bean and drip grind. 
    Since @jlmarta has given me some good advice in the past I will order a bag of Guatemalan and try it. B) 
    @jd50ae

If you’re not sure you ordered from The Excellent Cup before, maybe you should try him again. It’s our very own @peter4jc, and he’s my go-to guy for my Guatemalan and others. I highly recommend ol’ Petey......  B)
    Peter doesn't go into dark roast all that often, 
    Peter doesn't go into dark roast all that often, 
    I pretty much leave the roast to Peter. I trust him to roast to the appropriate level for the given beans. I’m sure as h3ll no expert in deciding which level is correct or that I would prefer. I just know that he’ll look out for my best interests....  I’ve been very happy with the results to date. 
  • YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    Been drinking a isom coffee and it’s flavorful and smooth. Also been drinking a coffee made for the cigar store I work at and it’s pretty good. Really it comes down to how you make it...French press has been my friend for a long time now and it’s worth it
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    ......Really it comes down to how you make it...French press has been my friend for a long time now and it’s worth it
    <chuckle> Been there, done that. Tried a number of brewing methods and found that opinions are like a holes - everyone’s got one. French press is fine as long as you are fond of mug sludge. I prefer a dripper with a filter because I don’t wanna chew my coffee. 

:p 
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been alternating between Kenya AA and Peruvian lately 
  • YournamehereYournamehere Posts: 63 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    ......Really it comes down to how you make it...French press has been my friend for a long time now and it’s worth it
    <chuckle> Been there, done that. Tried a number of brewing methods and found that opinions are like a holes - everyone’s got one. French press is fine as long as you are fond of mug sludge. I prefer a dripper with a filter because I don’t wanna chew my coffee. 

Well personally I do drink Turkish coffee now and then so I guess that doesn’t really matter to me
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used my French press (thank you Brad) today, no sludge (thanks for the tip John).  Its all about the pour my friend.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    jlmarta. As soon as the open Sumatra is finished I shall try your recommendation.

jlmarta said:

Well personally I do drink Turkish coffee now and then so I guess that doesn’t really matter to me
    I’m cool with whatever blows your skirt up, my friend. We all like different things.......  B)
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    So, drinking my second press pot of Bali Blue Moon from @peter4jc and The Excellent Cup.  First pot didn't count.  I had a scoop of some sumatra leftover and mixed in what I needed from this bag.  Plus it was a rush on Saturday to get to a workday for our church camp.  I was trying to drink and prep my chainsaw at the same time.  I wasn't paying attention and my water got too hot.

So, to today, this stuff is great.  I always fiddle with a new roast.  Usually, I like my coffee hot, like around 200 F when it goes into the press.  This stuff shouldn't be over 195, I don't think, because it seemed overextracted on Saturday (but it was probably like 210 anyway).  Tried the lower temp today and it was good.  I used about half a scoop less than normal today, too.  Came out just about right for me after 4 and a half minutes.

Very bright flavors; fruity and slightly sweet.  Good mouth feel.  Light and "unoffensive" enough to serve to non-coffee-snobs, but complex enough for my guru friends who teach me something every time I drink a cup with them, I suspect.  The "brightness" made me think that this would be acidic, but it winds up being smooth as silk today.  Thanks for the birthday present, Peter.  My favorite local guy is "taking a break" from his roasting hobby-business for a while.  I might have to try some more varieties from The Excellent Cup if he doesn't get going soon!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Oh, you sound almost ready to take the plunge:
    http://behmor.com/behmor-1600-plus/
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, you sound almost ready to take the plunge:
    http://behmor.com/behmor-1600-plus/
    Only a 7 hour drive to the nearest retailer!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the time and effort to reflect on the Blue Moon.  Too often, we (myself included) have an empty mug and haven't put for the effort to examine/investigate the coffee.

As much as I like the Behmor and respect the inventor Joe Behm (whom I've met a couple times), here's a look at the setup I used for years, and still roast samples with.  If anyone wants to start turning green beans brown, and doesn't mind tinkering it's worth thinking about;

https://sites.google.com/site/peter4jc/

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis