Home Non Cigar Related

Work boots

danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for a pair of comfortable workboots. I've been wearing/buying the same pair for over 6 yrs (Timberland PRO 6" Steeltoe).  They are getting a bit heavy.
Looking to maybe getting some Redwings. Worth it?
I work at a construction site for a homebuilder. 
What do ya'll wear/recommend?  

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wearing Redwing 6" boots w/composite toe for 15 years. Work will buy me two pair a year, but they'll last more than a year if I change the insoles.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redwings and only Redwings for 8 years. I too get the composite toe and right away when I got my first pair I coulda feel the weight difference. You can get replacement insoles when they get worn and replace outer soles as well if the boots are still worth it

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wearing Carolina logging boots for the last 15 years. Probably be looking for a different brand next time, I noticed the quality starting to slip.
    I tried a pair of Red Wings years ago, they feel apart in less a year. They were very comfortable boot just not put together.  
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use red wings too. I have two identical pair. I walk the bottoms off one and send them in for a rebuild. Then wear the others until they need it. I get about 4 years out of a pair. The rebuild costs about a third of new depending on how bad I have torn them up. I'm thinking about switching to another brand since my last rebuild came back a little under expectations. They get one more chance though
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been rolling with a pair of Redwing Irish Setters  for going on 5 years, they are super trashed but so damn comfortable I can't give them up.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wore steel-toes for 30 years, and liked Redwing the best.

My employer paid $120/yr towards shoes/boots.  My trick was to get a new pair every year when the pair from the past year was half worn, and then switch off every day.  It seemed if the boots had a day to sit and rest, they dried out and my feet were happier because they never got used to the same boots day in and day out.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc-- I thought you were a preacherman; I guess steel toed boots would come in handy, now that I think about it.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. So everyone is all about Red Wing. So damn pricey though.  $275+ for a pair. I guess they're worth it.  
     Anyone ever wore Wolverines or Carhartt? My dad wore Wolverines and that's all he bought ... 

and  If any of you mention Die Hard, you can go suck on a Padilla 8x80.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sassy but wise woman once told me, there's two things in this world you don't skimp on, your boots and your bed, because if you ain't in one, you're in the other. 

A guy I work with refuses to spend money on a good pair. In the two years we've worked together he has killed 6 pairs of Walmart boots. I've only replaced the laces in my red wings once. By my calculations, I've spent less. Buy once cry once is cliche but true
    In pinch one time I gotta a pair of CAT boots at Kmart for $30.....Actually they weren't that bad. 
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a pair of redwings I wore for 3 years. The company buys shoes every year so I put them up and get a new pair of Bates yearly 
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Balance
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irish Setter here, most comfortable work boots I've ever had, wish I could have afforded them when I was working on the farm. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Edward, these Irish Setters are so comfortable I can't wear the new ones I got from work last year.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red Wings all the way man. Got the new Irish Setter logging boots this time around. Very comfortable and the soles are holding up very well. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got about 9 months out of a pair of Carhartts. I got 6 months from Caterpillar, and 2 years from White's. My Redwing's are on their 5th year. I got the molded sole for cheap replacement, and it's nowhere near replacing yet. The leather seams to get noticeably softer every week, and if you take them in, they will oil them and replace the laces for free (no limit). It's definitely worth the initial investment. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I forgot about that. Laces are always free at redwing. I oil them myself, and couldn't agree more...leather holds up well.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts on Thorogood boots?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. So everyone is all about Red Wing. So damn pricey though.  $275+ for a pair. I guess they're worth it.  
     Anyone ever wore Wolverines or Carhartt? My dad wore Wolverines and that's all he bought ... 

I've had good luck with most, but not all, the wolverines I've tried. And I've had a couple of good pair of Sears ******* shoes that did really well for me. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wearing wolverines for years. I seem to get about 3 years out of them. I wear the cheater style boots. 
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking for a pair of comfortable workboots. I've been wearing/buying the same pair for over 6 yrs (Timberland PRO 6" Steeltoe).  They are getting a bit heavy.
    Looking to maybe getting some Redwings. Worth it?
    I work at a construction site for a homebuilder. 
    What do ya'll wear/recommend?  

Do you need toe protection? 

If so, a composite toe is gonna be lighter than a steel toe and offer the same protection.  I like Red Wings simply because they fit me well, they are pricier than Wolverienes/etc but find the size/style you like in store then shop online and you can usually save some $$$. 

If you don't need toe protection, look at a pair of unlined boots.  I've heard good things about Woolrich and Thorogood but, personally, have never worn them: https://huckberry.com/store/t/category/footwear/boots/work-boots

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    cheater style boots. 
    I googled it. 

Image result for men wearing thigh high boots
    Oooooohh,  I think those are just precious......  <gag> <choke>
    This made me start looking around. I think I might give Chippewa boots a shot this time round......Made in the USA and only about $60 more than the import ones I buy now. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always wore Wolverines back when I was decking. Very comfy and can take punishment. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    cheater style boots. 
    I googled it. 

Didn’t know I was on google 
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    cheater style boots. 
    I googled it. 

He looks like he brings his bow and arrow to the tanning salon in the winter. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oboz makes great footwear. No breaking in and they last.