Home Cigar 101

First humidor seasoning - 87%?

Gags1892Gags1892 Posts: 15
edited January 2019 in Cigar 101
Hi guys. I received my desktop humidor yesterday from CheapHumidors. It is a Capri 25 Ct. glass-top. Has a built-in, analog hygrometer. Also Has a solid sealing mechanism, as it requires an extra push to close when you let the top fall down freely.

I wiped down the entire humidor with distilled water, and let the sponge sit inside with a digital hygrometer as well. The digital hygrometer is reading between 85-87% RH, while the built-in analog is reading 72%. It has been just over 24 hours.

Ive just removed the sponge and put in a humidifier puck charged with XIKAR 70% PG solution inside the humidor and shut it, about an hour ago. 

What is is my next move? Thank you!

(I’m keeping my current cigars in a travel humi, using the Xikar 70% PG solution)

Comments

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calibrate your Hygrometers to see which is more accurate.

Seasoning a humidor should take one to two weeks.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Gags1892Gags1892 Posts: 15
    edited January 2019
    Both have been calibrated. Digital shows 81%, built-in analog 72%. 

RH has remained steady completely without the sponge, and using humi puck with Xikar 70% PG. 

Is RH just supposed to continue to drop each day? Do I do anything else? Or just keep it closed until the RH reaches desired %?
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw out the analog hygrometer. They are junk.Stick with the digital, you'll get a more accurate reading.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Let it set at least a week so the wood can soak up that humidity. 
    Analog hydrometers don’t work, go with the digit as long as you calibrated it. Boveda packs are much easier than the puck. You would be good with 2 of the 60 gram packs.

Then start planning your next humidor because that 25 ct will be full after you get caught up in one sale.
    Gags1892 said:

RH has remained steady completely without the sponge, and using humi puck with Xikar 70% PG. 

Is RH just supposed to continue to drop each day? Do I do anything else? Or just keep it closed until the RH reaches desired %?
    Both hygrometers have been calibrated, one says 81%, the other 72%? Are they in the same humidor? If so, why do they have different readings?

Is the Rh remaining steady at 72% or 81%?

Is the Rh "remaining steady without the sponge" or "is RH just supposed to continuing to drop each day"?

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree John,  if both hygrometers are calibrated there shouldn't be a 9 point swing in a 25 count humi. Just for the record,  I have an analog hygrometer that runs spot on with my calibrated digital.
    A little dirt never hurt
    edited January 2019
    Update this morning:

analog hygrometer is keeping steady at 72%, digital is now at 78%. 

Progress. It seems the analog is more accurate at this point, no? If it’s remaining constant, and it’s the digital that’s dropping?

im going to let it continue to sit shut - seems to be going the way it should right? Will also pick up some Bovedas today and swap them with the puck. 
    A broken clock tells the correct time twice a day.  Don't trust the analog 

Ha very true. 

Will continue to keep an eye on it and post back. Hoping to see some more drop after work today, and after adding a Boveda packet to the humidor. 
    Gags1892 said:

Both hygrometers have been calibrated, one says 81%, the other 72%? Are they in the same humidor? If so, why do they have different readings?

Is the Rh remaining steady at 72% or 81%?

Is the Rh "remaining steady without the sponge" or "is RH just supposed to continuing to drop each day"?
    The RH remaining steady is the built-in analog. The RH fluctuating by dropping is the digital. 

Guess I’m just confused about which hygro to use as base, especially if the analog has remained consistent at 72%. 

Also, won’t cigars suck up some moisture and drop RH inside once they’re put in? 
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    If the cigars are already being stored at the same humidity then they shouldn't have a lot to soak up when you transfer them into your new humidor.

Just curious, but what method did you use to calibrate your hygrometers?
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Gags1892 said:

Also Has a solid sealing mechanism, as it requires an extra push to close when you let the top fall down freely.

Welcome @Gags1892 (You seem legit.) 

I have heard of "sure seal technology" on lots of humidors, but I have never heard of a "solid sealing mechanism" as a term used describing humidor seals. In my experience, the lid is supposed to close under it's own weight, without an extra push, unless this is some new thing I have never seen. But my initial impression is that your seal is too tight or binding at some place around the lid and this is requiring you to exert an extra push to close it. Maybe that's OK and makes a good seal, maybe not......... Probably not.  

I ask you at this point to take no offence at what I'm about to say. I'm confident in my assessment that your humidor is junk. Your decision to buy this piece of junk does not reflect badly on you. It reflects badly on the industry that cranks out these cheap humidors and preys on an almost universal assumption that anyone who owns more than a handful of cigars needs a wooden desktop humidor.

You are not alone. All of us have been where you are right now, struggling to understand all the variables and obstacles of getting a new humidor to perform well. Here on the forum we get new guys like you asking all the same questions. Just wiped down my first humidor, why won't my RH drop? Why won't my RH rise? Why won't my RH stop rising and falling?

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. 

animal house GIF

OK, my actual advice to you is to start googling coolidors, because everybody needs a back-up parachute. Click on the link below. This would be a good starter cooler. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-28-Quart-Performance-Cooler/23427946?athcpid=23427946&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=16410008-c4a-1683dc3aa39747&athena=true

I use the coleman xtreme line of coolers exclusively. The lids seal well, and My desktop humidors fit inside them nicely. 

edited January 2019
    Thanks to everyone for the input. However:

Update:

digital hydro: 74%
    analog: staying 72%

RH seems to be getting to where it needs to be. I have a Boveda 69 on the side ready to be used. By tomorrow (hopefully), the humidor will have been “seasoning” for 72 hours. If RH is around 72%, do I continue to let it go lower? Or add cigars and a Boveda?
    You can add the boveda anytime. It will absorb humidity higher than its rate and release humidity when it falls below its rating.
    Will do right now!

When do I add my sticks?
    edited January 2019
    Gags1892 said:
    Will do right now!

When do I add my sticks?
    Just because the RH drops into the rage you want, doesn't mean your humi is seasoned. It needs to STAY at the range you want, or it's not ready. And I mean steady for days, not hours. Two guys in this thread have told you it takes a week or more to season a humidor, and I can get a dozen more guys to tell you the same. Try a little patience.

Woke up to this.

Totally get it. Will keep it here for some time....

Now let it sit and balance out. If it holds for a few days then add the cigars. It will probably fluctuate after you add them also
    deadman said:
    Now let it sit and balance out. If it holds for a few days then add the cigars. It will probably fluctuate after you add them also
    Perfect. Will do! Just dropped to 69% and hopefully will hold steady!
    edited January 2019
    If it drops a few points below where you want it to be,..... you can always put the sponge back in.
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
    Just got home from a day with the family. 69% still. Good to see!
    Just posting an update on this situation:

ive added about 8 sticks into the humidor, and 2 Boveda 69% packs. 

RH has been back and forth between 60- 62%. Not sure if my environment is playing a role (live in NJ - really cold/harsh this time of year). Room temp is 69. 
    I find having my hygrometer that close to the bodeva makes it read near the ph of the bodeva instead of what the humidor actually is.  If the sticks were dry, they could be soaking up some humidity as well causing the lower reading.  

Hawkeye said:
    I find having my hygrometer that close to the bodeva makes it read near the ph of the bodeva instead of what the humidor actually is.  If the sticks were dry, they could be soaking up some humidity as well causing the lower reading.  

Gotcha! Will keep an eye on it. 

Does in or out if cellophane make a difference?
    Gags1892 said:

shocked blunt talk GIF
    Gags1892 said:
    Hawkeye said:

Gotcha! Will keep an eye on it. 

I believe the consensus is no.  Keep in cello if you are going to move them around a lot to help protect the cigars, otherwise it doesn't matter much.
    Cello it is...

Update: RH holding steady at 62%

4 days later: holding 63%. 

Thanks for all the help help guys!