Home Cigar 101

SoS.. need help with humidor. Details and pic attached

OceanfrontbackwoodsOceanfrontbackwoods Posts: 43 ✭✭✭
edited February 2019 in Cigar 101
Have had this humidor for a few years and never seem to make it right. Have some decent sticks in there and would love to get it consistent.

Issue: low humidity and high temp.

Conditions: 44% 81 degrees
initial and recent seasoning wipes, Humi-care beads with juice..

Question :) should I get a laptop fan to sit it on to keep cool?
Should I re-season, freeze while they're out? Also know nothing about freezing 

Best Answers

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    For actual advice, that thing looks like it probably doesn't have a good seal. A little electrical tape around the edges should help with that. I would put some around the analog hygrometer as well, just to make sure its solid. 

Put the sticks into some Tupperware, or double bag them in Ziploc to keep them stable throughout this process. If you can get a boveda at your preferred humidity (try 65 for the cubans) and toss it in the bag.

Get a boveda seasoning kit. Toss it in. Close the lid. Ignore it for about 2 weeks. Do not open it.

In two weeks, replace the seasoning boveda with your preferred humidity one, and wait a couple of days. Then check. If you are stable, move your sticks in, and leave closed for another couple of days.

Low and slow is the key here. Anything faster can cause warping, mold, and other issues.

Enjoy. (And lighten up.)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

Answers

• OceanfrontbackwoodsOceanfrontbackwoods Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @peter4jc Relax, take a deep breath and it will be over soon.
    Welcome to the forum oceanfront.
    It is almost impossible to keep your humidor stable.
    Get a Sterilite Tupperware container and several 65% Bovedas to store your cigars.
    The best use for the wood humidor is storage for cutters, lighters and etc.
    Sliding glass top of Cohiba? Very interesting. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I reseason every winter. Get some Boveda packs. Also the fuller it is the better it works. I recommend blowing up a couple quart size ziplock baggies to take up space. 
    Guitarded said:
    @peter4jc Relax, take a deep breath and it will be over soon.
    Welcome to the forum oceanfront.
    It is almost impossible to keep your humidor stable.
    Get a Sterilite Tupperware container and several 65% Bovedas to store your cigars.
    The best use for the wood humidor is storage for cutters, lighters and etc.
    Sliding glass top of Cohiba? Very interesting. 
    Thank you for the welcome and info! I do feel i may overthink it.. but if it's at those levels when i go to smoke aren't I getting sub par results? I understand the Cuba and Dominican is hot reasoning but want a nice smoke. As far as the 'cohiba' :) it's flip top actually but pretty sure fake (cozemel) I have legit Cubans but those were impulse and I liked the box
    Rhamlin said:
    I reseason every winter. Get some Boveda packs. Also the fuller it is the better it works. I recommend blowing up a couple quart size ziplock baggies to take up space. 
    Thanks! The baggies are an awesome idea.. should just buy more cigars I guess though 😏 and yeah, heat up and low humidity in the house too.. makes sense
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of those fake Fohiba's and fill with real Cubans.

Problem solved
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

edited February 2019
    Get rid of those fake Fohiba's and fill with real Cubans.

Problem solved
    I said above.. I knew those were fake when I bought them in cozemel because I liked the box. Also have real Cubans in there.. 

So by problem solved.. wrong. I asked for advice not some **** thinking he's funny
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is funny, though. :D
    @Oceanfrontbackwoods But don't take the humor seriously. The people are great here.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't ruffle the Assman's feathers...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Don't ruffle the Assman's feathers...

I'm having trouble with that image.
    @Yakster and I used to be on a coffee forum and one of the guys had the username Buttwhiskers.  Try that on for size.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I was kicked off that forum for guilt by association. The others were invited back provided they bowed and kissed the ring, I wasn't given the option.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    I may be the only to thank you for that, young fella.  It had the same effect as feeding a stray cat.
    Wylaff said:
    For actual advice, that thing looks like it probably doesn't have a good seal. A little electrical tape around the edges should help with that. I would put some around the analog hygrometer as well, just to make sure its solid. 

Put the sticks into some Tupperware, or double bag them in Ziploc to keep them stable throughout this process. If you can get a boveda at your preferred humidity (try 65 for the cubans) and toss it in the bag.

Get a boveda seasoning kit. Toss it in. Close the lid. Ignore it for about 2 weeks. Do not open it.

In two weeks, replace the seasoning boveda with your preferred humidity one, and wait a couple of days. Then check. If you are stable, move your sticks in, and leave closed for another couple of days.

Low and slow is the key here. Anything faster can cause warping, mold, and other issues.

Enjoy. (And lighten up.)
    Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good plan and will update with anything worthwhile. 

I love a good joke.. a good joke though lol.. Miller65rod was amateur hour
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Posts: 246 ✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:

Enjoy. (And lighten up.)
    Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good plan and will update with anything worthwhile. 

I mean, he wasn't wrong.  Buying a **** product just because it looks pretty isn't going to get you much more than ridicule around here, and well deserved ridicule at that.
    Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miller65rod was amateur hour
    You see? That's more like it! :D
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Willy_MNWilly_MN Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oceanfrontbackwoods  My initial wooden humidor is now disassembled, and the bottom half is being used as a tray in my coolidor. Another option...

Welcome to the forum, BTW...stick around and get to know everyone. It's a great group of people!
    Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations.
    #f**kyourhashtags
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTF do you know about cigar jokes? You ain't got but nine or ten "real" cigars, in a humidor you can't manage. No wonder you ain't got no sense of humor. Probably dehydrated too from all the tears. 
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    STFU Bobby!!  He wanted to know if he should get a laptop fan to sit on his humidor to keep it cool...….you can't buy this kinda cigar humor anywhere!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    edited February 2019
    Bob_Luken said:

WTF do you know about cigar jokes? You ain't got but nine or ten "real" cigars, in a humidor you can't manage. No wonder you ain't got no sense of humor. Probably dehydrated too from all the tears. 
    Let me apologize if I came off as salty or offended by the joke.  
    Apparently I'm at the cigar bar 🙂 if I knew you guys *maybe I'd get it but nonetheless.. just asked for advice and don't understand what's helpful about poking at what I know are fohibas w/o help, or I have no sense of humor because I only have 9 or 10 real cigars lol.. one has nothing to do with the other. I'm a recreational smoker, not rich and that's a couple hundred worth. I'd love some more and I'll pm address if you could share lol.. seriously 😊

And I read putting humidor on a laptop fan cools it (which it would I think, right?) not on it. But again thanks any help

Post edited by Oceanfrontbackwoods on
    edited February 2019
    edited February 2019
    Stubble said:
    STFU Bobby!!  He wanted to know if he should get a laptop fan to sit on his humidor to keep it cool...….you can't buy this kinda cigar humor anywhere!
    Okay that was funny lol. I did read putting it ON one could help since gf keeps heat at 84. But so far best zing in the thread
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oceanfrontbackwoods if you are going to stick around then coolidor is the only option. Trust me I just bought a new one...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....