Home Ratings & Reviews

Mark Twain Memoir No. 1

Mark Twain Memoir No. 1:
---------------------------------
Beautiful chocolate wrapper. Smell off the body nice, cocoa, espresso, a bit of spice on the foot. Solid build, double cap, rolled tight, no visible imperfections. Rough, but not toothy.

Band looks good, artistic. Loose draw, taste of espresso, a bit of hay.

1st 3rd:
----------
Full strength for me. Strong on retro hale, long finish. I'm getting, hay, grass, earth - heavy pepper spice on retro, long finish. A little bitter on finish. Ending 1st getting flowery notes. Loose draw.

Smoke pretty light off the foot, but heavy on draw. Smoke off foot started to pick up ending 1st 3rd. Thick, rich smoke. Nice white ash; pretty solid, just a bit of a flake, seems to be from the wrapper.

Burn is a little uneven, nothing major or require of a touch up. Ash holding up about an inch so far.  Correcting itself. Feeling a little buzz nearing the 2nd 3rd. starting to settle in to a medium-full going into the 2nd.
2nd 3rd:
-----------
More mellow now. Smooth, pepper gone, mellow earth tones. Short finish now. Light on the palate.  Very mellow on retro hale now, but still packing a punch. Bitterness gone, a lot more subtle.

Getting grass, flowers, lighter flavors then a transition back to earth.

Draw the same. Smoke still light off foot. Still smoky. Thick in mouth on draw. Ash holding up, but a lot of visible cracks; not as solid looking. Burn little wonky again, not bad. Ash fell, inch and half in. Touch up was required.

Last 3rd:
-----------
Strength picking back up on retro hale. Changing from Med to full between draws. Earth tones never completely go away, however, the mellow tones are gone, and the harder notes are back.

Licorice, wood, smoky, a little leather. 
Smoke getting heavy off foot; same on draw. Burn wonky again, and required a touch up. Ash holding up an inch since fall.

Overall:
----------
The smell and flavor transitions of this stick are amazing. The smoke smells great, and the blend produces great flavors along with strength. One minute you're getting earthy tones, next minute a intro of flowers; very aromatic. Same on strength, starts off strong, making it's presence felt, mellows out a bit, and then comes back with a back hand to bring you back to what this stick is about...FULL BODY NICENESS! So, High Med, full body for me, definitely complex flavors; an after a meal smoke.

Smoke out light on foot until the last 3rd, heavy on draw all the way through. A couple of touch ups were needed, but nothing horrible. Ash holds up pretty good, a little flaky visually, but not snowing down while smoking...which is acceptable to me. Never got hot, stayed solid.

This is a great smoke. One I do regularly, and definitely 
recommend. Nubbed it!

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you'd pick better sticks to review.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TheBrooklynWayTheBrooklynWay Posts: 78 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yakster said:
    I wish you'd pick better sticks to review.
    "Better" is very subjective don't you think? What is better in "your" opinion? What "should" I be reviewing?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should learn your audience.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll agree with Yak on this one. Your reviews are very good but I'd be more interested in seeing a better cigar reviewed. I smoke cheap cigars most of the week if I have time at all, but on the weekends I tend to want a good boutique blend (or six). I'd rather see a boutique blend reviewed than a run of the mill everyday smoke. Just my two cents. 
    That's a valid point. 
    edited April 2019
    Yakster said:
    You should learn your audience.
    I've smoked everything from the expensive to the bundles, and I review everything. I speak with an open mind, and an unbiased one. When you say "You should learn your audience", that sounds rather arrogant to say, unless you took a poll of this entire forum that you can provide me with.

Ultimately, I respect your opinion on a cigar, but please do not suggest I review "better" cigars, because you are violating cigar etiquette 101. You may not like the cigar that I review today, but you may tomorrow. I do this for any and all cigar smokers, from those that can afford top shelf, to those who chose not to splurge.

I hope in the future if I review a cigar you don't like you can keep in mind someone may, and you can leave your opinion on the cigar (if you smoked it) or move on to another topic.

Also, I would be happy and am open for any suggestions if someone would like my opinion on a cigar. Let me know, and I will do my best to get my hands on one (if I don't have one already).
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Yakster said:
    IxNameBrandFactory
    1The Boondock SaintBWS/BLTCOveja Negra
    2Bishops BlendBWS/BLTCOveja Negra
    3SobremesaDumbarton TTJoya de Nic
    4The TabernacleFoundationAJ Fernandez
    5UmbagogDumbarton TTNic American Cigars
    6Mi QueridaDumbarton TTNic American Cigars
    7Maestro del TiempoWarpedTABSA
    8Flor de CesarBnB CigarsOveja Negra
    9GrimalkinEmilioOveja Negra
    10Coleccion ReservaLa Gloria CubanaLa Alianza
    11Killer BeeBWS/BLTCOveja Negra
    12Hemingway SignatureArturo FuenteA. Fuente
    13Le Bijou 1922My FatherMy Father
    14MorphineBLTCOveja Negra
    15Red KnightJas Sum KralNew Order of the Ages
    16DeliveranceBWS/BLTCOveja Negra
    17Little BorisTatuajeMy Father
    18Sin CompromisoDumbarton TTJoya de Nic
    19The Wise Man MaduroFoundationTABSA
    20Muestra de Saka NacatamaleDumbarton TTJoya de Nic
    21The Bride (Monster)TatuajeMy Father
    22Diademas Finas (50th)DavidoffDavidoff
    23Zombie Biohazard GreenViaje-
    24Improvisation 30 YearsAvoO.K. Cigars
    25Zombie AntidoteViajeRaices Cubanas

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please indulge a couple more thoughts - in another post, rather than editing the above...

One of the things I hate more than anything (and my ex was the best at this) is when people assume my motives.  I realize I may have done to you what I hate to have done to me, which would demote me to 'major douchebag'.  We may never know if my presuming was baseless, but if evidence comes in down the road that I was wrong I'll gladly wear that 'major douchebag' sign around my neck.

Something we've seen on this forum and remarked on in conversations, is the maturing (for lack of a better word) of a smoker's palate - people join who were recently introduced to premium cigars and after a not-so-long a time they realize their premium cigars weren't all that premium.  Most, if not all, go through that, as is evidenced by a crapload of cigars in our humidors after a year or two of smoking, cigars that we bought as newbs - based on 'a great deal' or on 'a great review'.  This isn't coming from a snob who 'progressed' beyond that stage and now looks down on those smoking some basic/common/mainstream cigars; it's just a reflection on what happens to most who join this forum and hang around.  Maybe it's just that the culture here is such that people abandon their newb smokes so they can blend in with the cool kids smoking the boutiques, but I don't think so.  I think some of this train of thought might be behind @yakster's post too.

Lastly, we need to keep in perspective the purpose and efficacy of reviews.  I've used online reviews to help in decisions whether to buy a box or three.  Over time we find online reviewers whose palates we can trust and relate to, and aren't simply wanting an online presence or like getting free cigars which lead to biased opinions.  One thing I've learned is to take a group of those reviewers and form a consensus opinion to guide me in my purchases.  I do the same thing with forum members - I learn who has similar tastebuds and tastes and will buy based on what I hear them saying.  The point is a single reviewer (IMNSHO) doesn't carry as much weight because there's great variation from smoker to smoker; case in point, somebody here smoked a CAO Colombia he didn't like, another guy said he likes them, the first guy says 'you can have the rest of what I have'.  There just needs to be some caution persuing cigars based on one reviewer's opinion, at least until we know that person and how their palate relates to ours.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    I read your comments, and understand your opinion. I don't agree. I will continue to be a good standing member as I can be, and do what I do. One thing I've learned over my years mingling (especially in forums) is you can't "try" to make people like you. You're always going to have those few that have their feelings about you or what you're doing until you "prove yourself worthy" (to them). I'm going to give my opinion on the cigars I smoked, and if a member likes it, great, if not, it's ok. I'm not going to go back and forth about what you or anyone thinks my intentions are, should be, could be, etc, because I'm not here for that. I'm here to give my opinion on what I smoked, and engage with others who liked or didn't like the cigar.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I'm here to give my opinion on what I smoked, and engage with others who liked or didn't like the cigar.

We learn from each other on this forum without too much formality. You have joined us with a specific goal apparently,....  to present your reviews and discuss your reviews. Is that all you plan to do? If that's all you're here for, you're missing out.

I know we can be a tough crowd. Sorry.
    Peter, I don't think you have earned the rank of Major Douchebag yet, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. There is a hat, though, if I am wrong:

Worlds Greatest Douchebag Cap by myshirtsucks
    Ahhh... but the day is not yet over... I still have time to prove myself.  And I intend to add more here later when time allows.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Meh. I'm for more people getting their thoughts down to share with others.  Like has been said, if you find a group of reviewers with similar tastes it can be helpful to amalgamate their reviews to find something you might like.

As long as the reviews are genuine, not a sales tactic, or some other promotional effort.

I know it's 6 of one, half dozen of another, but I've always preferred to see all the reviews of a reviewer on one thread.  I can get a feel for their history that way if I'm new to reading their reviews.  It jacked me up, though, when the forum switched and didn't carry over any of my post titles with the cigar names on reviews I didn't get pics with. 

I also have a slow internet connection so the many really big pictures take forever to load.

I welcome @TheBrooklynWay and his efforts.  It's not my style to immediately jump down someone's throat.  I'll give it some time.  Sure, it's a bit odd to just jump in with reviews and self-promote in this community, but I've seen others where it's kind of the norm. 

Just write well and share a variety and I'm happy.

Welcome.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    You are absolutely correct, Steve.  The above is well put.

Time will tell.  Why someone creates an account and manages the relationships with our family always comes to the surface.

So far, all I've heard is 'I'll do what I want, post what I want, and nobody can tell me otherwise'.  That to me sounds like self-promotion and spam, and getting free exposure at Ccom's expense.  Even @miller65rod can take advice; when they said these bums have no meat on 'em, he started posting more amply-proportioned examples.  How would you or most of us respond, when entering a new forum, upon hearing some well-intentioned advice?  We'd say 'good points' and keep a lower profile until we know the people of the forum.  I still say @TheBrooklynWay is here to serve his own purposes while cloaking it as presenting a service to the forum.  I hope I'm wrong.

@TheBrooklynWay, this is the second time in as many weeks that someone used terms like 'proven themselves worthy'.  The pushback I/we gave you has nothing to do with any judgment on your person or worthiness to belong here or squeezing you to 'fit in'.
    This is all rather exhausting. Ok, first things first, lets address the elephant in the room..."self promotion" "I'm here to serve my own purpose" as Peter put it. Yes! I am here to self promote, never denied that, yes, I have a facebook group, which was evident from the start, I have a website coming, and I'm working on a youtube channel...all in which I always said. I even shared photos of my home, my lounge and herf/youtube video location. All of the above I have always said. Now, the question is, is that the ONLY reason I'm here? Am I "genuine"...whew. I don't like to have to defend my character, and Peter, I'd like to think you wouldn't take to kindly to anyone coming at you in the real world, say a cigar lounge, the way you're addressing me...however, I'll answer the genuine thing like this, I'm a real guy, I'm simple, honest and to the point.

If I were a spammer, or someone whom didn't care to be here, and converse with the cigar lovers here, I could have easily bombed this place with promo links and left, made a new screen name and did it again. I took time to answer and respond to everything brought to my attention. I think I have been respectful and polite.

I am here to share my opinion on cigars that I have smoked, or came across. I enjoy what I do, and take it seriously, but claim to be no professional. If someone reads my review, likes it or debates it, It's an honor for me because their time could have been spent elsewhere. With me being a reviewer I do speak for myself, and try to speak to everyone the best I can. If I'm asked about a cigar, or asked to review it, I take that as a compliment or a sign of someone appreciating what I do, so Peter, you taking everything that I have said (which seems impossible to me) and boiling it down to "'I'll do what I want, post what I want, and nobody can tell me otherwise", is insane to me, but, if that is what you got out of EVERYTHING I have said...maybe you just have your feelings against me or what I represent. That's fine.

Ultimately, we are all grown men and women, and WILL do what we want. I'm sure I cant MAKE you smoke a stick of my choosing Peter, as you haven't like my selection so far lol. It's ok. For all those reading, I'm not mad at anything. I am here to promote myself as I have worked hard on what it is I'm doing, however, I'm here because I want to be here chatting with you fine folks.

I end with this. If anyone here has a suggestion on a cigar, send me a message. I do my reviews for everyone, even you Peter. I respect this lifestyle a great deal, and I respect other alike. If you guys don't want me here, I don't want any trouble, I'll be out of your hair. You all be well.

Thank you Bob, Amos & Martel.
    This is all rather exhausting. 
    I agree. Light up a cigar of your choosing, put your feet up and enjoy. 
    "I don't like to have to defend my character, and Peter, I'd like to think you wouldn't take to kindly to anyone coming at you in the real world, say a cigar lounge, the way you're addressing me...however, I'll answer the genuine thing like this, I'm a real guy, I'm simple, honest and to the point."

I'll say it again, nobody is saying your character is flawed.  If I point a finger at someone I have three fingers pointing back at me.  Nobody is "coming at you".  And if this was at my cigar lounge, I certainly would speak up if someone was trying to use the lounge for purposes other than what the owners intended.

"If I'm asked about a cigar, or asked to review it, I take that as a compliment or a sign of someone appreciating what I do, so Peter, you taking everything that I have said (which seems impossible to me) and boiling it down to "'I'll do what I want, post what I want, and nobody can tell me otherwise", is insane to me, but, if that is what you got out of EVERYTHING I have said...maybe you just have your feelings against me or what I represent. That's fine."

But that was basically your retort when a couple of people asked to 'know your audience' or post reviews more typical of what the majority of member smoke.  Not "I'll take that into consideration" but more like it's my review and my choice what cigars I review.

So look, I don't have a bone to pick w/ you personally.  What you post won't affect me.  And I hope you hang around in spite of this kerfuffle.  Let's imagine that you do hang around, become an integral part of who we are with trades like Bob is suggesting, etc.  I hope you will care enough about the family here to speak up when you feel you should for the betterment of the forum.  That's all I'd ask.

p.s. I'd apologize, but it scares @mill@miller65rod when I do.

We return you know to our regularly scheduled program.  
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Yes oh learned one......... :p
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So in my opinion, the @TheBrooklynWay cigar reviews read a lot like a product description that you'd find on ccom or JR websites.  Every cigar is great and every one is nubbed.  Cool, I nub almost all of mine too, but a serious critical reviewer has a discerning pallet.  If a Twain is nubbed the same way a Warlord is the same way a Sobremesa is, then why the hell am I spending 12 bucks on the Sobremesa? 
    Don't look ↑
    Bob_Luken said:
    @TheBrooklynWay
    Have you ever been involved in a forum where you trade cigars with other members? That's a big thing with us. I used to be more involved with trades and passes than I am now. For several years now I have let the trades and passes subside. These days, I'm all about the relationships that I have already formed with the members here. We talk about cigars and also many things besides cigars. But If you think you'd be interested in getting to know a little more about how we usually do things with new members, I could be coaxed out of retirement and would be willing to trade cigars with you. I am curious about the Mark Twain Memoir No.1. If you have enough of those you'd be willing to part with one, I'd like to try one for myself. Check out The Newbie Trading Thread to see how we do it, and let me know if you'd be interested or need any further info. If not, that's OK too.        

We call them bombs. I'm familiar with it, but never have I ever taken part in one. I'd be honored to pull you out of retirement lol, and you will be the first person in all of my years I will have traded packages with. I actually like the Mark Twain, and have bought a couple of boxes. They're great to me for the value. I certainly have a few to spare and wouldn't mind sending you out one or two. Just let me know the details of how you want to orchestrate this trade.