Home General Discussion

V-cutter?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lately, I've seen more guys using the v-cutters.
What are your thoughts of the V vs. a guillotine cutter?
And if you use a v-cutter, what's your preferred v-cutter?
Been thinking about one of the xikar v-cutters, but thinking I might stop by the B&M and grab one of those cheaply ones to see if I really like the v-cut.

Opinions?

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Love my Xikar VX2 V cutter, it's about all I use since I got it. it's shallower than the Colibri, but I haven't tried that one.

Mine cuts clean and keeps tobacco out in my mouth.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly use my v cutter unless the cigar is a corona/lancero, or something with an unusual cap like a torpedo. Like Chris said, I like that it keeps pieces of leaf out of my mouth, and you can’t screw it up unless you’re really trying to. I have the colibri one and I’ve had no complaints about it. It’s heavy and sharp so I don’t mess up caps. I’ve never used the xikar one. Me and @Yakster should try using each other’s v cutters in Milwaukee lol. Shoot me a message if you’re going to get one and I’ll send you a link for where to get one cheap. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a (original old style) Xikar VX at some B&M one time and wasn't impressed.
     Image result for Xikar vx

I tried the colibri v also at a B&M a few years later and was immediately shopping for a colibri v. Got it. Love it. I will acknowledge that I really didn't get enough tries with the Xikar xv to give them a fair comparison. 

I will rotate between my colibri v and my xikar xi1 depending on the cigar. Sometimes if it is a smaller ring gauge, I'll lean towards a straight cut, but more often I use the colibri v. 

I am interested in the newer Xikar VX2. 
      Image result for Xikar vx2
    Article on the Xikar VX2 makes comparisons with the Xikar VX and Colibri V. 
    https://halfwheel.com/xikar-vx2-v-cut 

The VERTIGO VICTORY V-CUTTER looks nice and might be pretty good for the price.

Vertigo Victory V-Cut Cutter - Black - Lighter USA
    $4.00 plus free shipping
    https://www.lighterusa.com/collections/cigar-cutters/products/vertigo-victory-v-cut-cutter-black

Detailed write-up on Halfwheel,......
    https://halfwheel.com/vertigo-victory-v-cutter/83251
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I notice in the photo that Bob_Luken posted that the first two cigars have cracked caps. I have had that experience, the cap falling apart while smoking. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer a straight cut. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the colibri V and haven’t looked back since. It’s like Franks Red Hot Sauce, I use that shlt on everything. Even belicoso’s. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Bob_Luken said:

The VERTIGO VICTORY V-CUTTER looks nice and might be pretty good for the price.

Vertigo Victory V-Cut Cutter - Black - Lighter USA
    $4.00 plus free shipping
    https://www.lighterusa.com/collections/cigar-cutters/products/vertigo-victory-v-cut-cutter-black

Detailed write-up on Halfwheel,......
    https://halfwheel.com/vertigo-victory-v-cutter/83251
    I have one of these. Doesn’t cut very deep so I cross cut it. (Double cut)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have both straight and v-cut.  Usually use the straight cut, especially on Torpedoes and Perfectos.  My V-cutter is pretty shallow on anything > 48 rg, so I X it.  I like it especially on triple-cap cigars with high quality construction.  Makes the nub hold together a little better for a more complete burn of the cigar.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    I just use my knife; it's always on me and I don't have to worry about carrying extra shít in my pocket. On smaller ring gauges, teeth do a good job.

If the cigar is a perfecto, I just bum a straight cutter from the nearest person. 

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered my first v cut, Colibri Firebird Viper 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
    I notice in the photo that Bob_Luken posted that the first two cigars have cracked caps. I have had that experience, the cap falling apart while smoking. 
    I use the colibri v (the one in the middle of photo). I can't recall mine ever cracking like that. Maybe a few times and I didn't even notice, but it wasn't detrimental to the performance of the cigar. I think the guy cutting them for the review was probably putting too much pressure on the cigar during the cut. 
    Yeah, I don't see cracks in the wrapper when I cut my cigars.

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V cut on everything except a torpedo or belli.  The Colibri Firebirds are cheap, sharp, and have a key ring.  I have them hanging everywhere
    edited June 2019
    @Yakster said he used his v on torpedos and belicosos. This got me to try cutting them with my colibri v cutter also, and besides the fact that they look even more like a fish's mouth than usual, works fine. 
    Sport Fishing
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You let me down, @Bob_Luken...  that's a photo, and I've come to expect a gif from you.  You are, after all, the forum king of gifs.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • OldGnomeOldGnome Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    I mentally flip a three-sided coin when I am preparing to smoke a cigar to choose between a v-cutter, punch or straight. It's been a good 15 years of regular cigar smoking and I still don't have a favorite cut.
    =-=-=-=
    Just an Old Gnome
  • TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    I use the colibri v (the one in the middle of photo). I can't recall mine ever cracking like that. Maybe a few times and I didn't even notice, but it wasn't detrimental to the performance of the cigar. I think the guy cutting them for the review was probably putting too much pressure on the cigar during the cut. 
    I agree, I also prefer the Colibri V and have not had issues with cracked caps.  The cut looks a little  wonky in that pic as if there was a little twitch when cutting that could've done that
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a v-cut but not cutters. I prefer to use my knife. 
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the v-cut for larger ring cigars.  I haven't had a problem with them falling apart.
  • CRAYZ_HURRICANESCRAYZ_HURRICANES Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Firebird v cut on most, and a punch on the others. Both work good and keep the tobacco out of my mouth. 
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I ever smoked a cigar sans tobacco in my mouth...   :#
    Don't look ↑
    It's the darn loose pieces that drive me nuts and keep me using a v-cutter rather than a straight guillotine cutter.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I ever smoked a cigar sans tobacco in my mouth...   :#
    Get with the program brother. I just chew up that leaf and it's all cool.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Sigh. 2B Bob always the one.

Most people I have watched, use the guillotine incorrectly. Just an observation. 
    I seldom have loose tobacco in my mouth. It happens, but it is rare, unless its Backwoods.
    Use to do nothing but the Churchill cut, but the bullet is now on my keychain. Just more convenient.
    I have a cigar knife that has the sharpest edge of all my knives, I mean razor sharp, it will do any cut with very little effort.
    edited July 2019
    jd50ae said:
    Sigh. 2B Bob always the one.

Most people I have watched, use the guillotine incorrectly. 

Use to do nothing but the Churchill cut, 

How are most people using a guillotine wrong? And, how do I do it correctly? 

And what duh heck is a churchill cut?  ("Churchill cut" gets me zero results on google.) Is that where you just bite the head off? Or poke a hole in it? 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winston Churchill (you may remember him from your history books) used a sharp instrument of some sort (I believe a knife) to make the original V-Cut in his cigars.

I don't know that it is wrong, but generally not the depth that it was meant for.
    You open a guillotine and lay it on the table, you put the cigar in and squeeze. Most people take a bit more off by holding the cigar in the air and applying the guillotine. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I personally prefer a lighter cut, which is why I now use a bullet.