Home Non Cigar Related

train derailment

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
Capt:
Guys, lets try to keep this thread on track. thanks.
I am so guilty of this. we do have a tendency to go off topic a bunch on the cigar sections of the forum. I am going to try not to post off topic anymore unless it is inthe non cigar related section. with any luck we will have more in-depth debate/discussion about cigars where it should be.
....just my $0.02

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This is a good thought and I agree, but I also think that the very nature of a discussion is to evolve and take on new avenues and such. Sometimes it gets a little out of hand around here, but it is usually fun and in the spirit of friendly banter. But you are right, there is a place for the back and forth conversations that go on around here and this is it.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I actually disagree, when a forum is this small. But I'll bow to majority opinion.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    ill try my best to stay on topic
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I think it depends on the thread... in Capt's thread, it interfered with the ongoing planning and spreading word about the bash.. Also, in the Trades threads, we can kinda get a bit lost. But in many of the other threads, there shouldn't be a reason to allow conversation to drift off-topic once the original topic has had some responses.

I'm with Urby on this one.. conversations tend to evolve into random things.. if the OP wants to keep things on topic, a simple request like Capt's is all that's needed and we'll spread our short attention spans elsewhere.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think that's about where I fall Joe. I like just letting the conversation flow, but I can also understand that it can be frustrating for someone to start a topic and not really have their question/idea/issue addressed before the topic turns into a circus of tongue-in-cheek sex jokes and such. That's not to say I don't enjoy that kind of buffoonery as much as anyone else here, because I do, only that it seems to crop up quite frequently.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i agree with all of you on certain threads we should leave them at the thread its self and not change the subject but on a few other threads i think it is acceptable and like duty said if the original poster ask us to stop i think maybe we should..
    If it's any consolation, this place stays much more on-topic than my family website :)
    As an example, here's the string of one-line replies after the announcement of a new baby (Finnegan Michael Duty):

Now that they have a boy and a girl, does this mean they're Finn-ished?

As they say in the Carolinas, I wonder if dey Finn to have a nuther

It's all Finn and games until somebody gets hurt

Will Finn be a lap lander?

Would have been neat if his middle name was Ali

I just hope they don't take him to the beach. Down here, if you see a Finn in the ocean, it's everybody out of the water.

Geez, he's not even out of the hospital yet

(actual congratulatory post hidden in this mess)

I hope the photos are done with a Matt Finnish (explained - his father's name is Matt)

Enough with the puns. You're driving me to drink. I'll have another Finn and Tonic

After all, you Finn some you lose some

When he gets into his older sister's Barbie collection, he'll be a Doll Finn

If he takes up soccer, they need to make sure they get him a good pair of Finn guards

If he rests on the couch, he prefers to sit on a Finn cushion

...... need I say more?
    Please refrain from sidetracking the thread with posts about other sidetracked threads, duty.
    Sorry.. I guess I still need some more training.
    If it happens again, I'll have to hit you on the nose with a newspaper.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I think it depends on the thread... in Capt's thread, it interfered with the ongoing planning and spreading word about the bash.. Also, in the Trades threads, we can kinda get a bit lost. But in many of the other threads, there shouldn't be a reason to allow conversation to drift off-topic once the original topic has had some responses.

I'm with Urby on this one.. conversations tend to evolve into random things.. if the OP wants to keep things on topic, a simple request like Capt's is all that's needed and we'll spread our short attention spans elsewhere.
    I think this is closest to where I fall on the topic. We get involved in good natured discussion and it does come off topic. A reminder and a repost to get back on track is all it requires. Capt.'s thread was specific and now it is back on topic . Lesson learned by all. No hard feelings.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Don't know if I get a vote yet, but these forums make me laugh, which is why i continue reading them. Those Madurofan/Kuzi/Joe/Kasper streams of consciousness are our modern day equivalent of James Joyce, I do believe. I have so many rules in my life, if I have to add a rule about keeping threads on track, well...
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    *OOOOH!!!! Shiny Red-Ball*
    And with that.... PTFTW!!!

Get it yet?
    dutyje:

Get it yet?
    * * for the win ? I don't know why that just came to mind. Anyway, even if the thread gets off topic, it stays on the active thread, unlike the Newbie post here that has to be revived every few days. Once it gets on the Active posts again plenty of people view it for a day or two but soon gone again. Even off topic, a thread is viewed by its headline and that keeps people aware . So a gentle nudge now and then shows respect for the Original Poster and brings us back on track.
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:

Get it yet?
    * * for the win ? I don't know why that just came to mind. Anyway, even if the thread gets off topic, it stays on the active thread, unlike the Newbie post here that has to be revived every few days. Once it gets on the Active posts again plenty of people view it for a day or two but soon gone again. Even off topic, a thread is viewed by its headline and that keeps people aware . So a gentle nudge now and then shows respect for the Original Poster and brings us back on track.
    * * For The Win!! That's right.... now how is it that I keep winning?
    dutyje:
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:

Get it yet?
    * * For The Win!! That's right.... now how is it that I keep winning?
    Dude , that was so weird I just looked at it and those words came to mind, let me think some more.
    Posting Threads For the Win ?
    nope
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    nope

Positive Thought for the Week?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    4 hours and up to two pages.
    amazing. i said i would "TRY" to stay on topic. though some tangents are expected in life, a little focus will keep it all together. I have gotten to know many of you very well through the tangents, and this in my opinion is a good thing. But why did we all originally log in to the cigar.com forum?
    cigars
    i dont want to lose what made the forum great: pages and pages or great cigar information with entertainment. I dont want this place to be lifeless, i hope that was not the impression i gave. I just want the message that got this place going to not be lost when new people join in.
    Pickle Tickle For The Woman?

Threads should have topics.
    urbino:
    Please refrain from sidetracking the thread with posts about other sidetracked threads, duty.
    p.s. thisw was the best post on this thread. My wife came in to ask what was so funny.
    ahem...
    Page Turn
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    p.s. thisw was the best post on this thread. My wife came in to ask what was so funny.
    Did anyone get the pun in my response?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I actually disagree, when a forum is this small. But I'll bow to majority opinion.
    I disagree as well we don't typically go off topic until the topic has been exhausted. Maybe we should keep people's review threads, Capt's Sunday morning smoke, etc, on topic but aside from those recurring threads I don't see the harm in derailment.