Home Ratings & Reviews

California at it again

PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
MOW badge received.

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally it’s just another reason I’m glad not to live there. That said those who do I have nothing against, just glad to be in Colorado myself is all. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally it’s just another reason I’m glad not to live there. That said those who do I have nothing against, just glad to be in Colorado myself is all. 
    As long as you continue to love -40 degrees and shoveling snow I’m all for ya, Dude. I lived through a winter in Kremmling, CO so I’ve been there, done that......

I’ll take my California winters, Thankya very much....
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to hear a discussion about which state would be the best to live in, only taking into account cigar lifestyle. Something like temperature/humidity of the area, tobacco/sales taxes, public smoking laws, or whatever else affects the decision. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuba?
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tennessee 

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking something along those lines myself. Maybe a little further south for winter. I wonder how the B&M scene is in Atlanta. 
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably Florida just talking cigar lifestyle and such.
    I'm partial to Arizona when it comes to freedom and liberty and all that jazz. Haven't lived there since the early 80's, but I still have an admiration for the west.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
    Florida or some parts of Texas I would say for weather and cigar culture. In the Dallas/Fort Worth area there is a very strong cigar presence and year round smoking weather. Florida is the same but Miami has a huge cigar presence not to mention amazing food. If I was in Miami I would be at the El Rey De Los Habanos Factory weekly (My Father) and loving it. The only downside I could see weather wise would be hurricanes. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    jlmarta said:
    As long as you continue to love -40 degrees and shoveling snow I’m all for ya, Dude. I lived through a winter in Kremmling, CO so I’ve been there, done that......

I’ll take my California winters, Thankya very much....
    It depends on where you live in Colorado to be honest. Here is Loveland we are in a special little protected pocket and rarely get any intense weather. Colorado was slammed with hail this year and there were almost a dozen strong storms that destroyed houses, killed livestock, totaled cars and injured people. We saw hail a grand total of 1 time for all of 5 min and it was gravel size at best and did zero damage. We also always get less rain and snow than anyone around and temps are generally a little higher. So in those terms it’s always fairly mild for us here, but that is not true for many other places in Colorado I grant you. While the cold makes me hurt and is very hard on my diseases/conditions I do live the snow all the same. There are some politics and laws here I really don’t like but overall it’s not too bad. I prefer it to many other places in the USA so overall happy to be here. It’s less the weather and more the laws and politics I can’t stand in a California and several other parts of the USA. Weather wise, California is fantastic. 

I do wish the cigar culture was steonger out here thiugh, it’s fairly weak all things considered. 

Brett
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if your strictly talking "Cigar Culture" it would most big cities. That's where you're going to find a lot more B&Ms and lounges. 

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living right between Ft Lauderdale and Miami, I can say for the cigar culture, it can not be beat.  Weather can be argued depending on where you live.  I own my own home, have a larger than most back yard with a small patio.  BUT, even at night, it is just too hot to sit outside for a cigar.  We have a cold front passing through so last night and this weekend will be fine as around 8:00 pm the temp will be down to about 77F.  The last several weeks it had still been in the mid 80s at 8:00 pm. Not real comfortable to sit outside when you add the humidity.  The good thing is there are several cigar shops and bars in the area, but again they look at you funny when you bring your own cigars.
    And no, no way, no how can I get away with smoking in the house and the garage is hotter than outside.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I've got to say, based on Ricky's lounge photos, WV's starting to look good.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Well, we know California is a liberal (spelled l-o-o-n-y) state and, like certain religions which consider the masses to be too dumb to pray for themselves, said liberals think we’re too dumb to be able to think for ourselves. What can you expect?

So, you take rampant liberalism and blend in the millennial factor and whaddaya get?  

Bedlam. 

Good luck, Y’all.....   B)
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw an article last week that Beverly Hills is trying to pass a ban on the sale of all tobacco products. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg, it is hazardous material.
    Can't be leaving it on the porch, some little brat might steal it and be exposed to tobacco.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's what I've been doing. Most on-line retailers use "Super Saver" shipping to send package to me (Cigar.com, Cigar Bid, etc). It gets picked up by UPS then dropped off to USPS who delivers the package. What I do is upgrade the package to UPS ground and pick up the package up at the UPS store down the street from work. Works great for me.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

WaterNerd said:
    So here's what I've been doing. Most on-line retailers use "Super Saver" shipping to send package to me (Cigar.com, Cigar Bid, etc). It gets picked up by UPS then dropped off to USPS who delivers the package. What I do is upgrade the package to UPS ground and pick up the package up at the UPS store down the street from work. Works great for me.

I've done the same with great results. Packages are in a climate controlled environment till I pick them up.

WaterNerd said:

I've done the same with great results. Packages are in a climate controlled environment till I pick them up.
    How do you define climate controlled environment?

When I infrequently order cigars from back east they often are shipped via Oops. Our house was in an area that was served on thursdays by Oops. Hardly ever saw a brown truck in our area on a day other than Thursday. That means if our package happened to land in their warehouse on a Friday, it was gonna be in that warehouse until the following Thursday. 

And I guaran-damn-tee you that their huge, steel warehouse bldg. sure as hell ain’t air-conditioned. 

Now, what was that definition again, please?  😎
    My definition of Climate controlled would be heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. UPS Stores are.  UPS warehouse aren't

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    NorCalR1 said:
    New law as of 1/1/2020 all online tobacco sales send signature at delivery. I just don’t get what the hell they are thinking some times. You can have weed delivered to your door through an app on your phone no questions asked but heaven for bid you order cigars...  
    Transitioning from one black market to the next, got to keep those prison contracts filled.  California's lawmakers have long known that people are too stupid to let them make their own decisions.  Just keeping up the momentum.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaterNerd said:
    This isn’t a bad idea we have a ups hub down the street as well. 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Two quick thoughts, firstly, it should be said that my remarks above concerning California's legislators are actually pretty much universal and not restricted to any geographical region.

And, I saw an applicable quote recently:

"Nothing so much needs reforming as someone else's bad habits. 
    The fanatic never learns, though it be writ large in gold letters across the sky, prohibition increases value."   
    - Mark Twain

That's from memory, so if I mislaid a word or two forgive me, the sentiment remains intact.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My definition of Climate controlled would be heated in the winter and cooled in the summer. UPS Stores are.  UPS warehouse aren't
    Almost anything would be better than my black, easy-bake-oven mailbox in July. Or my full-sun front porch with porch pirates lurking.  I've had my bigger shipments held at USPS facility for me to pick up. Even though it ain't close to me, it seemed worthwhile.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two quick thoughts, firstly, it should be said that my remarks above concerning California's legislators are actually pretty much universal and not restricted to any geographical region.

And, I saw an applicable quote recently:

"Nothing so much needs reforming as someone else's bad habits. 
    The fanatic never learns, though it be writ large in gold letters across the sky, prohibition increases value."   
    - Mark Twain

That's from memory, so if I mislaid a word or two forgive me, the sentiment remains intact.
    Twain hated any kind of regulation or govt control and voiced his opinion of it several times.

A few politicians of that time hated to see him show up anywhere they were, as his quick wit and intelligence would often make them look the fool.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Not only is adult signature required here, now I got a call from a Cigar etailer letting me know that my cigars have shipped. I guess they're now required to call me even though I got the email yesterday.

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

The signature required is a pain in the butt. Luckily I have everything shipped via UPS and have it held at the local branch that is right by work. Still a pain

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln