Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project torpedo

Draw was about as perfect as it gets. Appearance was a bit rustic but still attractive with its dark toothy wrapper. It's a rich and smooth stick that's not overpowering, but still strong enough to be considered a full bodied cigar IMO. Pre-light draw to me was earth and hay with a nuttiness in the background. Once lit the earth and fresh hay notes were fully released with a mild pepper finish. Room note was of earth, leather and roasted nuts. I didn't find the flavor or room notes changing too much and it was pretty consistent throughout. About half way the fresh hay made its way into the room note, but that's about it. At no point did I experience any bitterness or harshness. Burn was decent but not razor sharp in my experience as others have mentioned. It did need 1 very small touch up in the 2nd third. Overall I was very pleased with first Ramon Bueso.

Comments

• Options
    LocoMechLocoMech Posts: 13

Ok, something went over my head 🤔

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just being an A-hole. We give guys who post reviews a hard time.

I like this cigar a lot, considering it's price range. I bought several boxes back when ccom had a sale on the robustos.

• Options
    edited March 2020

I kinda bought it blind. It came in sampler and I never even read a single review about it before lighting it up. Turned out to be a dang fine smoke that I thoroughly enjoyed.
    As far as reviews in general go, I like to read other peoples reviews after I've smoked something new. I had a Joya Red not long ago that had such a tight draw it was uncomfortable to smoke. Turns out that mine must have been an odd ball because most reviewers reported a decent draw.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also really like this cigar, and generally speaking don't like reviews. You'll find that most people who post reviews on this forum get made fun of, it's nothing personal. I wouldn't be able to say whether this cigar tasted like roasted nuts. I would compare it to how most people react to modern art reviews. Listen to this for a second:

In my opinion it tastes like low sodium peanuts, but the ones that still have the skin on them, and not the ones that don't. It reminds me of the time I spent on a farm 12 years ago for a week. The second third has a hint of whole black peppercorns, mixed with toast that wasn't toasted enough, where it's still a little soggy in the middle.

Now that's most definitely not what you said, but that's how we in this forum tend to view reviews like that. If I were going to review that specific cigar to a friend who asked me if it was good, I'd say:

"Yeah it was, it drew well, and didn't need touch ups. It was peppery and a little bit harsh so I wouldn't smoke it in the morning, but It'll get much better with age. The flavor didn't really change but the one note that it did have was good the whole way through. It cost's like 3 bucks or less per cigar on auction sites, I'd get a bundle and let them sit if you can. It makes a great second smoke, after you've had something else you'll still be able to taste this one."

^^ That's all advice that someone else can use. After all, comparing cigars to tastes like hay or nuts is just a way for us to try and verbalize the flavor, since there aren't English words to describe the various tobacco flavors. Also, when you try and get super specific about the tasting notes, then it becomes unrelatable, since it's influenced by what you ate before you had the cigar, and how burnt your taste buds are over time.

• Options

Also, just my personal opinion, but if you haven't had the other Ramon Bueso stuff:

The Ramon Bueso Habano is meh, and definitely not as good as the Project, and the Ramon Bueso Olancho sucks donkey balls.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Well, one wonders why this portion of the forum is here at all then.
    To chastise someone for how they choose to describe their cigar is equivalent to telling them that they have cut it wrong, lit it wrong, or are smoking it wrong. It's their cigar, their experience and their taste buds.
    Furthermore by making light or straight out making fun of someone who is new to the forum, you run the risk of he/she not wanting to post and be an active member. If this person becomes afraid of ridicule online then they just might be likely to shy away from their local cigar lounge. And one last thing to consider is that if a person feels too ridiculed on this forum it could have an impact on a future sale with cigar.com. It may not be enough for some to simply stop using the forum...there are many other places to get cigars from.
    I'm not saying that any of the above directly applies to myself, but it's something to chew on.

• Options

That's all fair. I'm not ridiculing you at all just so you know, I'm just letting you know how people here tend to react to reviews. You'll see tomorrow when everyone's awake. Stick around though, and don't let our rudeness hinder your enjoyment of cigars. My nickname on here by others is "fuc4ing Calvin" just as an example (thanks @Rhamlin ).

• Options

Oh don't worry about anything hindering my enjoyment of cigars. I've been around it long enough to remember smoking the OpusX at $9 a stick. Which I found to be a terrific cigar at $9 but I won't pay the $30 for it today.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

The forum is set up by the CCOM overlords :D we just live in it and try and make it our own. Stay a while and you'll get a sense of the community here and find out if it's right for you.

Some people like a more moderate forum with a stricter limit on post contents, I find those forums can have useful information when I'm doing research but aren't necessarily a place that I'd like to hang out at all the time to have some fun.

I'm a fan of the Genesis, but agree with @CalvinAndHobo about the Olancho.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah. Blah. Blah blah blah.

Blah blah.

Blah.

Did I cover everything?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Olancho is just bad. Genesis Project is a pretty solid win.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

@LocoMech said:

@0patience said:
    Blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah. Blah. Blah blah blah.

Blah blah.

Blah.

Did I cover everything?

I'm confused by what you mean with the 3rd and 17th "blah". Could you please expand on those 2 comments?

Your sense of humor is appeciated.

I was live on V-herf with Chris when I noticed your review. I chuckled. I told Chris "that new guy Locomech posted a review", We both chuckled. And I was not laughing at you or your review, I was anticipating the anti-review sentiment here, and realizing I already had a gif in mind to illustrate and exaggerate that attitude to the extreme,...... for laughs.

Your review was good. Short and to the point. And I like the fact that you're back into cigars and discovering all the stuff you've missed. Personally, I'd like to see you post more short reviews because you are in a unique situation, coming out of hibernation, to give us your thoughts on a lot of stuff we have already tried. We joke about the descriptive terms. Plenty of us believe reviews can be too descriptive to be credible. Try not to use the term "sea salt". Carry on.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let them harsh your mellow, @LocoMech. Reviews on this forum are like fat girls and mopeds: They're super fun, but you don't want your friends to catch you enjoying one. These people on the forum have reputations to uphold!

Personally, I can't taste unicorn sweat or succulent truffles in tobacco, so the tasting notes are lost on me. I once tasted buttered popcorn in a kristoff orange banded cigar, and I get cherries from opus on the cold draw. 9tger than that, I taste Broadleaf, habano, Criollo, and some other tabaco flavors, but just tabacco. Even with the infused stuff I get nothing other than overwhelming sugar sweetness on the tongue, which is why I don't enjoy those at all.

Still, if it's your jam, then go for it and fùçk the rest. Just make sure you're not starting a new thread about a cigar that's already been reviewed and has its own thread, or some old timer will admonish you :smiley:

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and the olancho is okay...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am digging that copper cup though.
    There is that. :D

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Sweat Rainbow - Unicorn - Tank Top - HUMAN

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LocoMech said:
    @VegasFrank I've given some thought to the subject of unicorn sweat. My conclusion is that I can't say that I've knowingly tasted unicorn sweat. However I can't say that I've unknowingly tasted unicorn sweat. Lacking the refined palate it would require to pick up notes of mystical creatures I may have in fact experienced the magical bouquet of unicorn sweat and not realized it.
    I must now sit and think about my life choices. Where did it all go wrong?

😂 I like this guy, he’s going to fit in good.

• Options

Soooooo....if unicorns sweat rainbows and a person can taste the rainbow every time he/she eats Skittles then I can definitely say that I do in fact know what unicorn sweat tastes like. With this information I can safely say that I did not pick up any notes of unicorn sweat in the Ramon Bueso. Thanks @silvermouse

• Options

Description of unicorn sweat please, I need answers

• Options
    edited March 2020

@deadman said:

Sweet and chewy with a slightly tart aftertaste. Corn syrup takes front stage on the palate with red 40 lingering in the background. Sits a little heavy so most appropriate after an evening meal. Pairs well only with water or a strong sumatran coffee do to the sweetness of said sweat. Hope this helps.

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had Bitter Unicorn Tears but not unicorn sweat. The flavor of the former is enjoyable if you care for hoppy beer...the other, I am not sure of the flavor...

• Options

@LocoMech said:

@deadman said:

Sweet and chewy with a slightly tart aftertaste. Corn syrup takes front stage on the palate with red 40 lingering in the background. Sits a little heavy so most appropriate after an evening meal. Pairs well only with water or a strong sumatran coffee do to the sweetness of said sweat. Hope this helps.

🤤 red 40