Home General Discussion

What Wineador would you get off Amazon?

So i had ordered a wytner 400ct

However I cancelled the order to weigh over my options after seeing a lot of bad reviews

The last thing I want is to sink a few hundred bucks into this and only have it brake a few months in

What would you get or what do you have for a Wineador if it was to be had off Amazon?

Tagged:

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said ^^^
    One of my whynters started blowing hot air after having it about 2 years. I simply ordered a new heat sink and board and watched a youtube video to fix it.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• BanksyBanksy Posts: 29

I am under the assumption this is the case too

All these winadors are the same

From. New air to whytner

It is just essentially wine fridge

Or just a metal box with a seal in general that can control the temp

All other things relate to the size and appearance

However I just wanted other people's input

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer Whynter, but if I had to buy another New Air, I would go for the heated/cooled model.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

@BKDog said:
    I prefer Whynter, but if I had to buy another New Air, I would go for the heated/cooled model.

When did you get yours? Have you had issues? I want a whytner.. however people are saying reliability wise they are terrible

I have a new air that I bought as a winecooler. It's the same size as my whynter but was 200 cheaper because it was just a wine fridge. Took out the metal racks and used a shelf from the whynter

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up a winecooler from Craigslist cheap with only one wine bottle rack in it.

I ditched the rack and found that cutting down some cooling racks from Michaels fit so I used this and some cedar shelves that @avengethis was kind enough to offer.

https://www.michaels.com/cooling-rack-by-celebrate-it/10058219.html

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

@Usaf06 said:
    I have a new air that I bought as a winecooler. It's the same size as my whynter but was 200 cheaper because it was just a wine fridge. Took out the metal racks and used a shelf from the whynter

So I am correct in assuming a regular wine cooler will work

@Yakster said:
    I picked up a winecooler from Craigslist cheap with only one wine bottle rack in it.

I ditched the rack and found that cutting down some cooling racks from Michaels fit so I used this and some cedar shelves that @avengethis was kind enough to offer.

https://www.michaels.com/cooling-rack-by-celebrate-it/10058219.html

Wait... I can buy just s regular wine fridge and somebody off here can make shelves for it?

How much are they?

Wine fridges top out at about 65 F where the coolidors usually can be set higher. When it's hot my wine fridge is only about 10 degrees cooler than the house anyway.

But I couldn't pass it up for $30.

@Banksy said:

@BKDog said:

When did you get yours? Have you had issues? I want a whytner.. however people are saying reliability wise they are terrible

I got the Whynter off Amazon when it was on sale, something like 40% off. Never had an issue, got it a couple years ago or so. I got the New Air the same way, but it arrived dented badly (not their fault it was sent via Fedex), they gave me $50 cash back which was nice, I kept it and it doesn't maintain humidity so I turned it into a straight cooler and keep my cigars in tupperware inside of it. I don't pay any mind to the reviews, as most people are too stupid to actually give a fair review. I would go for a heated/cooled unit because I live in the Northeast and the weather varies often and wildly. I could probably buy new parts for the New Air and have it good as new, but I only spent something like $200 for it and now I buy Coleman Xtreme coolers exclusively because they are just easier to maintain, cost less, and work fine.
    Man, just thinking about that, six coolers, a large wooden 3 sq. ft. humidor, a dozen acrylic jars of assorted sizes, a couple Sistema humidors, a large whynter coolidor and a medium New Air, plus all the show boxes filled with pipe tobacco...I am definitely a sick puppy. I checked my CBid history and tallied up the purchases from 2017 to now and I stopped counting after I got to $6,000 and I hardly buy anything from there anymore, mostly boutiques and limited releases now. I'm one of those dummies who had to try to smoke everything, but apart from the occasional Gurkha and perhaps one or two other cigars, never had any that sucked. I guess what I'm saying is, I am not a wealth of knowledge here, and I didn't even know I could use a Coleman cooler until I came to this forum.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    But I couldn't pass it up for $30.

Is it the compressor type and you don’t plug it in?
    Just saw one on Craigslist with a bad compressor for $25. Says it’s a 36 bottle size

@BKDog said:

@Banksy said:

@BKDog said:

I got the Whynter off Amazon when it was on sale, something like 40% off. Never had an issue, got it a couple years ago or so. I got the New Air the same way, but it arrived dented badly (not their fault it was sent via Fedex), they gave me $50 cash back which was nice, I kept it and it doesn't maintain humidity so I turned it into a straight cooler and keep my cigars in tupperware inside of it. I don't pay any mind to the reviews, as most people are too stupid to actually give a fair review. I would go for a heated/cooled unit because I live in the Northeast and the weather varies often and wildly. I could probably buy new parts for the New Air and have it good as new, but I only spent something like $200 for it and now I buy Coleman Xtreme coolers exclusively because they are just easier to maintain, cost less, and work fine.
    Man, just thinking about that, six coolers, a large wooden 3 sq. ft. humidor, a dozen acrylic jars of assorted sizes, a couple Sistema humidors, a large whynter coolidor and a medium New Air, plus all the show boxes filled with pipe tobacco...I am definitely a sick puppy. I checked my CBid history and tallied up the purchases from 2017 to now and I stopped counting after I got to $6,000 and I hardly buy anything from there anymore, mostly boutiques and limited releases now. I'm one of those dummies who had to try to smoke everything, but apart from the occasional Gurkha and perhaps one or two other cigars, never had any that sucked. I guess what I'm saying is, I am not a wealth of knowledge here, and I didn't even know I could use a Coleman cooler until I came to this forum.

Can you get the heated/cooling one off Amazon? Link?

No, it works and it's the thermo-electric type, not the compressor type.

Has to be therno-electric.

-- Winston Churchill

• Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a new air off Amazon for the heating and cooling feature. It's been sitting there pretty much untouched for 10 months and the humidity and temp rarely move. I have a wireless Temp/humidity monitor So I can check it from anywhere. Finally smoked one out of there last week and it was perfect.

Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.

If you do just get a thermo electric wine cooler... Do the shelves you put in it NEED to be Spanish cedar or can I just use metal ones?

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don’t NEED shelves, after CAS kicks in you will be playing Tetris to get everything packed in anyway.
    If you are buying a bunch of singles or 5ers get some plastic baskets and use a few wire shelves.
    If you aren’t confused enough, check Letgo (an online garage sale) for wine coolers.
    I have a Wine Enthusiast with no shelves and it is only plugged in during the summer.
    Where are you located? If you have a basement forget all of this and get a Large cooler, a dozen 65% bovedas, and don’t bother with a hygrometer.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

Yeah, I don't think Amazon is currently carrying them. Maybe next month or the following year, who knows?

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 400ct NewAir. Ran it for a little over a year with zero problems. I out grew it pretty quickly. It's now used for my pipe tobacco storage un pugged.
    As for replacement shelving.... http://www.wineadors.com/index.html
    I think you're going to find it's going to be hit or miss when it comes to problems with them. It seems to happen more often when they run a lot because of higher temps.
    The problem with thermos electric coolers is there cooling size limitations, hence the reason you don't see any above the 400ct size. There are bigger units, but they're cost prohibitive. The problem with the compressor type you find in the bigger wine coolers and refrigerators, is they produce to much humidity.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that condensors take humidity out, but either way, they're horrible for cigars. Also have read literature stating that it's not a matter of "if" a thermoelectric will go out, but "when" it will.

Bottom line is that it'll be fine. Go with a brand name and enjoy it. Don't sweat making the perfect decision...just make a good one brother!

Don't look ↑
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Banksy said:

@Guitarded said:
    You don’t NEED shelves, after CAS kicks in you will be playing Tetris to get everything packed in anyway.
    If you are buying a bunch of singles or 5ers get some plastic baskets and use a few wire shelves.
    If you aren’t confused enough, check Letgo (an online garage sale) for wine coolers.
    I have a Wine Enthusiast with no shelves and it is only plugged in during the summer.
    Where are you located? If you have a basement forget all of this and get a Large cooler, a dozen 65% bovedas, and don’t bother with a hygrometer.

But I want one 🥺

LOL, You're in trouble!! Don't worry, we understand.

Are you married? That helps put a governor on it.

Sort of.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Been hearing that word in that way a lot lately.

I learned that the Governor is the Warden's boss.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wives say "no" and kids are real expensive pets. Don't change a thing.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

@Far_North_64 said:

@Banksy said:

@Yakster said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Been hearing that word in that way a lot lately.

I learned that the Governor is the Warden's boss.

Nope

Not married

No kids

Rona money a plenty

Well then turn a closet into a walk-in humidor!!

🥺 I never thought about that 🥺

This could get expensive