Home General Discussion

Grillin, Drinkin, and Smokin

I liked the "Golf and a Cigar" post. Hope I don't steal your thunder man.

Because I live in Wisconsin I usually only get a few weeks out the year to go golfing. However, one thing I love to do is grill out drink a few beers and enjoy a good cigar. It doesn't matter what meat is grillin but I prefer a good Connecticut cigar like the Ccom Purple label or maybe a Nub. As far as beer for those of you in WI Spotted Cow, for those who aren't Blue Moon.

Anyone else have a favorite cigar and beer they enjoy while grillin? I have some T-bones to grill on Sat and I’m always open for suggestions.

Comments

• ljlljl Posts: 819
    I used to live in the WI. I suggest anything by Bells if you can find it (two hearted is my favorite - really hoppy). They don't sell this in IL due to some licensing problems or something, you probably know about capital brews too. Very good. Agree that spotted cow rocks. On the cigar side; I don't really go for connies too much. I like corojo, maduro or habano. If i'm grillin' I might think about AB harvest '97 habano.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm right there with ya man. I love to grill, I love to drink beer, and I love to smoke cigars. So, of course I've put them all together. I really don't have a preference of cigar, it's usually what ever sounds good when I rummage through my tupperdor. As far as beer, Shiner Bock goes perfectly. I can't wait to get my new grill next month. I plan on cooking out on it as much as possible.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    wingertg:
    I liked the "Golf and a Cigar" post. Hope I don't steal your thunder man. Because I live in Wisconsin I usually only get a few weeks out the year to go golfing. However, one thing I love to do is grill out drink a few beers and enjoy a good cigar. It doesn't matter what meat is grillin but I prefer a good Connecticut cigar like the Ccom Purple label or maybe a Nub. As far as beer for those of you in WI Spotted Cow, for those who aren't Blue Moon. Anyone else have a favorite cigar and beer they enjoy while grillin? I have some T-bones to grill on Sat and I’m always open for suggestions.
    Not to sound like too much of a snob, but when I'm grilling steaks or fish, I'm more of a wine drinker. I drink beer when I'm grilling burgers n sausages. For wine, I like any kind of cheap Zin from Trader Joes. For beer, I like Fat Tire. I get one of the big bottles. It's perfect size for an afternoon grill session.

You're grilling in Wisc. this weekend??? You're a braver man than I......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    I'm right there with ya man. I love to grill, I love to drink beer, and I love to smoke cigars. So, of course I've put them all together. I really don't have a preference of cigar, it's usually what ever sounds good when I rummage through my tupperdor. As far as beer, Shiner Bock goes perfectly. I can't wait to get my new grill next month. I plan on cooking out on it as much as possible.
    I love Shiner Bock. Unfortunately, we only get one kind in these parts. I'd like to try some of their other recipes some day.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Another WI BOTL! Welcome!
    Where in WI are you? We should really all get a Herf together sometime soon. Im here in Madison, and I know there are a bunch of us around here...
  • wingertg:
    I liked the "Golf and a Cigar" post. Hope I don't steal your thunder man. Because I live in Wisconsin I usually only get a few weeks out the year to go golfing. However, one thing I love to do is grill out drink a few beers and enjoy a good cigar. It doesn't matter what meat is grillin but I prefer a good Connecticut cigar like the Ccom Purple label or maybe a Nub. As far as beer for those of you in WI Spotted Cow, for those who aren't Blue Moon. Anyone else have a favorite cigar and beer they enjoy while grillin? I have some T-bones to grill on Sat and I’m always open for suggestions.
    Not a problem man! But if I get a job in WI that I am looking at I will hunt you down...Just playn...I love grilling some nice cowboy cut ribeyes. With that, I usually dont have time to smoke a cigar. I love a good rare steak. If I am smoking ribs or anyhting like that I like a a stick along the lines of my Gurk Blue Steels. I am all about any beer that is produce by St. Arnolds Brewery in Houston Texas. They make great stuff, or give me anything from Keystone to Sam Adams Imperial Stout!
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    It's been snowing all day here in Jersey.....can't wait to get the grill fired up and have a steak....With that said....I love sitting out with a cigar and a nice micro brew...listening to my ipod with the chimnea going.......As for golf...I love golf...BUT can't smoke a good cigar and play at the same time....
  • I'm up near Appleton. You'll have to stop up and have a smoke at Appleton Souvenir & Cigar sometime. If you haven't been there they have a nice walk in humi and a really nice area to smoke (the only indoor smoking building in Appleton). Plus all the great beers you can think of.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    PBR with Clamato and Tabasco and any kind of meat on the grill with any kind of stick is a great thing. I ain't picky
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Just look at my Avatar. We grill about 5 nights per week. Steaks, Chicken, Fish, Pork, veggies, everything. But I love SMokin' (BBQ). I'll normally get the smoker set up at about 10:00 AM put on about 20-25#'s of Pork Spare Ribs and let them go for about 6-7 hrs low & SLow (Usually over Hickory, sometimes Apple Wood or Mesquite). This leaves plenty of time for Beers and Cigars. I like everything from a crisp light Mexcian beer to something Med. bodied like Newcastle Brown Ale. As for a suggestion, throw a Chunk of Mesquite under your Steaks grab a Newcastle Brown Ale (or three) and you'll be good.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    wingertg:
    I am the Hog Man! Love the BBQ cook it all from steaks to Turkeys to Buffalos. You have got to love a man that is a Butcher and a Hog Cooker! Stogies and Grillin, I quit drinking years ago(hence the raise in cost due to the loss of my revenue) But i can cook you in the ground on the BBQ! checking the hog at the Pig Out Hog Cookers at Tart Holllow
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    holy crap Ozzie, that's a serious cooking utensil you got there
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn! That counts as a BBQ!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    wingertg:
    Not to sound like too much of a snob, but when I'm grilling steaks or fish, I'm more of a wine drinker. I drink beer when I'm grilling burgers n sausages. For wine, I like any kind of cheap Zin from Trader Joes. For beer, I like Fat Tire. I get one of the big bottles. It's perfect size for an afternoon grill session.

You're grilling in Wisc. this weekend??? You're a braver man than I......
    Such a pretentious ass!!!! lol, I tend to agree though... makes 2 of us then.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I do love having a smoke while grilling as well, but I'll only have beer occasionally. Most of the time if I'm grilling steaks or anything like that I go with a glass of bourbon. As far as the smoke, I tend to go with something mild-med bodied while I'm cooking. The Cabaiguan is an excellent cigar for grilling! Usually after the feast I will have a more full bodied cigar. Works well for me that way.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    KCW:
    Just look at my Avatar. We grill about 5 nights per week. Steaks, Chicken, Fish, Pork, veggies, everything. But I love SMokin' (BBQ). I'll normally get the smoker set up at about 10:00 AM put on about 20-25#'s of Pork Spare Ribs and let them go for about 6-7 hrs low & SLow (Usually over Hickory, sometimes Apple Wood or Mesquite). This leaves plenty of time for Beers and Cigars. I like everything from a crisp light Mexcian beer to something Med. bodied like Newcastle Brown Ale. As for a suggestion, throw a Chunk of Mesquite under your Steaks grab a Newcastle Brown Ale (or three) and you'll be good.
    Im with KCW on this one. I grill 2-3 times a week. Newcastle is one of my favorite beers with cigars and BBQ. I do try to pair some of my sticks with the beer and grilling meat of choice. Fish/Negro Modello/Fat tire/connecticut shade or Steak/Newcastle or Guiness/and a full bodied cigar LFD, Opus, Tats. Kinda borrowing from the wine guys generalization of white meat white wine, red meat read wine, but with cigars and beer. Works for me.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    We used to do this all the time in Hawaii. I'd almost always go with something full, like a 5 Vegas CSII or a Decade. Every once in a while though, a Natural Irish Hops made it in the rotation, lol.
  • Three of my four favorite subjects, I like where this thread is going. Throw on some college football, and you've got a Saturday from heaven. I love Woodford Reserve bourbon, almost any cigar, and bbq-ing some ribs or pork shoulder, slow and low. I tend to grill burgers or steaks a couple times a week as well, but the weekend is all about the BBQ. I've been wanting to try my hand at making brisket, but dang, thats a time investment.
  • Funny, I grilled tonight, and had an AB harvest '97. edit- I meant to quote the guy that named that as one of his favorite 'grillin sticks'.
  • leemarshall337:
    Three of my four favorite subjects, I like where this thread is going. Throw on some college football, and you've got a Saturday from heaven. I love Woodford Reserve bourbon, almost any cigar, and bbq-ing some ribs or pork shoulder, slow and low. I tend to grill burgers or steaks a couple times a week as well, but the weekend is all about the BBQ. I've been wanting to try my hand at making brisket, but dang, thats a time investment.
    It isnt too bad. Just get up at 6 in the morning to start rather than the 8 or 9 in the morning for the pork shoulder. Its all about the cut of meat and your temp control.
  • Total Hop head here so my beer is generaly IPA's or really hop heavy ales here is a small sample of some of my favs, Dogfish head 90 min IPA, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Weyerbakers Hops infusion, Victory Hop devil, Port Brewing hop 15, Sierra Nevada Torpedo EIPA, Magic Hat HiPA -- discontinued :(, Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant *** Ale, As for grilling its all good but I love me some ribeye steaks and jumbo chicken wings. and I smoke mostly CT mild-medium, current favorites are Nub CT and Perdomo 10th Champagne
  • dubiousmonk:
    Total Hop head here so my beer is generaly IPA's or really hop heavy ales here is a small sample of some of my favs, Dogfish head 90 min IPA, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Weyerbakers Hops infusion, Victory Hop devil, Port Brewing hop 15, Sierra Nevada Torpedo EIPA, Magic Hat HiPA -- discontinued :(, Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant *** Ale, As for grilling its all good but I love me some ribeye steaks and jumbo chicken wings. and I smoke mostly CT mild-medium, current favorites are Nub CT and Perdomo 10th Champagne
    Those are good.. Also good is Victorys hop wallop and all great divided beers like titan and hercules..
  • Like the hop wallup but thought it as a bit mild for my tastes, still tasty though. and yeah the great divide beers are great.
  • Wingnut640:
    dubiousmonk:
    Total Hop head here so my beer is generaly IPA's or really hop heavy ales here is a small sample of some of my favs, Dogfish head 90 min IPA, Troegs Nugget Nectar, Weyerbakers Hops infusion, Victory Hop devil, Port Brewing hop 15, Sierra Nevada Torpedo EIPA, Magic Hat HiPA -- discontinued :(, Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant *** Ale, As for grilling its all good but I love me some ribeye steaks and jumbo chicken wings. and I smoke mostly CT mild-medium, current favorites are Nub CT and Perdomo 10th Champagne
    Those are good.. Also good is Victorys hop wallop and all great divided beers like titan and hercules..
    Wow you read my mind. I love IPA’s especially Dogfish Head 90 min. I might do something like that this weekend. Maybe Goose Island IPA and a Rocky Fusion Double Maduro. And for my after dinner some Irish whisky or a nice Port wine (I have to agree with some of you, wine does go good with cigars) and the new Cain which I recently purchased.
  • mmmm a nice port does sounds awesome right about now.