Home General Discussion

Question for The Alex

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Alex, If the PA's Governor Ed Randell gets his 30% tax on cigars (via his new budget) passed, will that raise Ccom's prices?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Whoa. I better stock up, just in case........... Any idea when this might go into effect if it passes?
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hey Ccom, why not move on down to sunny Florida? No income tax, high humidity, and a "cold" winter is on where the temp at night drops to 30F, with daytime temps in the 60's
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    Krieg:
    Alex, If the PA's Governor Ed Randell gets his 30% tax on cigars (via his new budget) passed, will that raise Ccom's prices?
    that... is insane.
  • NYHCx516x:
    Krieg:
    that... is insane.
    The budget proposal in Boston is to raise it from 30% to over 100%! So a vendor would pay more in taxes than they'd pay for the inventory!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    NYHCx516x:
    Krieg:
    that... is insane.
    The budget proposal in Boston is to raise it from 30% to over 100%! So a vendor would pay more in taxes than they'd pay for the inventory!
    You know, with this current class of Democrats in Washington, nothing surprises me anymore.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    NYHCx516x:
    Krieg:
    that... is insane.
    Welcome to my world!!!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    "with the current class of democrats in Washington"....what does that mean?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    "with the current class of democrats in Washington"....what does that mean?
    It means that for some people in a certain party, the answer to solving problems is providing more money. The money comes from somewhere, they just don't print more ya know.
    Let's keep this on topic. If we want to discuss bi-partisan retardation, let's do it in the Off Topic Forum
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Well if it was up to me, we would fire all the politicians. We are going to be fighting this tax along with many other mail order companies and manufacturers. We defeated the initiative last year and we are working on doing it again. No one realizes that this tax will end up effecting all of PA. Heres why, cigars are not like cigarettes and the well is not deep to get tax rev from it. In total sales, the US cigar industry is only 1 Billion dollars a year retail. Some companies post 5 times that much money in a year alone. Many people could buy the entire industry with one check. So when they pass the tax, allocate the money and then dont get what they expect, they will make up the shortfall in taxes that will hit everyone like increased state sales or income tax. If it passes, moving the business to FL is absolutely a viable option and one that many mail order companies operating in PA would most likely make costing the state hundreds of jobs and all that precious tax money they are counting on.

That said, if the tax is passed and we were to stay, no we would not increase our prices. Because we ship the products out of state, they are not subject to taxation to the state of PA. For customers residing in PA, I am not sure. We would certainly try to absorb most of it if not all of it but we would have to look at the impact if it comes to that.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking to move back to Florida too. Let me know when you go and I'll just throw my stuff on your truck!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    Well if it was up to me, we would fire all the politicians. We are going to be fighting this tax along with many other mail order companies and manufacturers. We defeated the initiative last year and we are working on doing it again. No one realizes that this tax will end up effecting all of PA. Heres why, cigars are not like cigarettes and the well is not deep to get tax rev from it. In total sales, the US cigar industry is only 1 Billion dollars a year retail. Some companies post 5 times that much money in a year alone. Many people could buy the entire industry with one check. So when they pass the tax, allocate the money and then dont get what they expect, they will make up the shortfall in taxes that will hit everyone like increased state sales or income tax. If it passes, moving the business to FL is absolutely a viable option and one that many mail order companies operating in PA would most likely make costing the state hundreds of jobs and all that precious tax money they are counting on.

That said, if the tax is passed and we were to stay, no we would not increase our prices. Because we ship the products out of state, they are not subject to taxation to the state of PA. For customers residing in PA, I am not sure. We would certainly try to absorb most of it if not all of it but we would have to look at the impact if it comes to that.
    Great, thanks for the response. I really hope it gets defeated.

"Long ashes my friends."

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think with the 10 million dollar wharehouse and shipping facility the parent company just opened in PA, the Governor would not want to lose such a company to another state.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hey, PA's loss is FL's gain - I look forward to being able to pick up my smokes from the warehouse and meeting The Beard :D
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I'm with you on that. Maybe UPS could get them to me faster too. LOL
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    YankeeMan:
    You would think with the 10 million dollar wharehouse and shipping facility the parent company just opened in PA, the Governor would not want to lose such a company to another state.
    It's all the rage these days for governors to try and run businesses out of their states. Just ask Michigan! What an ignorant bunch of idiots we have running things.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    I'm with you on that. Maybe UPS could get them to me faster too. LOL
    No. UPS will still take a week to get to you.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Well, isn't that a geographical oddity. One week from everywhere!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Alex Svenson:

Alex thanks for that very good explanation . All these money grubbing,politicians are going to shoot themselves in the foot (wish it was the head) Like in Our State California... the governator Arnold Smokes Cigars , Has a tent outside the Capitol building just for his Cigar smoking and he has a rediculous Tax and is sneaking around trying to slide other things in the back door Hell they are close to Legalizing POT here ! Tower Cigars Banned Him from there shop for his Tax crap! http://cbs2chicago.com/watercooler/schwarzenegger.shop.ban.2.651400.html
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    on a side note i get about a 2 day turn around on orders all the way out to cali - i hope that tax isn't passed - i feel that it is hard enough with the current taxes