Home General Discussion

Purging?

Do any of you guys "purge" your cigars every few inches? I have been trying this technique and it *seems* to help but I don't know if it really is or if my mind is playing tricks on me...

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'll do it if the cigar seems to be getting bitter. Otherwise I take the stance of "if it aint broke..."
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i purge probably more than i should.

as discussed in another thread, many people use the 1,2,3 method of smoking. by that, i mean: one short puff, a second short puff, a third deep draw.
    I find myself doing the -1,2,3 method. by that i mean a quick purge then a quick puff then a deep draw. im not sure where this came from but i seem to get flavors i enjoy.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I normally only ever purge after I relight the cigar. Well, I should say when I touch it up. I almost never actually have to fully relight a cigar but if I have to touch it up I will blow back through it. It isn't very noticeable but it does help slightly. If I don't completely knock off the ash before I touch up I can notice the change in flavor. That is what I try to get rid of and it seems to work.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I usually use butane lighters (too windy for matches), so after getting it lit, I always take two or three draws to make sure its lit, then purge; after that, I just smoke it normally
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I guess I do what Kuzi does. I purge slightly, take one small puff then one big draw. (NBot sure why, just the way I do it)
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    same here with Kuzi's technique.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I only purge if it's been sitting in my truck a while and I've been away from it, I'll purge then puf, puff, puff, purge, and smoke it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Purging isn't really healthy you know. I figure why eat that much in the first place. I for one blow out on my cigars every so often. Seems to work for me.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever "purged." Guess that's another thing I'll have to try.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Have you ever had a cigar that was difficult to keep lit? Purging will heat the cigar up and help it on it's merry way! Happy purging. (specially some of the maduro wrappers on a windy day)

Wait . . . what? I've always heard purging is bad for keeping the cigar lit, which is why you should only do it sparingly
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Wait . . . what? I've always heard purging is bad for keeping the cigar lit, which is why you should only do it sparingly
    Well yeah, you don't want to purge often because that would be the same as puffing often, it would cause a hot burn. So you're right, purging should be done sparingly if at all. Of all the cigars I smoke, I probably only purge 5-10% of them, and that might occur once or twice during the course of the cigar. There ought to be a reason for purging the cigar, not just purging for the sake of purging.

I used the word "purging" so many times in that post that it has now lost all meaning to me. Cool.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Its facinating to purge with the lighter and the end of the stick, makes the flame all kinds of cool colors, best thing I could blame on that would be chemicals?? Dunno.. I purge twice per toro for 10-15 seocnds, or until the colored flames stop. Even if it doesn't taste bitter, it seems to refresh the flavors...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I purge when I feel the need, but I ALWAYS purge after I ash or the ash falls off. Every time I forget to purge after ashing i regret it and get a somewhat ashy taste in my mouth.
    Im leaving that one hanging there for Urby, Lassy - have at it!

The purge by feel is more of the -1,2,3,4 where it is a quick purge quick puff puff long draw. Almost all purge after ash is a good long puff out or purge.

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I resent the company you keep putting me in. lol
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    i have heard that as well.

... though i still purge often

i think the theory is that your breath has moisture in it and adding that to the cigar would be bad for it.

I always figured it was a combination of you exhaling CO2, which puts out the fire, combined with your breath pushing out the lit tobacco, instead of pulling it towards the unlit tobacco like when you draw