Home General Discussion

Overpriced super premium - what ones are worth it?

Im asking because Im going to a B&M tonight that will have a bunch. They are all way overpriced due to Mass law about allowing smoking inside, but that antoher thread. I ask because I want to enjoy what Im smoking and I have already come to accept I will be overpaying. So what ones are worth every $?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Worth every dollar? Probably none of them. Cigars kinda follow the law of diminishing returns - once you get to a certain price, you start getting less value for every additional dollar you spend on them. Now don't get me wrong, super-premiums are priced that high for a reason, but overall I don't think any of them would be "worth every dollar" in the sense that a $30 cigar is twice as good as a $15 cigar, or 3x better than a $10 cigar, or 10x better than a $3 cigar. That's my opinion anyway, your mileage may differ

That said, I'd go for an Cohiba, an Opus X, or a God of Fire . . . or just do what I do in my B&M that's overpriced and only carries 10 kinds of crappy cigars - bring your own :)

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If you can't find any of those, may I recommend a Padron 1964 or if u want something more full bodied- 1932. They SHOULD run around $15-$24....

"Long ashes my friends."

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    X-man has the right advice. It's so subjective, price doesn't always equal value.
    Personally I'd got for a Camacho Liberty, or anything LFD.

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    The Anejo is worth 20 bucks to me, even though the msrp is 12-14 bucks
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:

Im asking because Im going to a B&M tonight that will have a bunch. They are all way overpriced due to Mass law about allowing smoking inside, but that antoher thread. I ask because I want to enjoy what Im smoking and I have already come to accept I will be overpaying. So what ones are worth every $?
    I'm assuming your in Ma. May inquire what B&M? (I'm in Ma. myself and am curious). Also when purchasing in Ma. you are aware that there is a 30% "Tobacco" tax on top of the 6.25% Sales Tax aren't you?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    KCW:
    Fourtotheflush:

I'm assuming your in Ma. May inquire what B&M? (I'm in Ma. myself and am curious). Also when purchasing in Ma. you are aware that there is a 30% "Tobacco" tax on top of the 6.25% Sales Tax aren't you?

Im hitting Cigar Maters.
    They are a cigar bar and 61% of their revenue needs to come from Tobacco in order to smoke inside.

To address the others, you can bring your own, but they charge a $10 cutting fee. Ill just buy a $20 cigar rather than bring a $5-$10 cigar and pay the additional $10 for cutting. Plus I dont really mind paying a little extra in order to keep them open. I only go 1-2 times per year, but it is a nice change of pace. They have a walk in humi that usually has a really nice selection. They used to have some reasonable priced sticks, but the last time I went it was mostly super premiums. Ill let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.
    Fourtotheflush:
    KCW:
    Fourtotheflush:

Im hitting Cigar Maters.
    They are a cigar bar and 61% of their revenue needs to come from Tobacco in order to smoke inside.

To address the others, you can bring your own, but they charge a $10 cutting fee. Ill just buy a $20 cigar rather than bring a $5-$10 cigar and pay the additional $10 for cutting. Plus I dont really mind paying a little extra in order to keep them open. I only go 1-2 times per year, but it is a nice change of pace. They have a walk in humi that usually has a really nice selection. They used to have some reasonable priced sticks, but the last time I went it was mostly super premiums. Ill let you know how it goes.

OK. Great!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'm one of the few that really don't think Opus X are worth it. The only cigars over $15 I have bought and really thought were worth every penny were the Ashton VSG, Camacho Pre-Embargo, and Don Carlos Anniversary.
  • By definition, nothing that is 'overpriced' is worth it.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I'll go second on either the 1928 padron or the 1964's. I also like the Davidoff Milleniums and the Cohiba Red Dot's . I don't really like the opus X for the money or the God of Fire, and I really like the AVO's. My advice is just go with whatever catches your eye. Premiums are similar to non premiums in that rarely is one cigar for everyone. So just go with the cigar that makes your mouth water and see what happens.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    I'm one of the few that really don't think Opus X are worth it. The only cigars over $15 I have bought and really thought were worth every penny were the Ashton VSG, Camacho Pre-Embargo, and Don Carlos Anniversary.
    I'll 2nd that also

"Long ashes my friends."

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I like the Camacho triple maduro, Padilla 1932, and GOF.
    Hey Four... How was Cigar Masters? How was their selection, atmoshpere, etc.? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
  • FalciferFalcifer Posts: 26
    KCW:
    Hey Four... How was Cigar Masters? How was their selection, atmoshpere, etc.? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    I go there at least once a week. The atmosphere varies on the day, time and crowd (just like most bars anywhere). I usually go early Friday evening (between the after work crown, but before the late night bar spill off or Saturday early afternoon. Also watch out if there is a home Celtics game, cause some of the players show up for a post game smoke and usually take up the back/private area. They are going through some major construction in the front part of the place so its a bit unsettling walking through a small construction area to get to the bar, but it hasn't stopped me. As for the selection it has grown leaps and bounds this past year... its pretty amazing actually. They have a huge selection of Don Pepin, Olivia (including the elusive V), Rockey Patel, CAO, Drew Estates... They do have to charge a cutting fee to keep the tobacco revenue up, but i find that once you become a regular and once in a while buy from them they usually not charge the fee. Also it never hurts to sit on a leather couch smoking a cigar watching the Bruins loose while a hot eastern European waitress keeps filling your glass with Guinness...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    late to the party but ...Anejo # 77 Shark
    Falcifer:
    KCW:
    They do have to charge a cutting fee to keep the tobacco revenue up, but i find that once you become a regular and once in a while buy from them they usually not charge the fee. Also it never hurts to sit on a leather couch smoking a cigar watching the Bruins loose while a hot eastern European waitress keeps filling your glass with Guinness...

Yeah. I could get into that (Eastern European waitress thing).
    I do have a question though. Even after you buy a stick from them they charge you an additional $10.00 cutting fee on top of that? Even if you're buying drinks? Thanks for the info Falcifier. Maybe I'll see you there someday.
  • FalciferFalcifer Posts: 26
    KCW:
    Falcifer:
    KCW:
    They do have to charge a cutting fee to keep the tobacco revenue up, but i find that once you become a regular and once in a while buy from them they usually not charge the fee. Also it never hurts to sit on a leather couch smoking a cigar watching the Bruins loose while a hot eastern European waitress keeps filling your glass with Guinness...

I do have a question though. Even after you buy a stick from them they charge you an additional $10.00 cutting fee on top of that? Even if you're buying drinks? Thanks for the info Falcifier. Maybe I'll see you there someday.
    No its either the fee (paid once) or buy a stick from them. From my experience (and this includes when i wasn't a regular) is that... say you walk in there with the intention of smoking 3 cigars. You buy one, for say 7 bucks, you smoke it and then take out yours and they will not charge a fee because you bought one already... i have even bought one put it in my case to bring home to rest and just smoke my own all night... drinking their beer doesn't count because of the whole 60% thing.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    If you can grab an OpusX at retail, they are worth every penny to me. $15-20 is reasonable for them. The Anejo is right behind it. The Camacho Pre-Embargo is a little steep at retail prices, but when they do come around at a great price, buy as many as you can. There are many other premium-priced sticks that can be worth it, but it all comes down to what you love and what you can afford.
    Falcifer:
    KCW:
    Falcifer:
    KCW:

No its either the fee (paid once) or buy a stick from them. From my experience (and this includes when i wasn't a regular) is that... say you walk in there with the intention of smoking 3 cigars. You buy one, for say 7 bucks, you smoke it and then take out yours and they will not charge a fee because you bought one already... i have even bought one put it in my case to bring home to rest and just smoke my own all night... drinking their beer doesn't count because of the whole 60% thing.

Got it! That makes sense. Thanks again.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Posts: 213
    I really enjoy Gurkha Titan II's. Pricey, and a little difficult to find sometimes, but a VERY good stick IMHO.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Great question. I think the best super premiums in no particular order are:

Davidoff Millenium
    Fuente Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario
    Graycliff Double Espresso

For worst I would have to say

Padron 40th, 44, 45 and all those other $30 sticks they make
    Not a big opus Fan. Wrappers always seem to have burn problems
    Montecristo A ISOM, too many plugged cigars
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Alex Svenson:

Davidoff Millenium

Thanks for the info Alex, with my birthday coming up this month I'll just copy your list to am email for my wife! haha That should pretty much cover some good gift ideas!
    KCW:

Thanks for the info guys. I didnt make it. The folks I went out with bailed out and said that they wanted to go to another bar.

Alex Svenson:

Davidoff Millenium

Very interesting, thanks for the input!

I will say that although I missed this trip, I will probably be going back there in April at some point so all this info isnt going to waste.