Home General Discussion

Cigars in movies: Bad guys vs Good Guys

EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of movies out there that depict villains and heroes enjoying our favorite pastime. It seems that media has shifted to more bad guys .. in the 90s ( a la Independence Day, and pretty much any movie with Schwarzenegger) it was more positive .... but I can’t remember a recent movie ( last 10 years ) that has any good guys with a stogie.
I just watched Boss Level on Hulu and Mel Gibson ( bad guy) smokes a cigar in a way that says “Fvck you” .

Any good examples of good guys vs bad guys?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Constantine : papa midnight

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

was always rumored that he smoked Parodi cigars which are made in my hometown. Nasty little things, but people smoke them all over

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Parodis are the perfect cigar to chew on, I used to smoke them while surf casting for bluefish.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:

was always rumored that he smoked Parodi cigars which are made in my hometown. Nasty little things, but people smoke them all over

Confirmed that he smoked toscano cigars. Made in Italy. 99% of all cigars bought in Italy are toscano. They're also nasty little things. Ironically, they're entirely comprised of Kentucky fire cured tobacco imported from the states.

Don't look ↑

Don't look ↑

Bad guy

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is a prop. A drink in the hand, sunglasses/eyeglasses, facial hair, hats, and cigars. We are too attached to cigars for us not to notice the negativity. But to hollywood, it's just another prop. But the underlying theme that allows for cigars to be used often as a prop for negative characters, banksters, gangsters, or basic selfish jerks, means these biases against cigars already exist.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@rsherman24 said:

Confirmed that he smoked toscano cigars. Made in Italy. 99% of all cigars bought in Italy are toscano. They're also nasty little things. Ironically, they're entirely comprised of Kentucky fire cured tobacco imported from the states.

I believe that's where all Eastwood's old westerns were filmed. Makes sense a local product was used.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been watching the Cobra Kai series with my girlfriend, noticed that the only smoker I've seen has been the bad guy, whose smoking style is reminiscent of SGT. FURY comic books.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

That actor from Cobra Kai ( Marty Cove) was interviewed in an article about cigars, he is actually an interesting guy!

https://www.cigarsnobmag.com/personalities/2019/08/26/martin-kove/

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

The Don Johnson character in the TV show, Kenon had a cigar in the only episode I watched. On Blacklist, Reddington has mention having a Scotch and a Tatuaje.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good bit in the Oceans movies good and bad guys

• FIRERATFIRERAT Posts: 189 ✭✭✭✭

F**k You I'm drunk.....
    "I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just how I am,"-Homer Simpson

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    The Don Johnson character in the TV show, Kenon had a cigar in the only episode I watched. On Blacklist, Reddington has mention having a Scotch and a Tatuaje.

The character smokes in many episodes.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always loved Boston Legal, especially the end when James Spader and William Shatner would sit and have a cigar and scotch.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple Bonds....

Bad guy...Tony Montana

• raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

I realize it was a TV series but I'll always remember Hanibbal lighting one up at the end of each cluster fuc# saying, "I love it when a plan comes together..." Chalk another one up for the good guys!

Things are about to get interesting...

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:
    Everything is a prop. A drink in the hand, sunglasses/eyeglasses, facial hair, hats, and cigars. We are too attached to cigars for us not to notice the negativity. But to hollywood, it's just another prop. But the underlying theme that allows for cigars to be used often as a prop for negative characters, banksters, gangsters, or basic selfish jerks, means these biases against cigars already exist.

True.
    But also remember that some of these guys that play these parts already smoke cigars, so it would make sense that they would want it to be part of their persona.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MickeyD_1MickeyD_1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Who could forget Tony Soprano!

Smoking a fohiba!

Don't look ↑
  • CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭