Home Non Cigar Related

Question for Cigar Smokin Daddys!!!

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
Hey Guys,

Well, I've come to you guys with all my other problems throughout the last year and I come to you once again. This is for you daddy's out there. I have a 3 month old daughter who won't stop whining. All day she whines! She's very well taken care of, always fed, always in a clean diaper, always loved and played with. But if she's awake and set down for even a second, she's usually whining!

So guys, any quick Daddy or Mommy remedies for this or is this pretty much par for the course!

Comments

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    That's funny. As I was typing this she actually went to sleep on the couch! Perhaps the only way I can actually communicate with her is by typing things into the cigar.com message board!!! ;-)
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I don't want you to take this as me being mena or asking you to be but...

If your little girl always whines when not in your arms then the answer MAY be to leave her on her own a little more often.

If she is always picked up and cuddled or whatever whenever she whines... then she will likely whine a LOT ! She is learning that she gets what she is looking for when she whines, so it will likely continue.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not talking about ignoring her, I am saying that when she whines, if you are sure it is not for a serious reason then let her sit a few minutes before going and picking her up, or fussing with her.

Oh and I have two grown kids, and never killed either of them, not even once ! LOL.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    laker1963:
    Oh and I have two grown kids, and never killed either of them, not even once ! LOL.
    ROFL.

I won't try and offer advice, as my first is coming soon, but what laker said sounds reasonable. There are a ton of forums out there for parents as well - you might be able to find a "dad" forum with many more dads like yourself.
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    My kids are 4 and 2 so I'm not too far ahead of you.

I second laker's post and say you might be holding her a little too much. Sometimes you just have to let them cry it out. I know it's hard because it's instinctive to pick them up, but they learn quick, even at 3 months. And given the age, they're either crying or sleeping. And trust me I know there are times you'll do anything to stop the crying and just get a little sleep, but it gets better.

My wife and I kind of had a system for when they started crying: check the diaper, check to see if it was feeding time, give them something entertaining to play with, and go from there. If you don't have a baby swing, get one. They are a freaking life saver. We'd put the kids in there and they loved it. We had the one below. It would flash lights, play music and make bird noises.

Your other option is to get a play mat that she can lay on her back and play with toys hanging above. We had something similar to this:

Option 3 is putting her in the car and taking her for a long drive. I've done that a few times when my son was young.

Good luck! Us smoking daddys need it.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    She needs stimulation other than holding by mommy or daddy. At three months she should be ready for some tummy time. turn_key made some nice suggestions too. My first kid was as easy going as can be. She liked being in the exersaucer and the swing. My son, not so much, he hated almost everything except the play pen. He wanted to move around more.

Try every toy at your disposal. Eventually she'll find something that feeds her stimulation needs.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    At 3 months old I'd probably just hold her. I don't know that kids are really capable of manipulation at that age. I mean the reality is she is manipulating you, but I don't know that she's capable of putting it together that crying = a way to get what she wants. Maybe, I dunno. My humble, non-expert opinion would be either hold her, or wean her from it, but do that very gradual. Cold turkey rarely works.

I like lilwing88s suggestion too. Stimulation without being held sounds like a good idea.
    turn_key:
    My kids are 4 and 2 so I'm not too far ahead of you.

I second laker's post and say you might be holding her a little too much. Sometimes you just have to let them cry it out. I know it's hard because it's instinctive to pick them up, but they learn quick, even at 3 months. And given the age, they're either crying or sleeping. And trust me I know there are times you'll do anything to stop the crying and just get a little sleep, but it gets better.

My wife and I kind of had a system for when they started crying: check the diaper, check to see if it was feeding time, give them something entertaining to play with, and go from there. If you don't have a baby swing, get one. They are a freaking life saver. We'd put the kids in there and they loved it. We had the one below. It would flash lights, play music and make bird noises.

We pretty much have the same swing. She used to love this thing and she occasionally still enjoys it, but not nearly as much. She still sit in it and do the whole whining thing.

turn_key:
    Your other option is to get a play mat that she can lay on her back and play with toys hanging above. We had something similar to this:

We have one of these also. We use it for tummy time and occassionally she is very slightly amused by this, but she really hasn't started grabbing anything yet. About all she does with her hands at this point is stick them in her mouth.... alot! We've accepted this as an upgrade alternative to her passifier.
    turn_key:
    Option 3 is putting her in the car and taking her for a long drive. I've done that a few times when my son was young.

This works really well, though it's not always very practical. Plus she'll wake up and start crying every time the car stops at a red light. As soon as we start moving, she'll go back to sleep.

laker1963:
    Please don't get me wrong, I am not talking about ignoring her, I am saying that when she whines, if you are sure it is not for a serious reason then let her sit a few minutes before going and picking her up, or fussing with her.

We've tried this also just after changing her diaper and feeding her. We'll set her down and she'll start whining. Keep in mind I'm not talking about "crying" here. It's like a dog wimpering. We've actually let her go as long as an hour and she'll just keep on at it.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I guess we'll just have to start trying different types of non-holding stimulation.
  • turn_keyturn_key Posts: 90
    clearlysuspect:
    Keep in mind I'm not talking about "crying" here. It's like a dog wimpering. We've actually let her go as long as an hour and she'll just keep on at it.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I guess we'll just have to start trying different types of non-holding stimulation.
    Gotcha. It's tedious but I'm sure there is something you will come across. One more thing we had that worked was a rocking chair that vibrated. Somthing like this:

I'd put my son or daughter next to me and just rock them with my foot.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    clearlysuspect:
    Hey Guys,

Well, I've come to you guys with all my other problems throughout the last year and I come to you once again. This is for you daddy's out there. I have a 3 month old daughter who won't stop whining. All day she whines! She's very well taken care of, always fed, always in a clean diaper, always loved and played with. But if she's awake and set down for even a second, she's usually whining!

So guys, any quick Daddy or Mommy remedies for this or is this pretty much par for the course!
    My daughter used to cry starting at about 8pm EVERY single night for hours and hours on end for no apparent reason, the ONLY thing that would stop her from crying was carrying her in my arm like a football and it had to be me not mom, I literally did this for the first 2 months every night.....even if I would carry her and she fell asleep in my arm no matter what if I sat down with her to rest ever so gently she would realize and wake and cry.....the turning point came, we had a family vacation planned to a campout on a lake staying in cabins....the first night there she went to bed and didn't wake except for expected feedings, was like a switch, I don't know if it was the fresh air or just coincedence but it came just in time I don't know how much more I could have taken.....
    Diamondog:
    clearlysuspect:
    Hey Guys,

My daughter used to cry starting at about 8pm EVERY single night for hours and hours on end for no apparent reason, the ONLY thing that would stop her from crying was carrying her in my arm like a football and it had to be me not mom, I literally did this for the first 2 months every night.....even if I would carry her and she fell asleep in my arm no matter what if I sat down with her to rest ever so gently she would realize and wake and cry.....the turning point came, we had a family vacation planned to a campout on a lake staying in cabins....the first night there she went to bed and didn't wake except for expected feedings, was like a switch, I don't know if it was the fresh air or just coincedence but it came just in time I don't know how much more I could have taken.....
    See, this has been the one really golden lifesaver! She has slept through the night since she was 2 weeks old. We'll usually have to wake up to feed her maybe twice a night for about 10-15 minutes, but other than that, we've had some unusual long nights of sleep for new parents.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Gas drops. They are over the counter and they cannot OD at all. You can give them to the baby upto 12 times a day. Usually babies cry because of gas. Also, the football hold works well. The more the baby is on their tummy, the easier it is to pass gas. If she just wants to be held, you're SOL. The only thing you can do is to put her in her crib and turn the monitor off until she gets used to it.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    undulac:
    Gas drops. They are over the counter and they cannot OD at all. You can give them to the baby upto 12 times a day. Usually babies cry because of gas. Also, the football hold works well. The more the baby is on their tummy, the easier it is to pass gas. If she just wants to be held, you're SOL. The only thing you can do is to put her in her crib and turn the monitor off until she gets used to it.
    Oh yea! I forgot about that. Good one, undulac. We used Mylicon. Worked about 75% of the time.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    lilwing88:
    undulac:
    Oh yea! I forgot about that. Good one, undulac. We used Mylicon. Worked about 75% of the time.
    Stuff we used was called "gripe water", and it smelled and tasted a little like Dill weed. It is HILARIOUS watching their little faces get all screwed up when they taste it.
    Stuff works wonders for baby's with colic, which seems to be most of 'em.

Good call Undulac
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Meet the fockers have some good parenting tips for baby's crying... lol.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Interesting. Meet the fockers have some good parenting tips for baby's crying... lol.
    Man you are the meanest most sarcastic squirrel I have even met. LMAO
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Oh Marty, reading this makes me SO happy all this is 26 years in the past, but, she may need to get checked out by the Doc. Just to rule out anything obvious. I'll be a Grandpa in June so I better get honed up on my advice stuff.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Stay away from Ferber - brought my kids to him, in Waltham, hes a Jerk!....Anyway I agree with most of what was said here. Most importantly whatever you do, do not let here sleep on you. It will never stop.