Home Ratings & Reviews

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet. Cuban Cigars are illegal again to bring into the US

miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigar Aficionado has not updated its FAQ on travel to Cuba since November 2017. A lot has changed in the last three years, and none of it good for U.S. citizens wanting to visit Cuba. The most recent Trump Administration rules, announced October 13, rolled back a key element of legal travel to Cuba that affects Cigar Aficionado’s U.S. readers as much as any other—no more purchases of Cuban cigars and rum to bring home, from wherever you in the world. Here are the most up-to-date answers based on the U.S. Treasury Department’s page explaining Cuba Sanctions.

I’m an American citizen. Can I still buy Cuban cigars and rum?

Yes. Americans can still buy Cuban cigars and rum for personal consumption when traveling in Cuba or any country where Cuban cigars are sold. They are no longer allowed, however, to bring those purchases back to the United States. They are also prohibited from importing them by any method into the United States.

Can I still bring Cuban cigars and rum back to the U.S.?

No. A traveler can purchase Cuban cigars and rum while outside the United States, but no Cuban alcohol or tobacco product may be brought back to, or imported into, the United States. Other Cuban products may be included in accompanied baggage but only as items for personal use such as gifts. Those products may not be sold.

So i have to wonder how close customs will be inspecting especially with the Holidays coming up.

Buyer beware.

Free Cuba
"I ain't got no Opus's"
LLA
- Lancero Lovers of America
2016 Gang War (South)
May I assss u a ?

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the ban is only on alcohol and tobacco? It's only targeting some things and not others. If you're going to ban Cuban products, ban them all.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miller65rod said:
    Cigar Aficionado has not updated its FAQ on travel to Cuba since November 2017. A lot has changed in the last three years, and none of it good for U.S. citizens wanting to visit Cuba. The most recent Trump Administration rules, announced October 13, rolled back a key element of legal travel to Cuba that affects Cigar Aficionado’s U.S. readers as much as any other—no more purchases of Cuban cigars and rum to bring home, from wherever you in the world. Here are the most up-to-date answers based on the U.S. Treasury Department’s page explaining Cuba Sanctions.

I’m an American citizen. Can I still buy Cuban cigars and rum?

Yes. Americans can still buy Cuban cigars and rum for personal consumption when traveling in Cuba or any country where Cuban cigars are sold. They are no longer allowed, however, to bring those purchases back to the United States. They are also prohibited from importing them by any method into the United States.

Can I still bring Cuban cigars and rum back to the U.S.?

No. A traveler can purchase Cuban cigars and rum while outside the United States, but no Cuban alcohol or tobacco product may be brought back to, or imported into, the United States. Other Cuban products may be included in accompanied baggage but only as items for personal use such as gifts. Those products may not be sold.

So i have to wonder how close customs will be inspecting especially with the Holidays coming up.

Buyer beware.

Bringing them into the country is one thing, but what about sticks that were brought in while it was still legal? Or those that were perhaps on hand in this country prior to that?

Is it now illegal to possess them or only illegal to bring them in?

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@jlmarta

Is it now illegal to possess them or only illegal to bring them in?

No ....it is only illegal to sell them in the US

You can smoke them all u want as well and possess any limit. You can still gift them as well.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Can't bring in or import in any way.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Cuban tobacco no Cuban rum. For now.

• PapaJackPapaJack Posts: 2

Has anyone tried mail order from Hong Kong or Switzerland?

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that would just be illegal

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceeding the speed limit is illegal.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Web searches are illegal.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:

Web searches are legal they just get reported to the government

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Illegal?
    That ought to do it.
    Glad that's settled.

Damn commies.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Do you mean the ones in Cuba or the ones in DC?

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoke with my neighbor yesterday, he's partial to cubans. He said he cannot get anything in from Cuba or anywhere that sells them shipped into the US.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28 said:
    Spoke with my neighbor yesterday, he's partial to cubans. He said he cannot get anything in from Cuba or anywhere that sells them shipped into the US.

He probably thought you were dry-begging for a Cuban.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:

@TX98Z28 said:

He probably thought you were dry-begging for a Cuban.

I've done it before :D , after he gave me 2 Cuaba Salomones for my birthday years ago, I was hooked!!!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

The spending never stopped since then :D

• PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:

@Yakster said:

Web searches are legal they just get reported to the government

They will never ban their biggest line of intel

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

I have a friend who assured me his source was legit Put in an order and got them. I ran the serial number on the authenticity website and they didnt match what the serial number was said to be. Anyone know the accuracy of the checker?

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PuertoRicoShawn said:
    I have a friend who assured me his source was legit Put in an order and got them. I ran the serial number on the authenticity website and they didnt match what the serial number was said to be. Anyone know the accuracy of the checker?

The checker is no good. There are too many ways around it. A serial number can be stamped and restamped over and over. It will still show up as what it was originally used for. Reliable sources are getting harder to find. The prices have shot up so much recently that it’s increased the temptation to do fakes just as much. And now since they can command more money…they can afford to do things to make their fakes look even better and still make a huge profit.

That was what I suspected. so its pretty much a crap shoot no matter where you buy them. No way to tell if any are actually authentic. I enjoyed them so no harm no foul either way, but seems like pretty much a waste of money to even try.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cubans have gone down hill, from my understanding, despite the drastically inflated prices they now command. I have no personal experience and doubt I ever acquire any.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

@d_blades said:
    Cubans have gone down hill, from my understanding, despite the drastically inflated prices they now command. I have no personal experience and doubt I ever acquire any.

I have heard this as well. But then I hear alot of people swear by them. However I suspect that has a lot to do with the mystique

Fake or not, those Montes you've been sharing are really good.

@ShawnOL said:
    Fake or not, those Montes you've been sharing are really good.

That was my thinking. And why i am not upset just curious.

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man, well , this is your journey buddy. I have definitely been there. I was a Habanos slave for a couple of years.
    I can say… as the unofficial curator of a well known unbanded contest… they don’t score very well.