Home Non Cigar Related

Local "Wetland Reconstruction"

I will start this post with a little bit of back story. I work for a hotel the has a large wooded wetland area the backs the property. This area has been home to plenty of wildlife including a nice size family of Redtail Hawks, Owls and tons of Deer. I enjoy eating lunch out back and watching the animals durring the summer and really love finding the shed racks of the resident monster buck (15 points this year with 6" drops). So I get to work today and do the property walk with the other managers and we find a few large areas taped off. I make a call to the people that owned the property to find that they sold it. After a few more calls I find that they have already started work on this so called Wetland Reconstruction. I talked with the property next door to us and found that they are building a road bypass to help with the traffic at the closest intersection that will cut right into the woods and they are building a Hospice Center with its own access road that will cut right into the woods right behind my hotel. After talking to the contractors working on the project I got a copy of the plans and the entire wooded area will be gone. I am not a eco-hippie or anything but I find that this is crazy. How can they take one of the last wooded areas in the city and build a parking lot and call it Wetland Reconstruction. I grew up hunting and fishing and I love the outdoors and this just pisses me off. The worst part is that there is a hospital with a huge campus that is sitting mostly empty less than 2 miles away. Sorry if this is running on but it just pissed me off and I wanted to share or "vent"

Comments

• undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Best of luck. Damn shame.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Redtail hawks you say? Well damn, there goes Ozzie.....

On another note, that really sucks. What hotel do you work for?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Oh you didn't get that memo, The Govt doesn't really give a rats behind about saving habitat, only increasing the tax roles and calling it habitat restoration. When you actually save some accidentally they will do their damndest to keep all humans out of it to protect the wildlife, unless of course it is needed for another "wetlands reconstruction project" Our present Govt sucks!. Rant over!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    fla-gypsy:
    Oh you didn't get that memo, The Govt doesn't really give a rats behind about saving habitat, only increasing the tax roles and calling it habitat restoration. When you actually save some accidentally they will do their damndest to keep all humans out of it to protect the wildlife, unless of course it is needed for another "wetlands reconstruction project" Our present Govt sucks!. Rant over!
    So if / when Obama and the Dems. are replaced this kind of stupidity will end? This is a new Obama type program? Yep bring back bush and the republicans, they sure knew how to run a country !
    memo to Laker: Bush went home to Texas smoking a good stick and no longer gives a damn about what anyone thinks about him. The Dems control EVERYTHING right now and are quickly pushing us toward a political revolution in this country. I know everything is just okey dokey up there but for 3 years all I heard was how W was ruining the country. So this is how we fix it?? I don't think so, in fact I am confident a bunch of these idiots will be packing their bags in November. Obama has never run anything and the loser/thug he is smells like the rotten stench that is the Democratic Party. I am forced to vote for Republicans or vote for tards. I will attempt to find some true conservative candidates who actually love their nation in the coming elections. The only other option is armed insurrection and we already tried that. I know it brings you great pleasure to see upheaval here but do not think for a minute that failures to control a Govt run amuck here will not have an impact on the rest of the world.
    fla-gypsy:
    memo to Laker: Bush went home to Texas smoking a good stick and no longer gives a damn about what anyone thinks about him. The Dems control EVERYTHING right now and are quickly pushing us toward a political revolution in this country. I know everything is just okey dokey up there but for 3 years all I heard was how W was ruining the country. So this is how we fix it?? I don't think so, in fact I am confident a bunch of these idiots will be packing their bags in November. Obama has never run anything and the loser/thug he is smells like the rotten stench that is the Democratic Party. I am forced to vote for Republicans or vote for tards. I will attempt to find some true conservative candidates who actually love their nation in the coming elections. The only other option is armed insurrection and we already tried that. I know it brings you great pleasure to see upheaval here but do not think for a minute that failures to control a Govt run amuck here will not have an impact on the rest of the world.
    You don't know JACK about me . The questions stands... are you saying that the Obama admin. is responsible for the wetlands issue brought up in this thread? That's silly. I was only trying to point out how you were blaming Obama and his administration for policies and government stupidity which has been going on for a LONG time and not confined to one political party, or one country for that matter. Are you always so bitter and hostile? Does it work for you?
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    That sucks man, I know we don't get much in the way of wooded areas or wildlife in Socal, but I'm far enough away that I'm able to experience just a tiny bit of it and I'd really miss it if it got built over.

I'm not looking to get involved but laker, there's more than just the Bush type of Repubs out here.
    Garen B:
    That sucks man, I know we don't get much in the way of wooded areas or wildlife in Socal, but I'm far enough away that I'm able to experience just a tiny bit of it and I'd really miss it if it got built over.

I'm not looking to get involved but laker, there's more than just the Bush type of Repubs out here.
    This wasn't a comment about Bush only, and if you read what I said I did say that. I was just pointing out that the present administration has no more or less responsibility about those types of bylaws or regulations used to sidestep the proper use of this piece of property.

I was saying that in response to, not prior to the statement from fla-gypsy.

I am sure (and I mean that) that there are thousands or more Republicans who are exceptional people. Just as I am sure there are just as many Democrats who are exceptional people and making comments like...
    Obama has never run anything and the loser/thug he is smells like the rotten stench that is the Democratic Party.

I hardly think that what I said comes off anwhere near as offensive as that comment. I guess it is OK to insult Democrats or "leftwingers" as some folks here see it, but just don't say anything wrong about Israel, or the Republican Party. Got it.

So how 'bout that Tim's beard eh? LMFAO
    You say plenty my friend and anything goes on an "opinion" based board. Just expressing mine too. I would love to smoke a stick with you some time and further explore my disdain for political types in general.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    So if / when Obama and the Dems. are replaced this kind of stupidity will end? This is a new Obama type program? Yep bring back bush and the republicans, they sure knew how to run a country !
    there is a small problem with this rant...

yes this government sucks. so did almost every administration for the last century... maybe even further back. "governments" as a general term, have a tendency violate rights. republican, democrat alike.

obama was never mentioned in this. quit defending him when no defense is needed. this may have been a rant about state or local politics. those are the two most likely to have dealt with this.

the rear problem here isnt even the government. its the people tearing down the woods. unless its the government themselves doing it they have every right to do it no matter how stupid it is. the way to deal with it is to send letters to that company, boycott it if you feel strongly about it. start a group. i can assure you no president gives a *** about this regardless of what "side" they are on.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Ooooooo...... I'm popping some popcorn. This is getting good.....
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    IMO - check out a book titled "political tales and truths". It's a compilation of Mark Twain's letters and articles about politics. Of course everything he wrote was from the turn of the last century - it holds up really well today. Amazing how LITTLE has changed.
    Also agree this is not known or cared about by the executive branch (Rep or Dem). Talk to the local zoning board. They were probably able to stuff the coffers when they switched the zoning for this. They probably felt like so few people would care or notice - it was worth it to them.
    fla-gypsy:
    You say plenty my friend and anything goes on an "opinion" based board. Just expressing mine too. I would love to smoke a stick with you some time and further explore my disdain for political types in general.
    I would enjoy that as well.

Just to be clear, I NEVER said anything about your or anyones opinion or your right to post it. Why do you always seem to mis-read what I say?

I was responding to your comments about what you said..."I know it brings you great pleasure to see upheaval here but do not think for a minute that failures to control a Govt run amuck here will not have an impact on the rest of the world".

That statement is not true. I take no satisfaction whatsoever in what YOU call upheaval. Where did you get that from? What did you base this OPINION of me on?

I would also like to sit down sometime and have a political discussion with you. Maybe then you might come to a more accurate evaluation of my political views. You might even find that I hold MOST politicins of any party and from most countries with contempt.

They no longer work for their country, they are too busy setting things up for themselves. IMO
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    there is a small problem with this rant...

yes this government sucks. so did almost every administration for the last century... maybe even further back. "governments" as a general term, have a tendency violate rights. republican, democrat alike.

obama was never mentioned in this. quit defending him when no defense is needed. this may have been a rant about state or local politics. those are the two most likely to have dealt with this.

the rear problem here isnt even the government. its the people tearing down the woods. unless its the government themselves doing it they have every right to do it no matter how stupid it is. the way to deal with it is to send letters to that company, boycott it if you feel strongly about it. start a group. i can assure you no president gives a *** about this regardless of what "side" they are on.

Ummm, while Obama wasn't "named" in the first post, I believe this answer clearly shows intention, and does name him... fla-gypsy:memo to Laker: Bush went home to Texas smoking a good stick and no longer gives a damn about what anyone thinks about him. The Dems control EVERYTHING right now and are quickly pushing us toward a political revolution in this country. I know everything is just okey dokey up there but for 3 years all I heard was how W was ruining the country. So this is how we fix it?? I don't think so, in fact I am confident a bunch of these idiots will be packing their bags in November. Obama has never run anything and the loser/thug he is smells like the rotten stench that is the Democratic Party. I am forced to vote for Republicans or vote for tards. I will attempt to find some true conservative candidates who actually love their nation in the coming elections. The only other option is armed insurrection and we already tried that. I know it brings you great pleasure to see upheaval here but do not think for a minute that failures to control a Govt run amuck here will not have an impact on the rest of the world.

I do agree with everything else you have said though Kuzi.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    NOT more of this... oh sweet lord.. Anyway, I can't speak for the rest of the country nor have I done any looking into it, but for Oregon there has been a lot of work on wild life and other projects. I was watching a show on discovery about flooding and what not and the scary thing is that wetlands and marshes are a large help for land when it comes to flooding. One of things about the Katrina flooding, is that the wetlands were so neglected. They help absorb the coming hurricanes. California has a huge issue with their wetlands. Basically the beauty of this country has been destroyed by industry and it saddens me very much. My ex's parents had a house built off of the Gorge, and after a few years of them living there, a new development started tearing down trees and a huge amount of land. That area was very peaceful and very green which made being on their deck fantastic. Now it's just more crappy homes and the value of their house has went down. The neighbors protested but ultimately were SOL.
    laker1963:
    Ummm, while Obama wasn't "named" in the first post, I believe this answer clearly shows intention, and does name him...
    im confused by this sentence a bit. were you saying that you thing his intend was that its Obama's fault or are you saying that you named him as an example... er something?
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    Ummm, while Obama wasn't "named" in the first post, I believe this answer clearly shows intention, and does name him...
    im confused by this sentence a bit. were you saying that you thing his intend was that its Obama's fault or are you saying that you named him as an example... er something?
    I was responding to what you were saying about nobody said it was Obamas fault. Then you said that maybe he meant the State government. However the original post was from someone who lives in your State of Ohio, and Fla-Gypsy lives in Florida. So he obviously wasn't talking about the State government, as they do NOT share a State government. My comment was pointing out that he was blaming Obama and the Democrats and he said as much in his next post.

My position was not far off of your own opinion about this NOT being something which was perpetrated from the Feds. and that all Governments of both political parties have been failing the people for years. That's all.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    I was responding to what you were saying about nobody said it was Obamas fault. Then you said that maybe he meant the State government. However the original post was from someone who lives in your State of Ohio, and Fla-Gypsy lives in Florida. So he obviously wasn't talking about the State government, as they do NOT share a State government. My comment was pointing out that he was blaming Obama and the Democrats and he said as much in his next post. What's so confusing?
    Democrats have done far less to cause harm to the environment. That much is for sure. But I do think WAY more needs to be done to fix all the problems that we have done. I think cutting fossil fuel's would be a good start.
    Actually my first post was directed at ALL pols in general and my utter disdain for them. You drug Party affiliation and W into it trying to make some kind of comparison. I have no great love of the job they did the last 4 years they controlled the Govt either.
    fla-gypsy:
    Actually my first post was directed at ALL pols in general and my utter disdain for them. You drug Party affiliation and W into it trying to make some kind of comparison. I have no great love of the job they did the last 4 years they controlled the Govt either.
    Your response to me indicated none of that.

"Our present Govt sucks!." Is what you said, if that is not what you meant... then no harm no foul.
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    I was responding to what you were saying about nobody said it was Obamas fault. Then you said that maybe he meant the State government. However the original post was from someone who lives in your State of Ohio, and Fla-Gypsy lives in Florida. So he obviously wasn't talking about the State government, as they do NOT share a State government. My comment was pointing out that he was blaming Obama and the Democrats and he said as much in his next post.

My position was not far off of your own opinion about this NOT being something which was perpetrated from the Feds. and that all Governments of both political parties have been failing the people for years. That's all.
    got ya. i just needed some clarification.
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    Your response to me indicated none of that.

"Our present Govt sucks!." Is what you said, if that is not what you meant... then no harm no foul.
    None taken or intended. Political opinions are the sole possession of their owners. LOL