Home Ratings & Reviews

Liga Privada T52

TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
I haven't seen these reviewed here, so I figure I'll post my thoughts. Smoked one last night, all from memory.

The Liga Privada is made by Drew Estate, but this is certainly not infused or flavored or whatever you want to call it. So before you start hatin on DE, check one out. Perfect construction - very delicious looking if I do say so myself. :) Very dark and toothy wrapper, minimal veins, and a very nice looking band. This one was a Toro size - 6x52. Purchased at a B&M in Ohio - been in the Humi since mid Feb.

Burn was perfect from start to finish - razor sharp. Ash held on for a little over an inch before I knocked it off each time - didn't want to make a mess of the bar I was smoking at.

Taste was very good. Very rich, heavy texture to the smoke. The flavors were a darker variety of coffee (dominated much of the 1st third) earth, chocolate, and leather. For a stronger cigar, there wasn't a lot of spice through the nose - it was very smooth. There was a slight sweetness to the finish which I really enjoyed. During the last third, there was a ten minute section where there was a bitterness to the wrapper, thankfully it dissipated and I was able to finish out the smoke.

Overall I really enjoyed it. The guy I was smoking with could tell I was very impressed for the nearly two hours we were smoking. Great burn, wonderful flavors, yeah I like it a lot. Price point is about $11 a stick, so there is a lot of competition at this price point for some awesome cigars. And at that price point, for me to buy more I need to be really blown away. Taking that into consideration, I would probably opt for something else, but I am glad I picked this one up at the herf in Ohio. I am looking forward to trying the Liga Privada #9 sometime soon.

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Before I even read this I am going to say that this is one of the best cigar lines I have ever tried, and there are only two in the line! The T52 and the No. 9 are simply amazing cigars... Those guys at Drew Estates really knew what they were doing when they blended these two smokes. I can't say the same for much of their other stuff, but these things freaking ROCK!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ejenne87:
    Before I even read this I am going to say that this is one of the best cigar lines I have ever tried, and there are only two in the line! The T52 and the No. 9 are simply amazing cigars... Those guys at Drew Estates really knew what they were doing when they blended these two smokes. I can't say the same for much of their other stuff, but these things freaking ROCK!
    I've got my eye on the #9 after trying this one. I've got a good pile of "save for Phil" cigars sitting at Jeff Jackson's desk. I may have to add a couple of the #9s to it.
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    I've got my eye on the #9 after trying this one. I've got a good pile of "save for Phil" cigars sitting at Jeff Jackson's desk. I may have to add a couple of the #9s to it.
    I have him holding some smokes for me as well. I'll try to include some in the next "care package" I send your way so you can try them out. I enjoy the No. 9 only slightly more, and I am assuming it is because of the wrapper... I am not positive, but I think that is the only major difference between the two.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    I have him holding some smokes for me as well. I'll try to include some in the next "care package" I send your way so you can try them out. I enjoy the No. 9 only slightly more, and I am assuming it is because of the wrapper... I am not positive, but I think that is the only major difference between the two.
    Actually, the major difference is that the fillers in the T52 are stalk-cut tobacco, instead of harvesting the leaves individually the entire tobacco plant is cut at the stalk, hung and cured. The entire process takes longer that way, but what you get is spicier tobacco. Learned that at a DE event, thought I'd pass it along.

I really enjoy them both, need to get some more T52s.
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    Yep. According to ccom, the No. 9 is a the maduro, T52 is the Habano. Same filler. Given that you and me are maduro whores, it definitely doesn't surprise me that you like the #9 better. :)
    j0z3r:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    Actually, the major difference is that the fillers in the T52 are stalk-cut tobacco, instead of harvesting the leaves individually the entire tobacco plant is cut at the stalk, hung and cured. The entire process takes longer that way, but what you get is spicier tobacco. Learned that at a DE event, thought I'd pass it along.

Do you know if the plants come from similar seeds? They taste very similar, but the No. 9 is just a bit sweeter, maybe not quite as spicy... I'll light one of each up at the same time soon and see what I come up with.
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    Yep. According to ccom, the No. 9 is a the maduro, T52 is the Habano. Same filler. Given that you and me are maduro whores, it definitely doesn't surprise me that you like the #9 better. :)
    We do seem to have similar taste in cigars... I'll be sure to toss at least one in the next package I send your way.
    ejenne87:
    j0z3r:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:

Do you know if the plants come from similar seeds? They taste very similar, but the No. 9 is just a bit sweeter, maybe not quite as spicy... I'll light one of each up at the same time soon and see what I come up with.
    I think the filler tobaccos are of the same strain, so yes, just different harvesting methods. Don't hold me to it though, because I can't be 100% sure on this. Both excellent cigars though, Steve Saka has good taste.
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    We do seem to have similar taste in cigars... I'll be sure to toss at least one in the next package I send your way.
    Nice! I'm heading back to that bar tomorrow with the "best IPA I've ever had" and I hope they bottle it. I've gotta send you some of this stuff - it's like beer crack.
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    Nice! I'm heading back to that bar tomorrow with the "best IPA I've ever had" and I hope they bottle it. I've gotta send you some of this stuff - it's like beer crack.
    OH MAN!! I am soo excited about this beer! All I have thought about over the last two days is when I get to enjoy some Stone IPA again and I think that time is tomorrow!
    j0z3r:
    ejenne87:
    j0z3r:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:

I think the filler tobaccos are of the same strain, so yes, just different harvesting methods. Don't hold me to it though, because I can't be 100% sure on this. Both excellent cigars though, Steve Saka has good taste.
    That makes pretty good sense though. I think I might need to email Alex and ask for more info, this seems interesting...
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    OH MAN!! I am soo excited about this beer! All I have thought about over the last two days is when I get to enjoy some Stone IPA again and I think that time is tomorrow!
    Mmmm Stone IPA. Have you ever had Short's Brewing Co. IPA? Somehow I doubt it, tiny brewery in MI.
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    Mmmm Stone IPA. Have you ever had Short's Brewing Co. IPA? Somehow I doubt it, tiny brewery in MI.
    I have not. I will look for it though.

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I recently had Founder's Centennial IPA and it was AMAZING! Founder's is in MI if I am not mistaken...
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:

I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I recently had Founder's Centennial IPA and it was AMAZING! Founder's is in MI if I am not mistaken...
    Yes - the last time I was at the Brewery in Grand Rapids was a couple years ago. I was on a Porter and Stout kick at the time - they have a ridiculous Porter, btw. I don't recall their IPA, probably because I started to get into IPAs a lot more the last year or so. Great brewery.
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:

Yes - the last time I was at the Brewery in Grand Rapids was a couple years ago. I was on a Porter and Stout kick at the time - they have a ridiculous Porter, btw. I don't recall their IPA, probably because I started to get into IPAs a lot more the last year or so. Great brewery.
    You need to check out that IPA. The Flying Saucer call it "the prefect American IPA"
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    From what I understand, it was either the No. 9 or the T52 that was originally made to be Steve Saka's personal cigar. I think it was the No. 9.
    sightunseen:
    From what I understand, it was either the No. 9 or the T52 that was originally made to be Steve Saka's personal cigar. I think it was the No. 9.
    If this is the case, that guy has some GREAT taste in cigars. I might have to fire one of each up tonight and do a side-by-side comparison.
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    If this is the case, that guy has some GREAT taste in cigars. I might have to fire one of each up tonight and do a side-by-side comparison.
    Yea, hence the name "Liga Privada" (Private Blend). From interviews and such, he seems like a pretty cool guy. In fact, on another forum, he personally answered a lot of the questions surrounding the Liga Privada line. It was very enlightening. I don't think he cares too much for ACIDs though, haha.
    sightunseen:
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    Yea, hence the name "Liga Privada" (Private Blend). From interviews and such, he seems like a pretty cool guy. In fact, on another forum, he personally answered a lot of the questions surrounding the Liga Privada line. It was very enlightening. I don't think he cares too much for ACIDs though, haha.
    I always kinda wondered what that meant, now I know! That's pretty awesome of him to actualy answer questions directly. Sounds like a decent guy. And the fact that he doesn't like ACID's is a definite plus.
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    I always kinda wondered what that meant, now I know! That's pretty awesome of him to actualy answer questions directly. Sounds like a decent guy. And the fact that he doesn't like ACID's is a definite plus.
    Yea, it really gives their operations a "boutique" feel. A PM to you.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i personally like the no.9 better. not that i dont like the T52.... i just feel there is more complexity and subtlety in the no.9.
    kuzi16:
    i personally like the no.9 better. not that i dont like the T52.... i just feel there is more complexity and subtlety in the no.9.
    I've heard this from a lot of guys. I have 3 on the way from ccom, I'll get to smoke a #9 one of these days and see how it compares for myself.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    I read on another forum he in fact told Johnatan Drew he did not care for his Acid line. Johnathan appreciated his honesty and hired him as president anyway. I think Steve Saka is greatly repected in the industry. I have only tried one No.9 and fell in love with it. Can't wait to have some more! Interested in how the sise by side comparison goes too.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I've been saying I'm going to try the Liga's for some time now but have never got around to it. DE is what got me started on cigars ages ago and I have somewhat of a soft spot for them. Unfortunately I have yet to see a deal that really makes me want to get some!
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    mrpillow:
    I've been saying I'm going to try the Liga's for some time now but have never got around to it. DE is what got me started on cigars ages ago and I have somewhat of a soft spot for them. Unfortunately I have yet to see a deal that really makes me want to get some!
    Yea this cigar has such positive buzz! I haven't seen anything either. I was on phone with Tim last week and he mentioned that he was going to put something together on the Liga No.9. Shoot him an email and I will too. It can't hurt.
    Dark Roast:
    mrpillow:
    Yea this cigar has such positive buzz! I haven't seen anything either. I was on phone with Tim last week and he mentioned that he was going to put something together on the Liga No.9. Shoot him an email and I will too. It can't hurt.
    Jeff hooked me up on the price on the no 9s. Course, I had a rather large order already, so that's not to say he can give everyone a great price on them, but like you said, Dark Roast, it doesn't hurt to ask.
  • sightunseen:
    ejenne87:
    sightunseen:
    I think he gave someone on here a box of stogies.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm gonna have to get some of these. Recommendations would be appreciated on if I should get the No 9 or the T52 though. I'm leaning T52....
    ENFIDL:
    I'm gonna have to get some of these. Recommendations would be appreciated on if I should get the No 9 or the T52 though. I'm leaning T52....
    Both really, they are both very nice blends. If you like a richer flavor, go with the No 9, if you are looking for a spicier flavor go for the T52, but really both are very good in their own right.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Didnt care for it but if you liked it then the 9 will blow you away. If all you have smoked is the 9 then don't waste your time.