Home Cigar 101

noobie question of the day

hoagyhoagy Posts: 5
i just recieved my COTMC free humidor today and some fine cigars to go into it. as i am unpacking everything and admiring it, i thought while putting the smokes into the humi, should i leave them in the cellophane or take them out? i have left them in as that is the way i find most in a smoke shop. just looking for a professional opinon. i have the 10 cigars in the 20ct humidor, with the 2 humi pillows that came with them. is that too many? should i only use the one as it says it is good for 15-20? thanks for any help Hoagy

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've gone the "no-cello" route, and take it from me it is more trouble than its worth. I say leave your cello on and you'll be better off as the cigars are less prone to damage with a condom on... wait, are we talking cigars still?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I've gone the "no-cello" route, and take it from me it is more trouble than its worth. I say leave your cello on and you'll be better off as the cigars are less prone to damage with a condom on... wait, are we talking cigars still?
    I second Joe on that, I leave the cello on to protect them, but opinions vary, " wrap that rascal" .
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    hoagy:
    i just recieved my COTMC free humidor today and some fine cigars to go into it. as i am unpacking everything and admiring it, i thought while putting the smokes into the humi, should i leave them in the cellophane or take them out? i have left them in as that is the way i find most in a smoke shop. just looking for a professional opinon. i have the 10 cigars in the 20ct humidor, with the 2 humi pillows that came with them. is that too many? should i only use the one as it says it is good for 15-20? thanks for any help Hoagy

I may be just a worry wort, but make sure the humi is seasoned before you put those cigars in it. (If they cigars CAME in the humi then I wouldn't worry the C.com guys done it for you)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cello in or out... this debate will never end. do what you prefer. it makes almost no difference.

...did you call us professionals?
    ha! we got you fooled.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    cello in or out... this debate will never end. do what you prefer. it makes almost no difference.

ha! we got you fooled.
    Professional means you get paid. Amateur means you don't. What the hell is it when you spend everything you have to do it?
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

ha! we got you fooled.
    Professional means you get paid. Amateur means you don't. What the hell is it when you spend everything you have to do it?
    Addict
    Good call. Well that doesn't make me feel good.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i leave the cello on especially while aging cause you can definitely tell when a cigar has been aged with the cello on and so when i go into ym humidor i dont hurt the cigar itself
  • have you guys ever seen crystals form on a cigar after a month or so? I got a box of Punch magnum a while back and noticed some on those but not my other ones. Is there a meaning to this? Wierd! It kind of looks like the crystals that form on ganja buds!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Celtic: That is the oils in the tobacco seeping out through the wrapper and crystallizing, its generally called plume or bloom and is thought of as a good thing as it means the oils are migrating in your cigar at that will lead to a more balanced flavor.
    Celtic Rider:
    Wierd! It kind of looks like the crystals that form on ganja buds!
    I know nothing of this....
    kuzi16:
    Celtic Rider:
    You're in the restaurant business you guys prefer that white powdery stuff ;)
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Celtic Rider:
    god i wish that was a joke. there is a guy i work with and he would be a great cook if he could lay off the smack.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Celtic Rider:
    god i wish that was a joke. there is a guy i work with and he would be a great cook if he could lay off the smack.
    Its rampant in your industry for sure. I guess its the late nights and all. I remember being in high school working in a chain place and watching cooks do it right out in the open.
    before i was transfered to that store the GM got fired for the nose candy. I was snet there to help clean up his mess.
    NICE! Its always good when it starts at the top.
  • How long should you let your smokes sit in your humidor after gettin them in the mail? i noticed if i smoke one right away i get major run problems! ( Uneven Burning). Its happened to me twice now! i dont have this problem when i buy them at the smoke shop. Or if they sit in the humi for a week. Am I the one person it happens to? Thanks
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Celtic Rider:
    How long should you let your smokes sit in your humidor after gettin them in the mail? i noticed if i smoke one right away i get major run problems! ( Uneven Burning). Its happened to me twice now! i dont have this problem when i buy them at the smoke shop. Or if they sit in the humi for a week. Am I the one person it happens to? Thanks
    This isn't uncommon. I usually try to let mine rest for 2 weeks before lighting one up, but unless they got very ill-conditioned during shipping, 1 is probably enough.
  • Kind of sucks cuz now ive onley got i aged smoke for the weekend now. I guess i could breakdown and go to the shop!!!