Home General Discussion

Introduction - Dark Roast

Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
Hi Guys, While I'm not big on talking about myself I figure it made sense if I wanted to continue to post to these boards, which I do. Name: Mike Born: Washington, DC Grew Up: Norther Virginia Moved: Orlando Florida 1989, Highland Indiana 1997 Started Smoking: Twelve Years Old - Big Gross Flavored Stick - Puked my guts out and didn't smoke for a long while! 1989 - In Florida turned on to Fuente Maduro 858 and loved them. Continued smoking maybe one a week or every two weeks. More of a fascination than love. 2008 - Introduced to Drew Estate infused. Really enjoyed and started smoking Blondies, Kuba Kuba, Ones and Java's. 2010 - Started watching sites like "Cigar Obsession and "Nice Tight Ash" and found the reviews of cigars compelling and, well, exciting! (Don't go Clinton on me) So I decided to start branching out. A couple weeks ago I tried a Liga Privada No. 9 at a B&M DE event and fell in love with non infused cigars. I have a couple humidors and my wife is understanding if not some what supportive of my hobby. Up to a point that is. This new feeling I have for cigars is a whole new level of engadgement and I don't know if she is ready to go along for ride. But I'm going. I have a thousand questions and want to smoke every stick I can get my hands on! Threads: I don't know what a BOTL is. I don't know what a PM is. I don't know how to answer specific peoples comments. I don't know what a bomb is. Favorites: I have no idea because my taste is changing or evolving. About me: "Dark Roast" is the type of coffee I enoy drinking. I work for a very large coffee company and am in sales/restaurant distribution. I also enjoy drinking micro brews, good wine, fine liquor and an occasional glass of milk! Married with two boys age 13 and 10 (yes I started late having children) wife is younger than me. Enjoy: Cooking, specifically BBQ and any and all types of grilling. I grill year round snow and all. Play some guitar. Smoking cigars - of course. Enjoy company of people that enjoy cigars. Well thats it for now. I'm going out on deck and smoking a cigar with a cup of dark roast coffee and water. Thank You for listening/reading. Dark Roast (aka Mike)

Comments

• mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Quite the introduction there Mike, welcome to the forums! I think you'll soon find you spend far more time here than you think is healthy, we all do =D

One note, if you start investing in non-infused cigars you'll want to keep them in a separate humidor from your infused cigars, otherwise they will taint the non-infused sticks!

Once again, welcome, and hope you enjoy your stay!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    BOTL= Brotherhood Of The Leaf
    PM= Private Message(accessed through this site)
    Bomb= Cigars sent to borthers as part of a trading program
    Just about all of us gravitate toward fuller bodied sticks over time but still enjoy all types. Your tastes will develop fairly quickly.
    Glad you joined in.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Welcome Mike BOTL- Brother Of The Leaf and PM = Personal Message, glad to have your aboard . I have two boys about the same age. Enjoy the boards, you will learn a ton from all the folks on here.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    fla-gypsy:
    Just about all of us gravitate toward fuller bodied sticks over time...
    That's what she said... LOL Oh and he forgot to mention we're serious about not being to serious. Welcome...

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. As you can see, we can be a little nuts here. That's why it's great!
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warm welcome and definition of the abbreviations. Smoked a 5 Vegas Clasic Robusto I got in a sampler. It was an ok smoke. Didn't pick up flavors as described in CCom reviews. Will continue to try different cigars and look forward to learning from and communicating with you guys. Thanks for the heads up on keeping infused seperate from non. It's nice to be amongst BOTL!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow what an intro! Welcome to the forums.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mike, good to have you here. Lots of good info and good people here.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    welcome to the Jungle it gets worse here everyday!
    Nice Intro! Im a Big cooking BBQ in fool! Year round as well but i am in california NO SNOW.
    Se you Around
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    hey welcome bud! these guys arent kidding once you get posting it will be hard to stop! there is a ton of great info here and all these guys may be crazy (me excluded of course :P) but we all have fun!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Well, I think after giving us your name and your entire history, you left out your social security number, your home address, and your credit card number . . . . but hey, that's a typical newbie mistake. Now if you'd provide that info, along with a sampling of your humidor, you'll be properly welcome on the forums
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Dark Roast:
    I don't know how to answer specific peoples comments.
    If you mean like this....you just have to hit the "quote" button instead of the "reply" button, welcome to the forums, and what is your favorite coffee?
    I need to learn how to thread certain comments together. How is it done? Until then i will type out! Thanks; Jsnake, Pokerslob, Redtailhawk, illinoisgolf and xmacro for your welcome. Alot of interesting names you guys have and I am sure there is a good story behind each one. Redtailhawk - One day I will travel to your beautiful state...have drempt of living there one day. It's inexpensive right?LOL xmacro; I have PM'd you with all your requested information...go easy on my credit card because after CCom purchases there aint much left on it! LOL As far as my Humidor It has: 5Vegas A, Classuc & Gold (DD); Antano Double Fuente, Joya De Nicaragua Antano (freebies with DE purchase); Cohiba Red Dot (1 I got as gift); MOW Ruination and Indios Viejo (DD); Makers Mark Seasoned (1 don't know where and how I got) DE: La Vic a Habano, Natural Root, Blondie, One, Java Maduro and Sauza tequila Hornitos. I am awaiting arrival of GOF with Bugati lighter. I am keeping infused/flavored seperate, something I didn't always do! That's where I stand right now. Hope to increase variety. Problem I have is I hate to buy individual sticks (to costly by the each) but don't need to have as many of one flavor that comes in a box...at least not yet anyway. I only smoke one stick a day. Sometimes two a day on weekend. Any suggestions?
    letsgowithbob:
    Dark Roast:
    I don't know how to answer specific peoples comments.
    If you mean like this....you just have to hit the "quote" button instead of the "reply" button, welcome to the forums, and what is your favorite coffee?
    Thanks - Right now I am drinking a line called Metropolitan; It is a Dark roasted All Arabica Mid to High elevation. This particular one is Kona blend. It is a little lighter than some of the other Metropolitan varities. The Kona bean is mixed with South American blend. Kona percentage is noticable but not great. Do you enjoy a good cup of coffee? My taste trends to a more robust cup of coffee, from time to time I will go as dark as French Roast or even Italian. I'm not a huge fan of Starbucks heavier roast. There is a fine line between dark and burnt which I think they overstep sometimes.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Welcome aboard Mike, nice intro. I also enjoy dark roast coffee, matter of fact I'm enjoying some now!Head over to the trades/passes and bombs forum and click on this thread to enter a guess for a chance at a prize. Anyone is welcome. Glad you're here, and while you're here make sure to have some fun!
    cabinetmaker:
    Welcome aboard Mike, nice intro. I also enjoy dark roast coffee, matter of fact I'm enjoying some now!Head over to the trades/passes and bombs forum and click on this thread to enter a guess for a chance at a prize. Anyone is welcome. Glad you're here, and while you're here make sure to have some fun!
    Just went! Thanks for invite cabinetmaker. Glad you enjoy a dark roast cup of Joe! The BOTL is an amazing group of guys and assuming gals too. Very generous prize you are gifting for your 1000th post. Have a good day!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome Mike.
    Many of us here enjoy good coffee along with our cigars.
    This morning I am enjoying some awesome Nicaragua Beans (full city roast). These are a high grown bean, and do real good from med. dark to full on Starbucks. ( I too think they burn their beans)

Nice intro., I hope you stick around and add to our little community.
    ---mispost
    double posted somehow
    laker1963:
    Welcome Mike.
    This morning I am enjoying some awesome Nicaragua Beans (full city roast). These are a high grown bean, and do real good from med. dark to full on Starbucks. ( I too think they burn their beans)

Thanks Laker. As long as I'm welcome I plan on hangin. Great choice on your coffee by the way. Like cigars I think coffee can be enjoyed morning, noon and night. Liquor on the other hand is certainly a morning drink only!lol
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Dark Roast:
    laker1963:
    Welcome Mike.

Thanks Laker. As long as I'm welcome I plan on hangin. Great choice on your coffee by the way. Like cigars I think coffee can be enjoyed morning, noon and night. Liquor on the other hand is certainly a morning drink only!lol
    rofl.

Welcome to our little home, Mike. Good to have you with us. I'm one of the rare guys here that doesn't really enjoy coffee. I stopped drinking most caffeine a long time ago and now it makes me all weird when I drink coffee. Headaches, weird stomach pains. It sucks - I enjoy the taste of most coffee, just not how it affects me.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike

Wanted to throw my .02 in, as I was incommunicado over the weekend: Welcome to the forum! Quite the introduction you put out, and from your subsequent comments it seems like you'll fit in great! It's an awesome group we have here, comprised of some the coolest, most generous, and craziest motherphuckers you can imagine...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Welcome Darkroast -

You'll find plenty of great advice around here. Everyone is very helpful. Reminds me of calling CCOM to place an order LOL! Any questions feel free to ask (don't be shocked when your thread takes a weird turn). I also recommend using the search box. Did I see you play a bit of guitar?
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums, looking forward to your contributions to the board. Something you might want to consider is to edit out your full name and DOB for security. The BOTLs here are all very stand-up folks, but you never know who else is reading these forums.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Welcome Mike hope you stick around and enjoy!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome Mikey !!!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Hey! Brain just caught up now. PM me a few sticks you'd like to try and I'll swap for some killer bean. Let me know what you think.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have ya. FYI...don't ever make the mistake of mentioning the "T" word...if you hang around long enough, you will learn what it is. Oh, and watch out for this other guy on here, Kuzi, he doesn't know $hit about cigars! jk

"Long ashes my friends."

• badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    Krieg:
    Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have ya. FYI...don't ever make the mistake of mentioning the "T" word...if you hang around long enough, you will learn what it is. Oh, and watch out for this other guy on here, Kuzi, he doesn't know $hit about cigars! jk

T-word?

I dont think I qualify as a newbie anymore but I am still not sure what that word is... I have heard of a B-word that makes BOTLs skin crawl and makes them want to check theirs sticks daily to prevent an infestation.

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    badge54fd:
    Krieg:

T-word?

I dont think I qualify as a newbie anymore but I am still not sure what that word is... I have heard of a B-word that makes BOTLs skin crawl and makes them want to check theirs sticks daily to prevent an infestation.

T-word refers to a certain cigar company with some shady business practices.