Home General Discussion

Humidification Device Placement

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
Hey folks, where do you have your humidifier placed in relation to your hygrometer?

Right next to it, or as far from it as possible?

The reason I ask is I cannot get a decent reading if I place it far away. I have 4 oz of Heartfelt Beads in a tube in a 150 ct desktop, as well as the rectangular green sponge that came with it (in the lid), and even a few pillows. But my humididty will not read 65% (the beads' rating) unless I place the tube up front, near the hygrometer. My original thought was you would want the beads as far from the hygrometer, to show worst case scenario.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :D

Comments

• ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    The first thing that come to mind have you checked the seal of your humi? The next would be what type of hygrometer do you have and when was the last time it was calibrated?

I live in So. Fla. so the humidity here is higher than most places. With that being said, I also have Heartfelt 65% beads in all of my humidors, placed on the bottom, with nothing near my hygrometers. The average reading is 69%. I do expect the readings to still be high as I started using the 65% beads about 1-1/2 months ago. Prior to that I was using 70% beads (reading 74%) from another vendor.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I would imagine ( and I may very well be wrong ) that having your meter somewhere near the midpoint of your humidification devices would give the most balanced and accurate reading. It would seem to me that your readings would not be directly influenced by the close proximity to the humidity but would also not reflect the lowest areas of humidification located the furthest from your humidifier, and therefore would reflect the average humidity of your box.
  • CrimthannCrimthann Posts: 37
    ashmaster:
    The first thing that come to mind have you checked the seal of your humi? The next would be what type of hygrometer do you have and when was the last time it was calibrated?

I live in So. Fla. so the humidity here is higher than most places. With that being said, I also have Heartfelt 65% beads in all of my humidors, placed on the bottom, with nothing near my hygrometers. The average reading is 69%. I do expect the readings to still be high as I started using the 65% beads about 1-1/2 months ago. Prior to that I was using 70% beads (reading 74%) from another vendor.
    This man speaks the truth. :). Sounds like you either don't have a good seal on the humi or you need to salt test your hydrometer. If you haven't salt tested the hydrometer you definitely should. My electronic one is off by 6% just to give you an idea on how screwed up they come. To test your seal you should pick up the top a few inches and drop it. If you hear kinda a woosh sound your seal is fine, if its a hard wood smack then there's a problem. You can buy some weather stripping to fix it though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i over compensate with beads in my humidor. i dont think there is a spot in my humis that dont read 69% (+4 on the hygromiter) at any given moment. placement isnt much of an issue for me.

However, If i had a larger humidor that was tall i would have beads on the top and on the bottem with a hygromiter on the top and somewhere in the middle as well. I mean , if we are talkin a 5+ foot humi there BETTER be more than one hygromiter in there.

I would also only add water to the TOP set of beads because the moisture will sink down to the lower beads naturaly. a hygromiter at teh bottem just seems kinda pointless to me.

all said and done i would put my hygromiter as far away from the humidity as i could.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I have drop tested and dollar tested my seal, and that seems fine. But admittedly my hygrometer is an analog. I salt tested it a year ago; I am reading into this I need to do it more often, and will do so today.

When I first picked the beads, my thoughts were since I live in an arid climate (northern rockies), I would use the 70% beads. But based on comments on the CA forums, folks there reported that their 65% beads clocked in at 67%...and so I went that way, to my detriment it seems. I assumed that since the beads are manufactured to release their moisture to the rated RH, it did not matter what my climate was; live and learn.

My humidor is fully stocked, very full, so that is not an issue. But I am curious about my hygrometer. Is there a digital out there that folks might point to that would have a unit inside the humidor to measure, but can send out to a remote display? And preferably the inside unit cigar shaped? It really is stocked, and so there is not an excess of space inside the damn thing :P

Lastly, have folks ever seen these, and what are your thoughts?

http://www.humidor-guide.com/hygrometer-analog-or-digital-3-1.php3

Thanks folks :D
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    And after a little bit of searching, I found these two. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.2ndstreet-cigars.com/fm-wirelesshygro.html

http://bcspecialties.com/cigarasp/hyg.asp
  • I have one on each level. The lower shelves are higher humidity and the higher are lower. Heavy air sinks. I get about 10 to 12 percent difference from top to bottom. All my cigars go to where they do best.
  • 6clicks6clicks Posts: 34
    In the case of the pellets in tubes, can they be placed right with the cigars? I don't have room in my humi to put them where they would be separated very much from my smokes.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yup. should be no problems at all.
  • 6clicks6clicks Posts: 34

Thanks Kuzi,

George