Home Cigar 101

Favorite sumatra wrapper?

LCarLCar Posts: 57
Hey guys. I havent been on in quite some time. I just havent had the time, i've been busy, but its good to be back. I agree with all of you who said that everyone including the Ccom staff is doing a good job with the forums in reference to keeping the trash off of the forums. Kudos to all for that. I know that there are many expereinced smokers on here, and I look to you all for some help now. Thank you in advance for your replies. I would like to know what your favorite sumatra wrapped cigar(s) is/are that are available here on Ccom. I am a fan of this wrapper, and I am planning in a few weeks to put together a decent order. I will include some maduros and connecticuts, and I know I will have a Verdadero in there too, as I like the unique flavor of that stick, but I really dont know too many smokes that use the sumatra, and I know that many of you probably have had some good ones. I have had the House cuban label, and really for the price its quite good, but I'm not sure what other sumatras they offer without going through the whole list, and plus I value your opinions. Thanks again guys!

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Mine is the Don Carlos. Hands down. Other than that, I'd recommend reading back through my Boffo Birthday Order contest thread from 2008. Duty recommended a bunch of great Ecuadorian Sumatra stogies.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I haven't had the Don Carlos yet, but have a few in the wings to try. So far I think my fav is the RP ITC 10th anniversary. I haven't had a ton of sumatra's yet, but the 10th is very tasty.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Alright I'll ruin the coolness of this thread.
    The Puros Indeos Viejo.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Mine is the Don Carlos. Hands down. Other than that, I'd recommend reading back through my Boffo Birthday Order contest thread from 2008. Duty recommended a bunch of great Ecuadorian Sumatra stogies.
    I thought the DC has a cameroon wrapper? Am I mistaken? Tongue Tied [:S]

I really dig the Sol Cubano Sumatra.

For a high dollar stick, the Graycliff Red Label is pretty good too.
  • j0z3r:
    urbino:

I think he talking 'bout the GOF
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    mustluvcigars:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:

The Don Carlito GOF is cameroon, the Don Carlos GOF is sumatra.
    Duder2:
    mustluvcigars:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:

Since Urbs only said Don Carlos, and I know he likes the Fuente Don Carlos line, I assumed that was the cigar he was referring to.
  • j0z3r:
    Duder2:
    mustluvcigars:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:

Since Urbs only said Don Carlos, and I know he likes the Fuente Don Carlos line, I assumed that was the cigar he was referring to.
    Well he might have been, The Don Carlos is a cameroon, so I thought meant the Don Carlos GOF, but then I clicked his link, and found a post stating that the cameroon is actually a sumatra grown in Cameroon. Learn sumtin new every day here :)
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57
    stephen_hannibal:
    Alright I'll ruin the coolness of this thread.
    The Puros Indeos Viejo.

Hmm, I actually was looking at this one to try a while ago, but I never got around to ordering it.
    Well, Thanks again guys, i'll be ordering some of your recommendations for sure.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Some of my favorite cigars are wrapped in sumatra leaves. Off the top of my head check out Rocky Patel 1992, Rocky Patel decades (which aren't listed on ccom's site but give them a call) and La Herencia Cubana.
    mustluvcigars:
    j0z3r:
    Duder2:
    mustluvcigars:
    j0z3r:
    urbino:

Well he might have been, The Don Carlos is a cameroon, so I thought meant the Don Carlos GOF, but then I clicked his link, and found a post stating that the cameroon is actually a sumatra grown in Cameroon. Learn sumtin new every day here :)
    Joe was right. I was talking about the regular Don Carlos. Had my wires crossed. He's also right about the Graycliff Original (red label). That's a very tasty little smoke bomb of a stogie.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    where is that rascal? I miss his hit and run squirrel killing a**.
    I wish I knew, feebs. He skeedaddled while I was on hiatus.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Isn't the Ashton VSG a sumatra wrapper? Thats my fave
    ironhorse:
    'Tis. Probably my favorite, too.
    ironhorse:
    Indeed it is, Ecuador Sumatra to be precise, and one of my favorite wrappers.

Also, for the original poster, if you like Sumatra wrappers then I'd suggest looking into Cameroon wrappers as well, if memory serves they are the same seed only grown in different locations, so while there are some similarities there are also some nice differences that come from the growing region. One of particular that wows me every time is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, it is, and has been for a while, my number one cigar. Another excellent Cameroon is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon lancero.
    j0z3r:
    ironhorse:

Also, for the original poster, if you like Sumatra wrappers then I'd suggest looking into Cameroon wrappers as well, if memory serves they are the same seed only grown in different locations, so while there are some similarities there are also some nice differences that come from the growing region. One of particular that wows me every time is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, it is, and has been for a while, my number one cigar. Another excellent Cameroon is the La Flor Dominicana Cameroon lancero.
    Or even the Don Carlos. :)
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    ironhorse:

Or even the Don Carlos. :)
    Indeed!
    Thank you again guys! Its great to be able to post a question in these forums and get such fast and information filled responses. It doesn't matter if you've smoked 10 or 10,000, no matter what kind of question you have on cigars, it seems like someone here can answer it.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Cmon guys----no love for the R.P. Edge Sumatra????
    Vulchor:

Man dude that cigar f'd me up.... was tasty though.

Vulchor:
    I'm not a huge RP man. If I was gonna pick one, I'd probably go with the Vintage 1992.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

lol, RP just doesn't do it for me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Vulchor:
    I'm not a huge RP man. If I was gonna pick one, I'd probably go with the Vintage 1992.
    id go with the 90...
    but im with ya on the RP thing. never impressed me.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

You mean the RP Renaissance?? ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Vulchor:
    I'd probably do the OWR or Decade torpedo

"Long ashes my friends."

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    God, I wish they still made that smoke. That was to me the best offering they had in a good line, but sadly did not last long.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

I'd recommend the RP Renaissance. If my memory serves me correctly, the Ren is the old RP Vintage '92 blend only wrapped in a Sumatra wrapper. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

bacon.jay:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Vulchor:

I'd recommend the RP Renaissance. If my memory serves me correctly, the Ren is the old RP Vintage '92 blend only wrapped in a Sumatra wrapper. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

OMG you've just oped this can of worms.... LINK