Home General Discussion

stogie favorites?

I'd like to know about your favs or everyday stick. Im still kinda new and have tried many different kinds there were some i really liked and there were some that made my stomach turn. But the ones I liked made up for those..So whats your norm? or do you even have one..I havent really found one that made me say wow!! so im tring them all i guess..I think im gunna stick w/ mild-medium or medium to keep from turning GREEN its not really my color...

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    anything 5 vegas. gotta love those guys.

i like more full bodied cigars so im a big camacho fan anda big gurkha fan as well. I really try and stay away from "everyday" cigars. I like to smoke something different. what is closest to "everyday" cigars for me are cigars that are always in my humidor.

5 vegas series A
    Gurkha regent
    arturo fuente chatau fuente (sorry i cant spell)
    sancho panza double maduro (and sometime the extra fuerte)
    Camacho Havanna series.
    Rocky Patel The Edge Corojo (in the topedo ONLY for some reason i like this better in the torp than the toro)

..... i think thats about it. everything else is what looks new or good when im shopping.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I'm like Kuzi, I don't really have an everyday cigar either because I like to mix it up a little and also because so far, I tend to gravitate towards the higher end sticks. With that said, I do keep some in my humi that are favorites so I make sure I keep a few of them on hand. Here is my list.

Almost anything Gurkha (right now, I have regents, legends, a centurian, a sherpa and a few others)
    Pryme by Alec Bradley
    CAO VR
    and some Camacho 1962 PE
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'm still trying everything, but my favorites so far:

Camacho 1962
    Onyx Reserve
    Playboy (Altadis, not Don Diego)
    Rocky Patel Vintage 1992
    5 Vegas Gold
    My local shop House Blend Dominican
    Cigar.com Cuban Label
    Cusano Corojo Vintage 1997
    dutyje:
    Cusano Corojo Vintage 1997
    that IS a great cigar. ...but far from everyday for me.

I smoke one a year.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246

kuzi16:

i like more full bodied cigars so im a big camacho fan anda big gurkha fan as well. I really try and stay away from "everyday" cigars. I like to smoke something different. what is closest to "everyday" cigars for me are cigars that are always in my humidor.

5 vegas series A
    Gurkha regent
    Camacho Havanna series.
    Rocky Patel The Edge Corojo (in the topedo ONLY for some reason i like this better in the torp than the toro)

..... i think thats about it. everything else is what looks new or good when im shopping.

I'll back up the vegas series A suggestion.  Thats a killer stick.  Smoking one of those i feel in my element, like I could win every hand of poker I played. (Probably the fumes from that one putting me in the clouds).

As for the regent, i had one today matter of fact, its definately a flavorful stick; however, it doesnt really sit in a special place in my mind...by that i mean to say, there didnt seem to be anything extrordinary about it, but, its a cigar you wouldnt refuse either by any means.

Fuente double chateau - There definately is something pleasant about that stick.  Its definately spicy and has a little kick to back it up, if you're a smooth and mild person you probably wouldnt go for it.  But yeah, thats just a good old fallback stick that doesnt let you down, good for lazy days in hot weather.

Cant comment on the rest

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Yeah, I had two of the "A"'s today. It was good. With all the killer prices you can get on the Friday specials and other combo deals, I don't find any real need to smoke anything but good quality sticks. And like the others, I like to change it up daily.
    Vidarien:

kuzi16:

5 vegas series A
    Gurkha regent
    Camacho Havanna series.

I'll back up the vegas series A suggestion.  Thats a killer stick.  Smoking one of those i feel in my element, like I could win every hand of poker I played. (Probably the fumes from that one putting me in the clouds).

As for the regent, i had one today matter of fact, its definately a flavorful stick; however, it doesnt really sit in a special place in my mind...by that i mean to say, there didnt seem to be anything extrordinary about it, but, its a cigar you wouldnt refuse either by any means.

Fuente double chateau - There definately is something pleasant about that stick.  Its definately spicy and has a little kick to back it up, if you're a mild person you probably wouldnt go for it.  But yeah, thats just a good old fallback stick that doesnt let you down, good for lazy days in hot weather.

Cant comment on the rest

if you like the 5 vegas series A then check out the Partagas Black. its like a series A but with the volume turned up.
    the Chateau Feuente is the "king 'b'" size. fo some reason that blend does the best for me as that shape.

the Sancho Panza is INEXPENSIVE. i like em. good flavor great price. at times i have has a few construction issues. but if you like a maduro, get em.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I like anything Gurkha, Rocky Patel, Arturo Fuente, Carlos Torano, 5 Vegas and Oliva and just about anything else that looks good. Your best bet is to buy a lot of samplers and get an idea what you like and from there buy some more samplers and find some others you like. I'm still new to smoking cigars (I've been smoking for about a year and a half) and I am still buying all sorts of different cigars and finding what I like best. I think it would be boring to smoke the same cigar all the time. Try different sticks and smoke what you like. I started off enjoying more mild-medium cigars and now I love medium-full smokes.
    Big Dean:
    I'm still new to smoking cigars (I've been smoking for about a year and a half)
    nice. Im a beginner of 3 years or so.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I find I favor most anything Fuente, but especially the Hemingway and Don Carlos. Those 2 aren't exactly "everyday," though.

Lotsa good suggestions already out there for everyday'ers: the Sancho Panza Double Maduro, the Gurkha Sherpa, the 5 Vegas, the Onyx Reserve. I'll add the Nestor Reserve Maduro, which is a ridiculously good buy if you like maduros. The Oliva line features several excellent buys, as does Cusano.

You might also look at Oliva's designated "value" brand -- Flor de Oliva. They're crazy cheap, and if they're anywhere near as good as the regular Olivas, an outrageous bargain. (I haven't tried them yet, but I'm eager to.)
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've bought a box of Sancho Panza's Double Maduro and right out of the box these things are pretty good, and they are young right now, but tasty

Otherwise for a full-on powerhouse that has a good flavor but not the most complex is Rocky Patel Edge

and for a really good stick I like the Punch Double Corona for price and flavor
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm very picky so my list isn't too long. Most of my favs have aleady been spoken of..

Gurkha Grand Reserve
    5 Vegas
    Chateau
    Graycliff Espresso
    Kahlula Robusto
    Fuente OpusX
    Fuente Hemmingway

I am wanting to try CAO Black, heared it's a good one.

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I am wanting to try CAO Black, heared it's a good one.
    You have heard correctly.

Some of my faves include the CAO Black VR, CAO MX2, Nub Cameroon, Sol Cubano Sumatra, anything Tatuaje especially the Cojonus, anything 601 especially the Red.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Some good picks here. Just about anything from CAO I have enjoyed, especially the VR's. 5 Vegas is another never-miss choice. My current fave is the Padilla Obsidian, just picked up a box since they're not being made anymore. The Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic makes my top five as well.
  • Similar tastes to zoom

although the DPG Cuban Classic on at the top of my list but the Obsidian is in the top five. I to just bought a box of them. Anything Oliva has been good to me as well.