Home General Discussion

Insurance?

Just a random, somewhat related question I've been wondering on. Who here claims themselves as a smoker in terms of insurance? Or @ the Dr.'s office?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i do.

i have health, life, and disability.
    My father-in-law (who is also a cigar smoker) sells said insurance. he hooked me up with a company that views cigar smoking as more or less ok. when you go in for your physical you need to abstain from cigas for up to 3 weeks. You will be given a urine test. they way they work it is if they find nicotine in your system when you are given the physical (they call it a "fasting physical") then they know that you cannot help yourself and are therefore an addict.

some look at it differently than others. some places are all or none. Ask your insurance agent. (especially if they deal with several brands) usually they can help you save a few.

for me it doesnt impact my price at all.

of course i think that they MAY think i smoke less than i do... but there is no way to prove that.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'll be interested in the answers to this one, too. Having just started smoking stogies again in the last few months, I haven't updated my insurance and haven't decided if I should. I'm certainly not a smoker in the way a cigarette smoker is, but at the same time, I don't want to have a health problem and see my insurance claim denied because I hadn't reported that I was a "smoker."
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I thought you were going to ask about insuring your cigar collection. My agent turned down my application, as my collection has a history of being destroyed in a series of small fires.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'm not smoking as much as I want to... (been like three weeks or sumpin'!) but I won't let them know about cigars...

Screw 'em
  • My biggest concern is the same as Urbi's as well as the fact that with Insurance thru work I have a $600 discount for "Not using Tobacco" I haven't updated and I am SERIOUSLY debating whether or not I want to.
  • zoom6zoom:
    I thought you were going to ask about insuring your cigar collection. My agent turned down my application, as my collection has a history of being destroyed in a series of small fires.
    I knew a comment like this was coming, but it is still funny Big Smile [:D]
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I only started smoking a few months ago again. I remember when I was a cigarrette smoker that my insurance (life) was only something like 8 or 9 dollars more then when I quit and phoned my insurance to have them adjust my rates. Now going from "non-smoker" to "smoker" may not have the same very small difference.

I believe it is like gas prices they move much quicker in one direction then they do the other. I will be contacting my agent soon ( :) ) to let them know of my new change in "lifestyle' as they put it.