Home General Discussion

I'm new. Cigar suggestions?

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Hey, guys.  My first name is Wayne.  I've picked up smoking cigars about a month ago and I was actually surprised that there was a term for fellow cigar smokers (Brotherhood of the Leaf).  It seems that a lot of the people on these forums are really nice and a lot are experienced.  I was wondering if people could give me some cigar suggestions.  I've started out with A.J. Fernandez's Dirty Dozen and so far, I like what I got.

Anyone got some suggestions for certain cigars that I should try out?  Thanks for your time in advance, guys.

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Keep looking at the ccom samplers. You will find something you like or a least a type you will like. You will also find that the people here are very helpful and friendly.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Yeah try different brand samplers...

These are just a few that I recommend

Oh and welcome

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Hey, guys.  My first name is Wayne.  I've picked up smoking cigars about a month ago and I was actually surprised that there was a term for fellow cigar smokers (Brotherhood of the Leaf).  It seems that a lot of the people on these forums are really nice and a lot are experienced.  I was wondering if people could give me some cigar suggestions.  I've started out with A.J. Fernandez's Dirty Dozen and so far, I like what I got.

Anyone got some suggestions for certain cigars that I should try out?  Thanks for your time in advance, guys.
    Hello Wayne, welcome to your next addiction after cigars...these boards. I really like the aj fernandez blends myself. I don't really know what you are looking for, but if you can pick out like 4 favorite cigars out of your dirty dozen, that would they be? That might help everyone narrow down what you prefer and what everyone might recommend from that. I really like the AJ fernandez MOW ruination, diesel, and mow figurado. I also really like padilla dominus, the cu avana intenso, and the graycliff g2 turbo.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I say this to everyone looking to try new cigars and expand their horizons: Look into Perdomo, they have a lot of blends that are pretty beginner friendly and are a good, inexpensive way to introduce your palate to new things. 5 Vegas makes some solid cigars as well for a very reasonable price.
  • docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    Welcome aboard Wayne. I tend to stay on the mild side. I like the Rocky Patel Connecticut, (today's daily deal) and the Nub by Oliva. Also agree with the suggestion about Perdomo and 5 Vegas. (Liked your bio)
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    wwhwang:

Hello Wayne, welcome to your next addiction after cigars...these boards. I really like the aj fernandez blends myself. I don't really know what you are looking for, but if you can pick out like 4 favorite cigars out of your dirty dozen, that would they be? That might help everyone narrow down what you prefer and what everyone might recommend from that. I really like the AJ fernandez MOW ruination, diesel, and mow figurado. I also really like padilla dominus, the cu avana intenso, and the graycliff g2 turbo.
    I know my palate's not as developed as most people's yet. I've smoked only a few so far, but these are my first impressions (for narrowing down suggestions, as you requested). May give these another go after they've aged a bit more in the humidor and my palate develops.

Man O' War Virtue (my very first one) - Kinda creamy and smoother than most of the others I've tried. I thought I tasted some nuts, but it was a bit faint (palate, maybe?)
    Man O' War - Mocha, cocoa, and a bit of earth at the end, I think. Burned slowly and evenly. Very enjoyable.
    Man O' War Ruination - Tasted great (spice and some chocolate, I think?) and burned very well. I wasn't ready for it, though. I went back to my room buzzed as all hell and felt a bit drunk (even after drinking a liter of water). I'll get around to these again after I've progressed.
    Gurkha Assassin (got it from a battle buddy) - I got mostly spice and maybe a faint hint of chocolate. Wasn't as strong as I imagined it to be, but pleasant. Can't find a local shop that carries it, though. That and cigar.com doesn't seem to have it. I'll get back to this one.

Not Sure:
    Nica Libre - Got mostly pepper and some kind of woody taste. Wasn't bad, but it didn't seem to change flavor much. Smoothed out for the second third of the cigar for me.
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet - Burned very, very well. Smoked about half the cigar before the ash dropped. Not quite sure what the flavor was. I think it was spice and a bit leathery.

Dislike:
    Macanudo (picked it up from a friend) - Very creamy and a bit nutty. Loved the flavor. Might just be a bad stick or the way I was lighting it, but it was only burning half the cigar (even after touching up and relighting the non-burning side). It was like someone took a cleaver and chopped the cigar longways. After about 2 and 1/2 inches of the cigar, I was getting pissed and put it out.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Based off what you suggested, I'd recommend 5 Vegas Gold, Padilla Hybrid, Rocky Patel 1990, Rocky Patel 1992, Oliva Connecticut Reserve and Oliva O, Arturo Fuente Hemingway Line, MAYBE the La Flor Dominicana Air Bender, CAO Italia, La Aurora Barrel Aged, Quintero Maduro...I'm not much of a mild-medium smoker myself but those are all mild or medium cigars that come to mind that I've really enjoyed.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Welcome aboard!  Get yourself a fat humi and be ready to fill it.  Smile [:)]  I would have to agree with Stephen and YankeeMan on what was posted.  The DD is a great place to start. You can find a wealth of knowledge here so feel free to ask until your hearts content. 
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Call Tim, or Andy, or Jeff, or anyone else at CCom, tell them what you just told us, and ask them what they can put together for you!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Everything AJ is GREAT (ive had most), everything that Ive had by DPG is Great! Then try a Ghurka and a Rocky - You are only allowed to like 1 - Just kidding..... I agree, get samplers and dial in your flavor profile and you will find out what you like.
    Thanks for all the help, guys. Anyone have Gurkha Assassins or Gurkha Genghis Khans? My battle buddy got me an Assassin and I rather liked it, but I can't seem to find it on cigar.com or any local stores. I found some Gurkha Vintage Shaggy and Gurkha Nautilus cigars (and they don't seem to be found on a lot of sites), but I haven't heard too much about them. The Genghis Khans seem really interesting, but I can't find them anywhere. I bought a Nub Cameroon, Oliva V, Oliva O, My Father by DPG, and H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon. They seem really interesting, got high ratings, and the owner of the local shop said they were really good. I also have another battle buddy recommend some Romeo and Julietas. Any opinions about those or any others?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Try calling Ccom.
    They should be able to get you some cool smokes.

• ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Posts: 283
    Welcome, I'd have to agree with an earlier post... In my opinion, Perdomo makes some excellent sticks that are fairly inexpensive (3-6 bucks per stick)...I have had great expierence with Perdomo Lot 23, Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniv. Maduro, Perdomo Reserve Limited Oscuro, and Perdomo 2... I should add that I enjoy slight toasty/nutty/espresso/chocolate flavors....All these sticks hit those flavors on the head for me...
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    wwhwang:
    Thanks for all the help, guys. Anyone have Gurkha Assassins or Gurkha Genghis Khans? My battle buddy got me an Assassin and I rather liked it, but I can't seem to find it on cigar.com or any local stores. I found some Gurkha Vintage Shaggy and Gurkha Nautilus cigars (and they don't seem to be found on a lot of sites), but I haven't heard too much about them. The Genghis Khans seem really interesting, but I can't find them anywhere. I bought a Nub Cameroon, Oliva V, Oliva O, My Father by DPG, and H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon. They seem really interesting, got high ratings, and the owner of the local shop said they were really good. I also have another battle buddy recommend some Romeo and Julietas. Any opinions about those or any others?
    Not a huge fan of Gurkha, but the Oliva V is a strong cigar, but delicious. The Oliva O is a great cigar for you ATM, and the My Father is fantastic as well. I personally love the H. Upman Vintage Cameroon, I got some amazing flavors out of that one. Good choices, make sure you eat before you smoke the V.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143

Keep sampling and learn as much as you can about what you like! You might find after a while you like certain wrappers (Connecticut, Cameroon), countries (Nicaragua, Dominican, mixed), blenders (Fernandez, DPG), brands (Perdomo, Oliva), I could go on and on. The best advice I can give is to have fun with it!

I do like Romeo y Julieta (Dominican, that is--haven't had the Cuban version). RyJ 1875 is a pretty good variety, and RyJ Reserva Real is one of my absolute favorites! Same with the Nub Cameroon.

From one forum nOOb to another, welcome!

• MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I'm gonna go ahead and reccomend getting the house blend sampler:

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/privatelabel.asp?brand=449

Theyre all well constructed cigars. It will introduce you to many different wrappers and flavors so you can figure out what you like.

I'd also reccomend joining CCOM's Cigar of the Month club. You'll get to try a wide variety of great sticks.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Keep sampling the daily deals you will learn quickly what your favorites are. I have been smoking for many years and still find new labels to try all the time. That is one of the great things about this passion, the variety is endless and new blends come along every year
    stephen_hannibal:
    Try calling Ccom.
    They should be able to get you some cool smokes.

Just had a little chat with Kelly from Ccom. Apparently, if it's not on the list, they don't have it. She says that they used to have Gurkha Genghis Khans a long time ago (which is surprising, since they only make 300 boxes a year) and they've never carried Gurkha Assassins. Ah well. I'll just wait around, I guess. Most of the other sites only sell them in boxes, and Ccom seems to be adding new cigars weekly (though I'm curious as to why they added Backwoods).
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Try a Man O' War Virtue, Perdomo 10th Anniv. Champgane, Rockey Patel Connecticut or a Cohiba Red Dot (those are my favs anyway)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    wwhwang:
    (though I'm curious as to why they added Backwoods).
    Well, because people smoke them, plain and simple. At least they don't sell Black & Milds. :)
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Second the CCOM House Blend sampler. Easy affordable way to find out what body and flavor types are to your liking.
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    Looks like you're getting some good suggestions already! I say you can't go wrong on the ccom sampler too. Gives you a good feel for what wrappers you enjoy. Brazil and Corojo are my favs from the lot. They come from AJ and DPG respectively. I would also recommend the Nub line - Maduros are great IMHO, the Habano is also very good, and the Connie is one of the few connies I like. The 5V line up also has some great stuff to try.

As mentioned welcome to the boards! I suggest doing a search in the ratings and reviews as you enjoy a particular smoke for the first time. It gives you some idea what others thought...
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Nothing more I could add, but wanted to say welcome.
    By the way, I bought a Bolivar Davinci Exhibicion C from Ccom a while back. I noticed that there aren't any reviews for it. Is it because it's not any good or no one's smoked it yet?
  • poypoykingpoypoyking Posts: 55
    Everyone else gave great advice, welcome to the forums Wayne!
    Thanks for welcoming me, everyone. I just decided to go with some of the advice I got on here (can't follow everyone's. I don't make that much in the Army :P). I just bought a Diesel, 2 Gurkha Turks, 2 RP Summer Collection 2008, 2 RP Royal Vintage, an Oliva Connie Reserve, 2 5 Vegas Golds, and 2 Padilla Hybrids.

I feel so dirty buying so much when I'm supposed to be saving for my wedding -_- Now, I need a bigger humidor and I can't afford it lol. I feel like a kid in a candy store here. I wanna try everything, but I can't smoke it all that fast, and I can't afford everything :P
  • I got a Gurkha Turk from ccom a while back in the sale portion of the website... Smoked it 2 weeks ago while on vacation in Mexico and LOVED it! Best 4 bucks ive ever spent!