Home General Discussion

Evacuated

I haven't been able to get online, or do much of anything else for the last couple days. I already had a flight booked out of New Orleans for the holiday weekend, so I got lucky on not having to sit in traffic for days, but I had less time to get things ready before I left.

When I left town it was likely, but not certain, that a mandatory evacuation would be ordered (now ordered for 12 noon). I had to assume and prepare for the worst. I was more concerned about looters than flooding. If my stuff gets wet I'll be pissed, but if someone steals my guns and uses one in a crime... thats a whole different story. So I packed up all of my guns and stored them in a secure facility. All my cigars are packed into pelican cases with humidity beads and stashed in my office at work. Everything I couldn't get out is upstairs on shelves.

I'm supposed to fly back Monday night, but it looks like I'll be spending a bit more time in California.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    good luck. stay safe when you get back in town. PM sent.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Yes. All of that. Here's hoping you're not displaced too long.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Here's to hoping you for the best... May your stoags be good and your house not get the worst blow-job it's seen since that Wet-Dry Vac incident when you were 12
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Good Luck bro...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Here's to hoping you for the best... May your stoags be good and your house not get the worst blow-job it's seen since that Wet-Dry Vac incident when you were 12
    Hmmmmm. Lets blame that last comment on a 12 pack of Miller Light..
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    Good luck and know how you feel about the gun issue...
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Good luck Scrambler. I will keep you and your home in my thoughts. I can sympathize with you about the guns and gars though. I am the same way with those 2 things and my SCUBA gear, but at least the SCUBA gear is made to get wet.
  • idrivea9idrivea9 Posts: 44
    I feel for you man, lets hope this one blows by with little damage! We are praying for you and the rest of the area! Brian
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you came through ok Scram. But please let us all know.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    best of luck
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I hope everything is okay when you get back. It's bad enough of weather damage but looters are down right lower than low.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    By all indications, we made it through this one. Airport is still closed until at least tomorrow. I'm torn between trying to get back as soon as the airport opens and hanging out here in California 'til the weekend.

It seems the gov't is doing a good job of preventing looting, but its angering the resident that aren't being allowed back home. I fear that the evacuation and near miss will desensitize people, and next time many more will stay behind.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    By all indications, we made it through this one. Airport is still closed until at least tomorrow. I'm torn between trying to get back as soon as the airport opens and hanging out here in California 'til the weekend.

It seems the gov't is doing a good job of preventing looting, but its angering the resident that aren't being allowed back home. I fear that the evacuation and near miss will desensitize people, and next time many more will stay behind.
    My vote goes with hang out in California. I heard there were something like 7000 National Guard Troops sent to N.O.La. So that may make the area safer, but far more hectic. Are there curfews, electricity, basic needs like food available. Are the roads passable. I'd make a few calls before I head back.
    A friend of mine just drove back into Slidell today. They had power and everything, said she was gonna try to head into NOLA.
    The airline had booked me on a flight for tomorrow that I was probably going to reschedule, but its already been cancelled. I'll wait to see when they rebook me, then decide if I want to keep that flight.
    Made it home tonight. A lot of trees down in the area, the gate I park my motorcycle behind is a bit tweaked, and my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker got all beat to hell and scattered across the yard, but that seems to be the extent of the impact here.

I took advantage of the extra time in Cali to make a second trip to Tijuana. I'll just say that some damn good cigars can be found there.

Now I just hope Ike stays away.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear things weren't that bad. Could have been a lot worse.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Happy to hear that you came through it OK. I bet its good to be home.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Welcome home, Scram. Glad to hear it wasn't worse. Ike sure looks like a mean one.
    Damn right in time for ike. I hope that one misses you guys, I heard today it will be at least a 3 by landfall possibly a 4 or 5.