Home Cigar 101

Lighting Cigars 101

CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
I have heard so many people that have so many different ways of lighting a cigar.
I thought I'd put down what I do (mostly)
I say mostly, because in my car driving or outdoors I put my flame to a cigar & suck!
But given the time to sit and do it right:
First I try and feel the cigar, rolling it softly in my fingers.
I look for hard spots, possible plugs.
I will then clip the end, always drawing on the cigar before I light it.
If it does not draw I use a poker and try to save it.
If I can draw air through the cigar I will then go to lighting the cigar.
First (with my torch lighter) I roast the end of the cigar.
Never drawing air, just hold it in front of me and use the flame to roast the end of the cigar till it looks like it is going.
I then blow out thre the cigar, trying to drive and smoke from the lighting out of the cigar.
I look for a even light, I will blow on the cherry and see if I missed.
If I have a little more flame and blow out again.
At this point I will draw smoke from the cigar.
A soft gentle draw, not a puff puff puff.
If I do it right then it is off to an easy sit back and smoke.
Why blow out?
I was taught that the lighting of the cigar can give a harsh smoke.
So by blowing out I do not let the smoke come through the stick.
I have heard a lot of methods & only offer up what I myself use.
Cedar strips, bic lighters, wood matches & ect.
Wondering if this is your method????
& I hope I have helped you to enjoy your cigars a little more.
Some times the ritual de Habitual is half the fun!
Enjoy!
CC

(another small advise I will share.
When heading out for the evening,
I will clip my cigar and check the draw.
I have had to many moments out when my cigar was plugged and ruined my smoking moment.)

(Also it good to blow the smoke out of the cigar every now and again to clear the cigar - this will often keep the cigar sweeter!)

Comments

• EJS54EJS54 Posts: 12
    CastleCrest:
    I have heard so many people that have so many different ways of lighting a cigar.

Would any of those include attempting to light and draw a cigar without cutting it first? When my boss lit his own ( I usually did it for him) for the first time I dont think he knew about this step.

--Eric
  • Scott319Scott319 Posts: 2

It is funny you bring up Bosses. My Boss, NEVER clips the end of the cigar before lighting. He spends his time and toasts the foot of the cigar until it is a cherry red, always blowing on the end.

It is his opinion that if the end is cut, the harsh tastes and odor have a direct route up the length of the stick.

After the foot is a perfect red circle, he clips the cap and takes a deep draw, and volumes of smoke immediately appear.

It is a longer time to light a cigar, but he always said a premium cigar should never be rushed.

• That's exactly how I light my cigars...when I'm at my cousin's, I use matches, otherwise I use a Colibri.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    "It is his opinion that if the end is cut, the harsh tastes and odor have a direct route up the length of the stick." I guess the theory is sound, but I am skeptical as to whether it actually makes a difference.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott319:

It is funny you bring up Bosses. My Boss, NEVER clips the end of the cigar before lighting. He spends his time and toasts the foot of the cigar until it is a cherry red, always blowing on the end.

It is his opinion that if the end is cut, the harsh tastes and odor have a direct route up the length of the stick.

After the foot is a perfect red circle, he clips the cap and takes a deep draw, and volumes of smoke immediately appear.

It is a longer time to light a cigar, but he always said a premium cigar should never be rushed.

he has the last part right. in my opinion, if you light the cigar right there will be no harsh tastes and odors to travel up the stick.  Its never been a problem with me.
  • handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    I generally do the exact same as you CC......I live in the country so when im driving I still roast the end of the cigar.....just have to watch for deer
  • shootg32shootg32 Posts: 11
    Good smoking tips in this post. I'm gonna give them a shot on the next one I light up....
    when i first started i was amazed how much a "proper" light helped.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    yea lighting is a major factor. Another pointer, don't let the flame touch the cigar keep it just a hint off the tobacco.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    madurofan:
    yea lighting is a major factor. Another pointer, don't let the flame touch the cigar keep it just a hint off the tobacco.
    I'll second that. I've screwed up and torched a few, especially when I'm stuck with a lighter that doesn't want to work. Luckily it didn't do too much to diminish the cigar.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I get my worst lights when I try to rush the job. That's why I prefer to use a natural style flame as opposed to a torch, I feel that I get a better light that way even though it may take twice as long because I really take my time and focus on an even light. Right and wrong accounts for about 30%, preference accounts for the rest in my opinion.
    interesting.
    I like the torch because i can direct the flame to exactly where it needs to be. that and when you lend it out to a cigarette smoker they almost always dont know quite what to do with it...

ive seen some eyebrows get scoarched
    j0z3r:
    I get my worst lights when I try to rush the job. That's why I prefer to use a natural style flame as opposed to a torch, I feel that I get a better light that way even though it may take twice as long because I really take my time and focus on an even light. Right and wrong accounts for about 30%, preference accounts for the rest in my opinion.
    I've been hearing this more and more lately. A buddy told me about a guy he knows that lights his cigar with nothing but a natural flame BUT he uses a torch for corrective lights. I know its mostly preference but I'm thinking about experimenting. I've always used a torch bc I smoke outside most of the time so I'll see how it goes.
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    I've been hearing this more and more lately. A buddy told me about a guy he knows that lights his cigar with nothing but a natural flame BUT he uses a torch for corrective lights. I know its mostly preference but I'm thinking about experimenting. I've always used a torch bc I smoke outside most of the time so I'll see how it goes.
    That's me maddy, I use a natural flame for lights and a torch for correction, I think its a great combo and it works well for me, and my lighter is a dual purpose type, with a natural flame and a torch flame.
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    That's me maddy, I use a natural flame for lights and a torch for correction, I think its a great combo and it works well for me, and my lighter is a dual purpose type, with a natural flame and a torch flame.
    Thats bad @ss where did you get such a lighter? who is it made by? How much? I WANT ONE.
    another soft flame that im ok with is spanish cedar matches. i REALLLLLLY wanna try that but i fear that itll be a giant pain in the butt and ill just end up pullin out the xikar to finish gettin it lit.
    I've used them, lit more of my finger than the cigar. Pulled out the Colibri(back then I was still using that piece of crap) and finished the light. Matches just all burn to quickly for me. I like taking my time and slowly turning the cigar. With a match all thats going through my head is HURRY HURRY YOU'RE GONNA BURN YOURSELF!!! OW, SH*T, TOO LATE.
    nice...
    i thought that would happen. ill stick to my torch lighter.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I tried just using a Bic for a while when I started smoking cigars again, mostly because I didn't want to spring for a torch lighter. It just doesn't work very well outside. If there's any breeze at all, you can't keep anything like a consistent amount of heat going to the cigar -- if you can keep the lighter burning at all.
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    Thats bad @ss where did you get such a lighter? who is it made by? How much? I WANT ONE.
    Its a kinda inexpensive lighter, a brand called Regal. Its a decent enough lighter though and it does what I want it to do. Here's a Link to a pic of both modes in action. And here's One to the lighter itself. Runs for about $35.

I think it feels better in the hand also than the torches I own.
  • gelb13gelb13 Posts: 4
    J03zr, thank you for sharing your lighter with us. I thought it was so cool that I just ordered one from 2nd Street-cigars.com. Thanks again!
    not a problem gelb, and that's the place I got mine from, I just couldn't remember it when I posted. I have the Red one, which did you go for?
  • j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    That's a pretty slick lighter. I saw a Xikar (the Exodus) that used a natural style flame, but I think it only did the natural. For the same reasons others mentioned, though, I stick with a jet/torch flame... I like the straight flame at any angle and regardless of wind.
  • gelb13gelb13 Posts: 4
    Hey, small world; I also got the red one.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    The Dupont Extend is the way to go. The good guys at the old forum bought me one when I was going through the deeeevorce a few years back. That thing is a workhorse, probably lit over 1000 cigars to date.
  • So let me get this straight. One way to do it is: You burn around the end of the cigar before you cut it until it's evenly red. Then you blow it out. Then you cut it and light it again? Does that seem right or am I missing something? I'm new to this whole cigar thing and I'd like to get it right from the start and avoid any bad habits lol
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    ChrisCookz:
    I'm new to this whole cigar thing and I'd like to get it right from the start and avoid any bad habits
    Hey, thanks for the new signature line!!
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    ChrisCookz:
    So let me get this straight. One way to do it is: You burn around the end of the cigar before you cut it until it's evenly red. Then you blow it out. Then you cut it and light it again? Does that seem right or am I missing something? I'm new to this whole cigar thing and I'd like to get it right from the start and avoid any bad habits lol
    Let me tell you what I do and I think most on here will agree that it works well and is more than likely exactly, or close to what they do...

I don't put much stock in the "don't cut it before lighting it" crap... Besides, if the draw is screwed up you wanna know if before hand so you can fix it before you get it lit... So just cut the cigar... Hopefully you know how to do that, but in a worse case scenario if you're not sure for a standard cigar just put the cutter flat on the table, place then end of the cigar in the cutter so that it also rest on the table, then snip... One quick meaningful motion... Using a table like this will make sure you don't take off too much until you get used to the idea of how much should come off... The caps of most cigars will have 3 distinct "lines" where the cap is... It's around the middle of these lines that you wanna cut (assuming a guillitine cut)...

As for lighting... Light the lighter and then bring the cigar down to it (note that the cigar is NOT in your mouth at this point... It's turned around so you can see the end you're lighting and practically straight up and down, or at least at about a 45 degree angle)...

Do NOT let the flame actually touch the cigar... Just let the heat coming off go up... You can get really close, just don't let the flame actually touch... Just keep passing the heat all around the end of the cigar... It'll first get nice and toasty and then it'll actually start to "glow"...

The important part here is just to make sure it's all even... Once it's "glowing" nice and evenly, place the opposite end (of course!) in your mouth and blow outwards... This will clear any of the "light up" smoke from it and keep it from contaminating the rest of the tobacco...

After blowing out and clearing, then you can give it a couple of good puffs and then check the end to make sure it's still burning evenly... It should be.... If not, touch up and repeat....
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I've been known to use a very large soft flame.... the front burner on the kitchen range. Don't have to worry about burning my fingers with the match, just hold it over a few inches and wait for the heat to do the job.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Hey Shirley -

Rather than going vertical with the cigar, try keeping your torch lighter and your cigar in a purely horizontal position. It makes it easier to inspect the foot of the cigar as it's toasting, and you're less likely to scorch yourself or the wrapper. At least, that's my experience.