Home General Discussion

Health

I know that this topic has come up on here before but I will revisit anyway.  We all know that smoking can cause health problems but we chose to enjoy cigars anyway (some more than others).  It seems like when you look around the cigar industry there are a lot of old, old guys smoking that seem to be fine.  Has anyone here ever known a cigar smoker that has actually had any serious health problems due to cigars?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    bobd:
    I know that this topic has come up on here before but I will revisit anyway.  We all know that smoking can cause health problems but we chose to enjoy cigars anyway (some more than others).  It seems like when you look around the cigar industry there are a lot of old, old guys smoking that seem to be fine.  Has anyone here ever known a cigar smoker that has actually had any serious health problems due to cigars?
    Sigmund Freud had mouth cancer and quite a few tumors around the jaw, but then again, he smoked 18 to 20 cigars a day.
  • bobdbobd Posts: 71
    yes i did know about him, and i think you are right on the money- moderation is key. And i think he smoked up to 40 sometimes.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I think he only smoked that much because he had to use nicotine anyways. Before Freud got into psychology, he was a doctor. And as a doctor, he was researching the effects of cocaine (because cocaine was seen as a wonder drug for pain and fatigue) and used it on himself. And...voila. A cocaine addict that needed a replacement once he found out that cocaine did more harm than good as a medicine.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    There is a chane of mouth and stomach cancer and lung if your crazy enough to inhale but you need to be smoking alot of cigars no where near as bad as cigarettes or chew but we would have to be ignorant to think that the continual ingestion of known carcinogens is not some what damaging to our systems
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I accept that there will be an inherent risk to my health by smoking cigars, regardless of how big that risk is. I choose to continue for a number of reasons, mainly because I enjoy cigars quite a bit and they allow me to relax and take a load off in a way nothing else does, my other main reason is that no matter how invincible we sometimes think we are, life is fleeting, and a life spent not enjoying every second is a life wasted in my opinion. So if cigars knock 5 years off my life, and I'm not saying they will, I figure the enjoyment I've gotten to that point will be worth it...besides, those are the **** years anyway. :)
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I accept that there will be an inherent risk to my health by smoking cigars, regardless of how big that risk is. I choose to continue for a number of reasons, mainly because I enjoy cigars quite a bit and they allow me to relax and take a load off in a way nothing else does, my other main reason is that no matter how invincible we sometimes think we are, life is fleeting, and a life spent not enjoying every second is a life wasted in my opinion. So if cigars knock 5 years off my life, and I'm not saying they will, I figure the enjoyment I've gotten to that point will be worth it...besides, those are the **** years anyway. :)

Lol......... Well said Jozer.