Home Cigar 101

How to pronounce .....

rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
I was just sitting here and a thought occurred to me. Since I was practically introduced to cigars online and make all my purchases online, there are several terms that I've found myself mispronouncing and later learned how to pronounce it correctly... Hell, I'm sure there's still a LOT of things I still don't pronounce correctly...

The idea of this post and hopefully those that follow, will be to help newbies that may not know how to pronounce certain cigar lingo correctly be able to do so... If nothing else it should help avoid any embarrassment when phoning in an order! LOL

Here's a few to get the ball rolling... I'll try to add more as I think of them, and hopefully others will contribute as well....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Julieta (as in Romeo y Julieta) : hoo-lee-eh-tah

y (as in above Romeo y Julieta) : ee

Corojo : core-row-ho

Tatuaje : tah-to-ah-heh

CAO : see-a-oh

Avo : ah-vo

Criollo : cree-oy-yo

Anejo : ahn-yay-ho

Padron : pa-drone

Xikar : zy-car

Cohiba : ko-e-ba

Exquisitos : ex-key-see-tos

Robusto : row-boost-oh

Illusione : ill-luh-see-own-ay

Punch : Poon-ch

Davidoff : sh-muck

Padilla : pa-dee-ah

Torano : tor-ahn-yo

100 Anos : see-en ahn-yos

5 Vegas : sink-oh vay-gahs

Fuente : Foo-en-tay

Pepin : pe-peen
----------------------------------

Well that's enough to get started I guess... ;)

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    Tatuaje : tah-too-ah-hey
    Sorry to correct you right of the bat but its actually "tah-too-wah-he"
    common misconception though but Pete Johnson cleared this up once on another forum

Also another common one

Robusto: row-boost-oh
    also:
    Illusione: ill-luh-zhun-ay
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Actually I guess that's my fault for not thinking out the sounding better... I say it exactly like you put it... to me too-ah and too-wah sound the same.. at least when said together... With the lips already in the O position from the end of the too it just seems natural that the transition from ooo to ah includes a w... LOL... but yeah, if it's slowed down it then it could be misspoke... Lemme fix it! ;)
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Good idea, Shirley... I guess I didn't know how to pronounce Xicar. I still have trouble spelling it :)

I studied Spanish in school, so I've gotten most of the pronunciations correct. However, I miss stuff like Illusione and, apparently, Tatuaje. Also, I say hoo-lee-ay-ta.

here's another one: see-gawrs .... as in "hanme wunnadem see-gawrs" ;)
    madurofan:
    Robusto: row-boost-oh
    also:
    Illusione: ill-luh-zhun-ay
    I'll add any additions to my original list to make it easier for newbs to find without weeding through lots of posts....

Also, I change the zhun in Illusione to see-own... Would you agree it sounds better/closer that way? I've never heard a "Z" sound in spanish???
    rusirius:
    madurofan:
    Actually I guess that's my fault for not thinking out the sounding better... I say it exactly like you put it... to me too-ah and too-wah sound the same.. at least when said together... With the lips already in the O position from the end of the too it just seems natural that the transition from ooo to ah includes a w... LOL... but yeah, if it's slowed down it then it could be misspoke... Lemme fix it! ;)
    Actually, let me change it back... Why? Check out the top right here.... Straight from the horses mouth so to speak! It would appear my original spelling (or whatever you want to call it, LOL) was actually right even though I always said it closer to how you put it... ;)
    Sirius the 'wah' or 'ah' was less of my point than the the 'he' versus 'hey'. Interesting that the tatuaje site shows 'hey', when Pete made a point of the fact that its pronounced 'he' not 'hey'.
    madurofan:
    Sirius the 'wah' or 'ah' was less of my point than the the 'he' versus 'hey'. Interesting that the tatuaje site shows 'hey', when Pete made a point of the fact that its pronounced 'he' not 'hey'.
    hrmmm... Very interesting indeed... If you listen to the wav it links to you can definitely hear the hey versus he... Do you remember where the post by Pete was? It would be interesting to dig it up and do a "What gives?!?" ;)
    On another forum I'll try to find it again.
    I've been searching and searching and can't find it maybe it was a podcast.
    madurofan:
    Seeing as how I'm your #1 stalker, I'll dig through your garbage cans tonight after you go to bed to see if I can find any clues... Stick out tongue [:P]
    rusirius:
    madurofan:
    Seeing as how I'm your #1 stalker, I'll dig through your garbage cans tonight after you go to bed to see if I can find any clues... Stick out tongue [:P]
    LMAO
    rusirius:
    Sneaky :)
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    Sneaky :)
    Stolen from another post i saw while trying to find more references to Tatuaje, but I liked it so I borrowed it! ;)
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    CAO is actually pronounced "cow." Little known fact.
    urbino:
    Can you cite a source? The only reason i question it is because I know the letters themselves are the initials of Cano A. Ozgener... Thinking about it that way, Samuel T. Jacksons' initials being STJ would be pronounced ess-tee-jay not see-taj or something like that... ???
    rusirius:
    urbino:
    Can you cite a source?
    Cite a source? What are you, some kind of coastal elite?

I'm a good trader and I say it's "cow" goddamit. Now run right out to several B&Ms -- preferably snooty ones -- and ask them for a Cow Italia or a Cow Soprano and report back to us.
  • CaptCapt Posts: 127 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Say that to Tim Ozgener, and see what he tells you......
    Capt:
    urbino:
    Say that to Tim Ozgener, and see what he tells you......
    I ain't a-feared.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    I'm drunk... is pronounced... "Aasdfhfoehfffffffgh"
    urbino:
    rusirius:
    urbino:
    Can you cite a source?
    Cite a source? What are you, some kind of coastal elite?

I'm a good trader and I say it's "cow" goddamit. Now run right out to several B&Ms -- preferably snooty ones -- and ask them for a Cow Italia or a Cow Soprano and report back to us.
    Okay, I tried this last night... I ran in and said, "I need a **** Cow Soprano right now!"... The guy looked at me a second and then told me Tony wasn't there till mornings... ????
    Funny story ... At the CAO Italia event, the Rep started the night off by saying .. "I'm so and so from "cow"", but the B&M manager couldn't keep a straight face and ended up laughing. So he said its actually C-A-O and went into the name a little.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Funny story ... At the CAO Italia event, the Rep started the night off by saying .. "I'm so and so from "cow"", but the B&M manager couldn't keep a straight face and ended up laughing. So he said its actually C-A-O and went into the name a little.
    Was the sales rep. named Urbino ?
    Yeah, I'm telling ya, that's the REAL name. People laugh because it's just funny, but still the real name. I'm super serial!
    urbino:
    Yeah, I'm telling ya, that's the REAL name. People laugh because it's just funny, but still the real name. I'm super serial!
    Serially psychotic possibly.
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    I'm actually a serial killer... I just unplugged a 232 cable...
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    No fair, dude. People in the Nixon administration went to jail for reading other peoples' psychiatric files, you know.
    rusirius:
    boo
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Gotta love computer humor!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it just dawned on me, my name gets miss pronounced all the time. Kuzi was actually my nickname in high school. Its a shortened version of my last name. Kuz____i. Ironicly the nickname is also a short verson of how not to say my last name... but i digress.

so... you know the gun known as the uzi? like a submachine gun? like Uzi with a K in front.
    It is not like the short for cousin (cuz...) with a hard E at the end. make sence?

by the way: i suck at pronunciation keys so ... yeah...
    kuzi16:
    it just dawned on me, my name gets miss pronounced all the time. Kuzi was actually my nickname in high school. Its a shortened version of my last name. Kuz____i. Ironicly the nickname is also a short verson of how not to say my last name... but i digress.

so... you know the gun known as the uzi? like a submachine gun? like Uzi with a K in front.
    It is not like the short for cousin (cuz...) with a hard E at the end. make sence?

by the way: i suck at pronunciation keys so ... yeah...
    So you're saying its: koo-zee

not: kuh-zee

Perhaps its my familiarity with weapons such as the uzi, but I've always considered it as the first... ;)