Home Cigar 101

'Nuther Temp Question... but COLD

LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
There is a thermoelectric wine fridge at my work that is being discontinued so I may be able to wait and get the display for $50.

The only question is the Top half cools to 65degrees or lower so that's perfect, but the bottom half the warmest it gets is 50degrees...

What is the danger of TOO low of a temp if it isn't dry?

Comments

• StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    I am not sure on this but I think you will have a hard time keeping your humidity up if it is too cold.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If I remember correctly, the only real problem with a lower temp is that the cigar will age slower. Aside from that, I don't think there are any real problems you'd run into as long as your humidity is good.
  • j0z3r:
    If I remember correctly, the only real problem with a lower temp is that the cigar will age slower. Aside from that, I don't think there are any real problems you'd run into as long as your humidity is good.

I'm inclined to agree with jo.  In addition, you should be able to control humidity much easier at a lower temperature.  less water goes a longer way

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    50 isnt even that bad for cigars.

however, you can fix this by doing two things:

1) pus a fan ni there to circulate the air. this will even out the temp a bit.
    B) install your own thermostat. one that will keep the top at 70 and the bottem at 55-60 (id still keep the fan in there)