Home Cigar 101
Options

80% humidity

DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
i keep my humidity at 80 and my temperature at 70 or below i like the higher humidity because my cigars seem fresher i dont worry about the beetles much seeing if your cigar company does their job right i shouldnt have to but like its been said before i do freeze if questionable so what do you guys think? anyone else running this humidity?

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I'd worry about mold
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    idk 80 seems a little high i run my humidor at 70-70 just to b sure i havnt been doing this long enough to really expand and test out different humidity and temp changes. how do u get the humidity or temp higher tho?
  • Options
    i ran 70-70 and my cigars just didnt seem right but once i bumped up that humidity it was perfect id say its not for the aging humidor at all its for the being opened alot your everyday cigar
  • Options
    ya tht would seem right then bcuz the temp would b constantly changing. the problem im having is my cigars keep hardening idk wat to do about that i was told to put sponges in a bag and then put the cigars in another ziplock in the bigger ziplock and leave em for a bit but idk how much help tht does. how do u raise ur humidity tho? do u use beads?
  • Options
    i use beads but i put very little amount of distilled water in small dish and sat inside the bottom of the humidor
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'm with doody.
  • Options
    ooh ok well ill use a toperdor for a little while then cuz im already over flowed in my humis i gotta start smokin them and stop looking at them haha
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    DiasFlak:
    i keep my humidity at 80 and my temperature at 70 or below i like the higher humidity because my cigars seem fresher i dont worry about the beetles much seeing if your cigar company does their job right i shouldnt have to but like its been said before i do freeze if questionable so what do you guys think? anyone else running this humidity?
    80 % humidity seems a bit high to store cigars at, and if mine reached that level I would correct it pretty quickly. Not only with mold issues, but it seems your cigars should have bad draw, and be unwrapping as well. Are you sure of the accuracy of your hygrometer. Do you have a cooler of some sort to keep the temperature below 70. That probably helps as well. Hey, if it works for you, thats really all that matters.
  • Options
    ill test my hygrometer again but! yes i can keep the temp constant it is constant 68
  • Options
    well i had to figure out a way to get the humidity up asap at least for a few hours so i turned on the shower really hot and closed off the bathroom and left the humiors in there and after about 45 minutes i went in and closed the humi for a little while like 20 minutes and then after about 10 i shut the shower off and im leaving the bathroom closed off with the humi closed until tmro
  • Options

BigDan.:
    well i had to figure out a way to get the humidity up asap at least for a few hours so i turned on the shower really hot and closed off the bathroom and left the humiors in there and after about 45 minutes i went in and closed the humi for a little while like 20 minutes and then after about 10 i shut the shower off and im leaving the bathroom closed off with the humi closed until tmro

Your humi is going to be soaked inside, potentially wood warping soaked.  When you put roughly 100 degree 100% RH water vapor in a humidor (which it likely is given you let it run for 45 minutes in a closed atmosphere) and close it up and let temperature fall back to room temp, you're going to get a ridiculous amount of liquid phase water.  Heres hoping im wrong.  For future purposes, i *highly* reccomend you dont perform this action again, if your humidor is still ok.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    few things can be done right when done in a hurry.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Dias, you need to calibrate your hygro there is no way your cigars are smoking better at 80%RH. At that high of an RH the burn wold be terrible and would likely be splitting wrappers and a whole host of other issues. Not to mention you're risking mold, seriously.