Home Ratings & Reviews

gurkha sherpa review

okay so just got done with it and to me its a fizzle. started off with a peppery taste and that peanut smell in the smoke which was good. the peanut was very pronounced and i thout i was in for a treat. the first 1 1/2 inches seemed to be a lil peppery with earthy taste. after the the first ash fell off the peanut smell of the smoke started to subside and a more leathery taste started to take over. halfway thru tho is when evrything started to fizzle out. the peanut smell turned to stale smoke with slite peanut tone and the taste just kinda left leaving more of a regular tobacco taste. then pretty much it seemed like all stale smoke both taste and smell, let it burn out with bout 2 inches left. i had to cleans my palate alot more than usual with this cigar than most, gargling coke zero which is what i drink with most cigars. also blew thru the cigar several times and let the cigar burn cool but this really didnt help either with taste. kinda seemed like they were wanting to show what you could expect in their top cigars in the first half of the sherpa and then pulled the plug on the last half because it is a cheaper cigar for the gurkha line. just my thoughts. although this did open my tastebuds a little more to different tastes that i could recognize and put a more definite finger on. i think a novice smoker will really enjoy this cigar and acquaint themselves to what leather earth and pepper taste like for future cigars. will i pass on this cigar in future, eh probably unless a 5 pack comes out but definately not a full box. i could see this as an inside half cigar bc of the peanut smell wont give that stale cigar smoke smell later on.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ILBB... My Sherpa was in my humidor for about six months, maybe aging is a friend to this cigar. Sorry you didn't get a better experience with that one.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    ILBB... My Sherpa was in my humidor for about six months, maybe aging is a friend to this cigar. Sorry you didn't get a better experience with that one.
    i havent had one but i was gunna say almos the smae thing. maybe age will do it good. If anyone has one that is aged a bit and is willing to review maybe it will point out that age helps.

... not all gurkhas can be great. oh well.
  • true to this so maybe when i go back and order some more cigars i will pick up a single and age it for awhile. definately a complex cigar at first half but like i said fizzled out big time on me last half. im sure they do have great cigars but im a poor boy so when i saw this stick i thought heres my chance to see. also not every cigar can be a hit theres always a lemon in there somewhere so maybe just bad luck on my part (which is usually the case in life with me).
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    ilikebigbutts-cigarbutts:
    true to this so maybe when i go back and order some more cigars i will pick up a single and age it for awhile. definately a complex cigar at first half but like i said fizzled out big time on me last half. im sure they do have great cigars but im a poor boy so when i saw this stick i thought heres my chance to see. also not every cigar can be a hit theres always a lemon in there somewhere so maybe just bad luck on my part (which is usually the case in life with me).
    I'd give another try, I like the Sherpa, I just ordered another box it's become a everyday smoke for me..
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I just had one of these last night and I agree that it opened up slightly peppery, but that faded very quickly (few puffs). The construction was very nice, except for one small nick and a split while smoking, neither of which affected the smoking experience. I noticed the ash was very flaky beyond the first half inch. I also noted the distinct peanut smell/taste everyone else had written about and compared it to a Thai peanut sauce, but not quite as strong. The leather wasn't really there for me, but some coffee and toasty notes were there in the beginning. Towards the end, I also felt the cigar fizzled, lost a lot of character and began burning hot, despite my efforts. With about two inches left, I tossed it. Not entirely disappointed, but not impressed either.

On a side note, if you liked this cigar at all, I'd recommend the Turk. If you didn't like this cigar only because of the peanut smell/taste, I'd still recommend the Turk. Some of you made a good point that aging may be beneficial to this cigar, which I think would also benefit the Turk as well. I have 4 more, at least 2 or 3 of which, I plan on aging.

If anyone's looking to try one, I'd be willing to part with a Sherpa and Park Ave for a trade (I'm really looking to try the estate vintage, grand age, centurian, nepalese warrior, or fuerte - though I'd be willing to consider other offers).
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Interesting. I've never gotten a peanut taste/smell from this cigar. Maybe I'm just not very sensitive to that flavor.
  • i have had a couple more since my first review and they all have gotten a worse personal review than that of my first 1. but for some reason i keep going back and ordering singles. i gues i really want to enjoy this cigar and i do like the peanut smell. maybe thats y i keep going back but the peanut smell wasn't very strong in the last 2 that i had but the first 1 was strong and enjoyable. although i did enjoy the park avenue and have 1 waiting for me. i gues also the price of these 2 sticks are cheap enough that if it was a average or so cigar that you would go back because they dont break the bank.
    ilikebigbutts-cigarbutts:
    i have had a couple more since my first review and they all have gotten a worse personal review than that of my first 1. but for some reason i keep going back and ordering singles. i gues i really want to enjoy this cigar and i do like the peanut smell. maybe thats y i keep going back but the peanut smell wasn't very strong in the last 2 that i had but the first 1 was strong and enjoyable. although i did enjoy the park avenue and have 1 waiting for me. i gues also the price of these 2 sticks are cheap enough that if it was a average or so cigar that you would go back because they dont break the bank.
    These words must be posted everyday... 5 Vegas Classic. well, actually that's words and a number.
  • Interesting that this is such a divisive cigar. Nothing neutral about it... love it or hate it, it demands attention, that's for sure.  Me, personally... I hated it.  With a passion.  I hated the way it smelled, hated the taste when I took a dry puff on it before firing it, hated the first draw and threw it away about 1/4 inch into it.  I really wanted to like it.  I actually sought out a sampler with one in it because I hoped I would love it enough to take advantage of the cheap price of boxes and bundles.  And I like lots of Gurkhas, especially the Legend Anniversario and the Doble Maduro -- two of the favorites in my humidor.  But nope... the Sherpa may be the cigar I liked the least ever in my life.  I can understand that some people love it, and that doesn't make them or me wrong, it just shows that different people like very different stuff.  I never smelled or tasted "peanuts," though.  The one word that kept crossing my mind was "barnyard."
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigar_Samurai:
    the Sherpa may be the cigar I liked the least ever in my life
    have you ever smoked a "savoy" brand cigar. the taste and texture were "sawdust"
    ... it was bad.
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    its great that you gave this cigar another few shots but honestly i say wait a few months or even a year and pick it up again and see how u like it bcuz ur pallatte is constantly changing. also i have a single right now that im ageing so i will let you all know how that goes in a few months. the ghurkas are usually an exceptional cigar so maybe you had a bad bunch. how long have you been smoking for?
  • If anyone's looking to try one, I'd be willing to part with a Sherpa and Park Ave for a trade (I'm really looking to try the estate vintage, grand age, centurian, nepalese warrior, or fuerte - though I'd be willing to consider other offers).
    I have a Centurian and Sherpas.

I could trade a Centurian for a Park. PM me.
    Cigar_Samurai:
    Interesting that this is such a divisive cigar. Nothing neutral about it... love it or hate it, it demands attention, that's for sure.  Me, personally... I hated it.  With a passion.  I hated the way it smelled, hated the taste when I took a dry puff on it before firing it, hated the first draw and threw it away about 1/4 inch into it.  I really wanted to like it.  I actually sought out a sampler with one in it because I hoped I would love it enough to take advantage of the cheap price of boxes and bundles.  And I like lots of Gurkhas, especially the Legend Anniversario and the Doble Maduro -- two of the favorites in my humidor.  But nope... the Sherpa may be the cigar I liked the least ever in my life.  I can understand that some people love it, and that doesn't make them or me wrong, it just shows that different people like very different stuff.  I never smelled or tasted "peanuts," though.  The one word that kept crossing my mind was "barnyard."
    Well' Samurai, send 'em to me and Urbi, we are both rather fond of this one. Again, different tastes for different people, and maybe a bad cigar. There have been several different cigars that I hated first time out, but grew to like later. This may be another example of that. ??
    Yeah, kas -- peace be upon him -- got me started on these. I think they're a terrific value.
  • I only had the one in my sampler, but if I come across another, you guys can have it.  Certainly it's true that one try of most cigars is not enough to really tell -- depends a lot on how you're feeling, what you've eaten, what you're drinking at the time -- I've loved and hated the same cigar on different days.  But the Sherpa is so unique, I don't think I'll ever warm to it... just not my bag o' peanuts, I guess.

Hey, Urbi, I just left Memphis -- still own a bunch of rental houses there.  Wanna by about 10 of them?  :)
    ahh dnt tell me that haha im still trying to hope for the best its gna b my first ghurka i just hope its good bcuz i wnt it to live up to the great expectations that this company has created.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    BigDan.:
    ahh dnt tell me that haha im still trying to hope for the best its gna b my first ghurka i just hope its good bcuz i wnt it to live up to the great expectations that this company has created.
    You do need to remember that this isn't really a Gurkha is a K. Hansotia, who is the owner of Gurkha, but the K. Hansotia are the low-end of the Gurkha lines. Take the Sherpa with a grain of salt, it is a $2 cigar.
    wat do u mean with a grain of salt? and what other lines r K and what are some good gurkas then
    I just mean go into this cigar understanding that it is a $2 gurkha and not one of their $20 sticks, i.e. The Titan, Beauty, Beast, Legend, Gran Reserve, etc.
    ah good point. 20 bucks a stick is way out of my budget right now haha maybe one day or on a super good occasion. why is it so bad though? what tastes or characteristics make this cigar crappy bottom shelf material. because its been said a thousand times " why pay more for a quality cigar" so it seems like people tend to like these other cigars maybe because they feel like they have to enjoy these more and cherish every moment and every draw. i.e cuban cigars i havnt had one im sure they are great but how much better are they than a very high quality cigar?
    When you ask what makes the Sherpa "crappy bottom shelf material," I assume you're talking to the couple of people who don't like it. Those of us who like it -- like it quite a lot, actually -- obviously couldn't answer such a question.

I suggest trying it. If you don't like it, you're out $2. Not a big deal. If you do, you've found an inexpensive cigar you like. A very good thing.
    Its not a crappy cigar at all. I'm just saying you need to go into it with the understanding that its a $2 cigar. Don't expect filet mignon when you order a hamburger. Hamburger can be damn good better than a bad filet mignon but you can't expect it to be better than a great filet mignon.
    Cigar_Samurai:
    Hey, Urbi, I just left Memphis -- still own a bunch of rental houses there.  Wanna by about 10 of them?  :)
    Heh. No thanks, but I know somebody who might be interested in some.
    ooh ok got it so its a love it or hate it type ok so ill just keep a open mind and see how it goes , thanks guys :)
  • StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    I had a sherpa tonight and I would say the first half of the cigar was very good but about the half way point it seemed to get a little on the bitter and stale side not so much that It was extremely unpleasant but enough that I was not really enjoying it like I did the first 3 inches and it left a slightly bad taste on the finish.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Dan, the Sherpa, as has been said, is an inexpensive cigar. It also happens to be pretty good for its price range. The analogies have been made, so I'll skip that, but this is one of those cigars that can be described as good for what it costs...hell, it's better than what it costs at $40 a bundle. Just don't expect to be blown away, because you'll be disappointed going into it with high hopes, but rather go into the experience knowing that it is a solid performer even though it's not the best out there.
    ah well said joe , im very excited to smoke this stick just because of all the gurkha hype although i know its not directly a gurkha its close enough for me. i understand what you are saying about it not being the best but a good solid stick especially gor the price. im leaving this one in my humidor for a while though i just want to see how it will be with age. anways thanks for the advice joe its really appreciated. Ooh wow this thread is ancient!
  • The older Sherpa's were some of my favorites. I have about 10 or so still resting, over a year sitting on them and they are amazing. the only reason I don't smoke them is I don't know how this new blend compares. I keep saying I'm going to get a few to compare and try but I just never do it. And everyone saying peanuts vs. no peanuts, the originals were like eating a handful of Planter's every puff which was what I loved so much. If these new one's don't really have that, then I don't want to bother and it seems hit or miss with ppl tasting nuts or not.
  • I have had about 5 since I posted the review. The 1st 1 had the peanut smell and rest nothing. I dont know why i keep going back besides the price, bc there has been no flavor at all since.
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Posts: 282
    I'm smoking a Sherpa ("Founder's Choice 2002 blah blah blah) right now and I'm a bit disappointed. The first few puffs were good but then it faded quickly to a dry, bitter-ish cigar. The construction of the cigar is outstanding and the smoke production and ash are good, but that's about all I can say about this. I thought at first it was going to mold into a cedery taste but that disappeared also. I'm more than halfway through and all I have is a semi-bland cigar. It had been resting for about 8 months.