Home Cigar 101

excess humidity

I've read (at least I think I have) the posts on too much humidity. But, I've got a problem that is driving me nuts. I've got a desk-top humidor that I've been storing my cigars in for years. I had a Paradigm humidifier for several years but lately it didn't seem to be keeping the humidity high enough (it stayed at about 60%).

So, I bought a Credo 70, charged it with distilled water and put it in the humidor. In two days the humidity was reading 79%. I immediately took it out and the humidity dropped to 70%. The humidity has stayed  at 70% for the last 4 days with out the humidifier in the humidor. When I put it back in (with out recharging it) the humidity jumped to 79% again.

The hydrometer I'm using is digital and I've testd it twice in a salt test kit. Both times the reading was two points higher than the 75% standard. So it seems to be accurate--or at least not 9% off.

Any thoughts or suggestins would be welcome!

Comments

• Bouvguy:

I've read (at least I think I have) the posts on too much humidity. But, I've got a problem that is driving me nuts. I've got a desk-top humidor that I've been storing my cigars in for years. I had a Paradigm humidifier for several years but lately it didn't seem to be keeping the humidity high enough (it stayed at about 60%).

So, I bought a Credo 70, charged it with distilled water and put it in the humidor. In two days the humidity was reading 79%. I immediately took it out and the humidity dropped to 70%. The humidity has stayed  at 70% for the last 4 days with out the humidifier in the humidor. When I put it back in (with out recharging it) the humidity jumped to 79% again.

The hydrometer I'm using is digital and I've testd it twice in a salt test kit. Both times the reading was two points higher than the 75% standard. So it seems to be accurate--or at least not 9% off.

Its entirely possible your house has a high ambient humidity and that your old humidifer was underperforming/malfunctioning as a result and actually dehumidifying the humi. Where do you live? Do you use AC? Do you keep it in a low or high level of the house?

Or better yet, have you ever set the hygrometer outside the humi to see what the room humidity is?

• rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Bouvguy:

Did you perhaps overfill the Credo? If you got too much water in there it's possible it's just pumping out the excess and can't regulate right... The foam in them is designed to absorb or release moisture, but just like beads, if the foam is way pumped with water it won't be able to absorb any more...
  • Guys--

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I live in Georgia so it's pretty darn humid in the summer. The hygrometer (same one that's in my humidor) says that my room humidity is 67%.

As long as I leave the humidifier out of the box, the humidity inside my humidor stays at 70-71%. I know I shouldn't be complaining but I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my hygrometer: but, it's passed the salt test twice. I can't imagine that no humidifier would be required. Is it possible that I over-soaked it and the the cedar and cigars absorbed so much water that they're releasing it back into the atmoshpere?

Thanks, again.

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't think there is anything wrong with your hygrometer, it may just be a simple case of having too much humidity, which is what it sounds like to me.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    If the wood and cigars are currently above 70%, then your current situation is certainly plausible. Just let the humidor go for a few days without any supplemental humidification. In the meantime, get another salt test working just to be sure on your hygrometer. After that, put the hygrometer in and add humidification as necessary.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any ideas on how to clean mold out of a humi? I had mold growing on a humidifier and some got on the wood, I though a cloth with distilled water would work. Or is there no hope?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it depends on how bad it is.
    if its not bad a little distilled may clean it right up.

if it s bad you may need to let the thing dray out and wipe it out then do a bit of sanding.

if its VERY bad... may need a new humi.
  • Bouvguy:

Guys--

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I live in Georgia so it's pretty darn humid in the summer. The hygrometer (same one that's in my humidor) says that my room humidity is 67%.

As long as I leave the humidifier out of the box, the humidity inside my humidor stays at 70-71%. I know I shouldn't be complaining but I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my hygrometer: but, it's passed the salt test twice. I can't imagine that no humidifier would be required. Is it possible that I over-soaked it and the the cedar and cigars absorbed so much water that they're releasing it back into the atmoshpere?

Thanks, again.

I agree with the other guys.  If you can maintain that kind of ambient humidity in the room, just go without, no problem.  I'm willing to bet though that sooner or later as winter hits, you may need some supplemental humidification.  Might consider leaving it out, and just checking the humidity weekly or so to see if humidity in the room is changing over time, and if so..act when necessary.

phobicsquirrel:
    Anyone have any ideas on how to clean mold out of a humi? I had mold growing on a humidifier and some got on the wood, I though a cloth with distilled water would work. Or is there no hope?
    I'd say mix up some warm water, preferably distilled, and vinegar, probably in about an 80/20 ratio or so. Get a cloth damp with the mix, but not wet, and wipe it down generously a couple times. After you wipe it down, leave it open to air dry for a good while, probably a couple days at least and then check it for mold and any vinegar stink (though that should dissipate on its own) and then proceed to re-season it.

If you are concerned that the vinegar may linger, then don't use it. I think it would help to kill off any remaining mold spores though as it is a weak acid, but I cannot stand by my recommendation as a solid method as I've never had to do this before.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    That sounds like a rational approach. I'd say use white vinegar, and test it first on the inside of an empty cigar box, if you can.
  • 80/20 Propylene Glycol mixture would work too, and it doesnt leave a smell like vinegar.  They actually sell that as a cigar humi solution.
  • Where in GA Bouv?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vidarien:
    80/20 Propylene Glycol mixture would work too, and it doesnt leave a smell like vinegar.  They actually sell that as a cigar humi solution.
    will never get that smell out then the box is ruined.
    thanks for the info guys!
  • kuzi16:
    Vidarien:
    80/20 Propylene Glycol mixture would work too, and it doesnt leave a smell like vinegar.  They actually sell that as a cigar humi solution.
    will never get that smell out then the box is ruined.

Really?  Ive been using it, never detected any type of odor

I think he meant that the glycol mix won't get the mold smell out...you need something that will actually kill the mold. As far as my experience goes, the glycol mix doesn't really have a detectable odor.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd say mold... That crap is a microscopic **** that can ruin the wood...
    Lasabar:
    Spore, Lassy. That crap is a microscopic spore.
    urbino:
    Lasabar:
    Spore, Lassy. That crap is a microscopic spore.
    Stoopid Grammar.... Hope I didn't spawn another "Rant"
    On second thought, since it can ruin your wood, maybe "****" is the word for it.
    urbino:
    On second thought, since it can ruin your wood, maybe "****" is the word for it.
    I don't know... is the "****" word really something that would RUIN your wood?

I suppose both sides could be argued for or against the "****"
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    im pro-****
    BigDan.:
    im pro-****
    I'm a ****... and I approve this message
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    LMAO!!! That was awesome

And lassy, to clarify how the **** might ruin your wood, I'll need to quote some Oscar Brand:

And when I woke next morning,
    My instrument was sore
    As if I had been using it
    On the keyhole in the door

dutyje:
    urbino:
    LMAO!!! That was awesome

And lassy, to clarify how the **** might ruin your wood, I'll need to quote some Oscar Brand:

And when I woke next morning,
    My instrument was sore
    As if I had been using it
    On the keyhole in the door

lol, nicely put.