Home General Discussion

How did you pick out your lighter?

With infinite choices of what to buy, i'm feeling a lil' overwhelmed. I'm guessing I have to decide how much to spend, how frequently I plan to use it, among other things. It'd be great help if I had some of your guys' feedback on how you picked up your lighter(s). Like I said, i'm a lil' lost, and I don't know what to get.

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Mine came in a GoF package deal, but that doesn't help you much. I'd recommend a cheap Ronson first. Use it for a while and discover what you like and don't like about it. You'll start to figure out what you want in a lighter. Then after a while buy one with attributes you want. That was my plan until that deal came along, but now it makes a good back up.
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    I bought the same one i used at my local cigar lounge....i fell in love with the Perdomo Thundra torch lighter...it will only set you back about 30-40 bucks depending where you buy it.
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I buy the cheap crack pipe lighters, they work great, 5.99 a copy, refillable and last over a year. got tired of wasting money on good ones a long trme ago.
    I was going to say, maybe it's time I quit drinking and smoking, tear down all the Vargas girl posters and straighten out my life. But I won't.....
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I would say get a torch.There is no reason other than looks to spend more than 40 bucks. Also wait on a deal you can get good lighters free or for very little with a cigar purchase or on a deal
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I saw this youtube vid. LINK

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I fell in love with the Bugatti B-1 because the ignition button is on the side. I burned a hole in my glove when I was smoking during the winter because my old lighter had the button next to the flame.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I rarely smoke inside. I knew I needed something that could light in the wind. So, I wanted a triple torch. I wanted something that was easy to handle/use while Toasting/Lighting. I knew I wanted a fuel window. I wanted a Warranty (to have recourse of it broke or didn't work for some reason). I wanted it to look nice too. I didn't want to pay more than $50.00. I paid $50.00. Vector Vulcan.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    It came with a good sampler for free.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    how did i choose my lighter?

first i went to Xikar.com...

seriously though, it was about the warranty.
  • +1 I work in my local B&M and we always make sure to tell our customers about Xikar and their warranty. We replace them in house with no hassle to the customer if it malfunctions. Plus they are just really great lighters. I carry the Exodus and love it. It has a soft flame to toast the foot of the cigar slowly before you light it and it is virtually windproof. Go to your local shop and just find one that feels good and has the characteristics you like.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I happened to be at a hobby shop one day, and said huh, 7 dollar torch, ill give it a try. best lighter I ever had.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I stood at the counter and said: "the red one."
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Tokinstogie:
    I buy the cheap crack pipe lighters, they work great, 5.99 a copy, refillable and last over a year. got tired of wasting money on good ones a long trme ago.
    Ive had one of these for like 8 years now and it still works great! It only lights 2-3 sticks before running out, but typically I only need it to light one. Ive transitioned to a fairly cheap Nibo triple flame that works fine. I got this one from an online retailer I will no longer shop at... Its He Who Shall Not Be Named.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Lightersdirect.com
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I saw this youtube vid. LINK

I got the pen style torch #503 from the same place that light came from. It is great as it fits in hte hurf a dor great. You get a torch and soft flame in one.
  • sumixamsumixam Posts: 23
    So basically, the lighter will find me! lol
  • tkohlertkohler Posts: 70
    I went with a Xikar Eris - http://xikar.com/product_lighter_eris.asp My requirements were a fuel window, and for it to not look like a huge crack pipe lighter. At first I had quite a few issues with it not wanting to light, but found out it was due to cheap butane. I've since picked up some better butane, and can say butane can make or break a lighter. The eris has a punch built right into the bottom which works very well actually. The fuel window doesn't work as well as other lighters, but I generally just fill it up before I go out, or after one or two cigars (I use a lot of fuel when I light as I don't like to puff with the flame on the 'gar). The other nice thing I like is I can easily adjust the flame with my fingernail (but it won't 'auto adjust' in your pocket), turn it up for lighting a gar, turn it down for touchups or when I lend it to a cigarette smoker. The side light works great, keeps your fingers away from the hot parts. Lifetime warranty is also an added bonus.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    I originally received a Xikar in a package deal here, but rapidly became disenchanted with it, as it clogged and refused to light. I then bought a Cabela's lighter. It is waterproof, weatherproof, and designed for rough service; paramount, since I am a firefighter who likes to take cigars with me when I go. ;) Not as cultured or sexy as others (the lighter, not m...oh hell, who am I kidding image), but I was looking for function, not form.

Cabela's Torch Lighter
  • my bro got a 2-for-1, and gave me a freebie.