Home Ratings & Reviews

Bad Padilla Obsidian Experience.........

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
I had a Padilla Obsidian Torpedo tonight. Unfortunately, I had a nightmare of an experience. I guess this happens to every smoker at least once, but this cigar had issues from the get-go. Pre-light, it felt too densely packed to the touch. No give at all. Not dried out, just very firm. I cut it at the traditional spot for a Torp and right away I could tell it was gonna be a tight draw. But i toasted it anyways. I had trouble geting it going, this thing was packed TIGHT! Finally get it lit, and at first, I get some good smoke output but its taking a lot of effort. I decide to cut another 1/8th of an inch off, to open it up a bit more. It works but only a little. It could have been plugged, but it didn't seem to be. There were lots of burn issues that had to be corrected through the first inch and a half. I gave it about a third before I abandoned ship.

I'm not giving up hope on this one. I'll try it agin someday, because all the problems aside, the flavor was excellent. A very intense maduro, with lots of flavor profiiles. Hopefully I'll get to distinguish them all with my next stick.
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    If you search around for this stick, you'll find a lot of guys have a really right draw with this one. Apparently, dry boxing was designed specifically for a stick just like the Obsidian, lol. Word is to leave it out, or in a dry cigar box for many hours before smoking. Funny thing is the one I had was excellent, including the draw and burn. Haven't had one since, though.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Unfortunately the Obsidian is plagued with these problems, when you get a good one they are good, but burn and draw issues are prevalent in that cigar. I have a bundle that I've been resting for over 18 months now and hopefully when I pull one out some of the problems will be fixed. Don't give up on them though, like I said when they're good they're good.
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    lilwing88:

I'm not giving up hope on this one. I'll try it agin someday, because all the problems aside, the flavor was excellent. A very intense maduro, with lots of flavor profiiles. Hopefully I'll get to distinguish them all with my next stick.

I had the same issue, the taste was great when you could get any, but it was like trying to suck a bowling ball through a garden hose...people have told me to let it sit out, I have done that and the draw was still terrible...it is a shame because they are not bad in flavor. Some people tell me to poke holes in the end with a skewer, why should I do that...for that reason, and them not being advertised on here or anywere as overtight cigars, I won't be ordering them again...I just wish I had known before I got them in the first place....to bad you can't get refunds for false advertising or bad products.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i didnt have burn issues when i smoked one last.
    i had taste issues.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    See, now I thought it tasted awesome. I hated giving up on it, cuz when I did get a nice draw here and there, it was rich, oily, full-bodied goodness.

I guess it all depends on whatever feeds your monkey.....
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    See, now I thought it tasted awesome. I hated giving up on it, cuz when I did get a nice draw here and there, it was rich, oily, full-bodied goodness.

You have a Monkey???? (lol)
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    KCW:
    lilwing88:

You have a Monkey???? (lol)
    As "The Dude" would say: "You gotta feed the monkey, man."
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    i had taste issues.
    I agree. This stick left me wanting to go smoke... a good stick. Didn't like this stick AT ALL and I love Padilla's.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Yeah, I had major burn and draw issues as well. It wasn't anything great in the flavor dept either IMO.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    i had taste issues.
    I agree. This stick left me wanting to go smoke... a good stick. Didn't like this stick AT ALL and I love Padilla's.
    Add me to this list.....didn't like anything about this cigar. I had a 5er smoked 3 to give it a fair shot, and gave away the other 2. I don't know the best way to describe what this tasted like to me except, oily. Mine also had burn issues, canoes, bowls, the works.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Stryker808:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    i had taste issues.
    Add me to this list.....didn't like anything about this cigar. I had a 5er smoked 3 to give it a fair shot, and gave away the other 2. I don't know the best way to describe what this tasted like to me except, oily. Mine also had burn issues, canoes, bowls, the works.

+4 I havent tried to drybox yet so that might help. Its really hard for me to smoke a stick again that has already been bad when I have so many others to try.
  • I had the same problem with every one I have tried. I had one that I clipped three or four times and finally threw away in disgust. I will not be buying any more.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    not a fan of these myself.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Goldy:
    Its really hard for me to smoke a stick again that has already been bad when I have so many others to try.
    Bingo. Me, too, Goldy. Life is too short to smoke bad cigars.

Personally, I think Padilla just has quality control problems. I've had similar problems with the Obsidian. I love the flavor of the 1968, but most of the ones I've smoked have been on the other end of the spectrum -- pretty seriously under-filled. Oddly enough, the one Padilla I've found consistently well-made is the Achilles.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    urbino:
    Goldy:
    Its really hard for me to smoke a stick again that has already been bad when I have so many others to try.

Personally, I think Padilla just has quality control problems. I've had similar problems with the Obsidian. I love the flavor of the 1968, but most of the ones I've smoked have been on the other end of the spectrum -- pretty seriously under-filled. Oddly enough, the one Padilla I've found consistently well-made is the Achilles.
    I've never had a bad Habano, but I believe they are made by Fernandez.

edit: I just read Alex's post about AJ and it looks like the Habano was made by Oliva, then Fernandez, now back to Oliva. Can't go wrong either way there...
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Duder2:
    urbino:
    Goldy:

I've never had a bad Habano, but I believe they are made by Fernandez.

edit: I just read Alex's post about AJ and it looks like the Habano was made by Oliva, then Fernandez, now back to Oliva. Can't go wrong either way there...

So I have a few Habanos in my humidor and decided that last night I would try one out. The taste was good, and there was no draw issues with this cigar, despite all my other experiences with Padilla I was pleased. Pleased that is until it hit the jet fuel/two stems on one side of the stick and despite my best efforts wouldn't be controlled until the last third of the stick. I was disappointed by this but I am holding out hope for the others in my humidor...hopefully they will just be tobacco not tobacco and tree.

Now I am starting to think that maybe there is something wrong with the way I smoke/light/hold/look at my Padilla sticks! What have I done to offend them so???

PS-A crappy Padilla is still better than the best Graycliff... :-)

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Duder2:
    Yeah, I had major burn and draw issues as well. It wasn't anything great in the flavor dept either IMO.
    +1 Even crap would say this stick is crap! It takes something really awful to make most Gurkha's look like winners, but the Obsidian managed it handily. I really enjoy Padilla's, but this thing is an abomination!!!

You might as well smoke the nearly $5 this POS retails for - you're likely to have less burn issues if you do. No BS, I actually ran my Bugatti OUT correcting burn issues.

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    It's a PoS. Let me put it this way; I won't even gift them out to friends, because when I give a cigar to a non-BoTL (trying to spread the faith), I want them to enjoy the experience, not cave in their head trying to maintain a draw, only to find out the flavor is goats-ass as well.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    It's a PoS. Let me put it this way; I won't even gift them out to friends, because when I give a cigar to a non-BoTL (trying to spread the faith), I want them to enjoy the experience, not cave in their head trying to maintain a draw, only to find out the flavor is goats-ass as well.
    Would you guys believe I've been wanting to try out the Obsidian and the Graycliff 1666 just to see how bad those things are? Lol. Looks like I'll be avoiding them again. Thanks for the warning :P
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    You were why I bumped this thread. Well not specifically YOU Wayne... but anyone who was going to purchase or try this **** needs to be warned off of it!

Glad I could save you. :-D

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Well isn't this disappointing...I was bombed with one of these couple months ago and I've been eyeing it lately...guess i will have to mentally prepare myself for the worse when I smoke it.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    Well isn't this disappointing...I was bombed with one of these couple months ago and I've been eyeing it lately...guess i will have to mentally prepare myself for the worse when I smoke it.
    I thought the worst would be the White Owl or Swisher you love so much :P
  • CanadianCanadian Posts: 54
    I don't know what can be said that hasn't been said allready. I got a bundle of these on a weekend blitz and was excited when they came in. They are a beautiful looking cigar. I love the taste of this cigar when I can get it to burn. Usually it goes out repeatedly and I get a headache and sick from so much effort sucking it. I was told to dry box it and I did for 24 hours before smoking it. No luck. I hate giving them away because even friends who don't really smoke will notice they can't keep it lit. I guess my wife's 85 year old grandfather can grind them up in his coffee grinder and smoke the stuff in his pipe.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Smoke=Fire:
    Would you guys believe I've been wanting to try out the Obsidian and the Graycliff 1666 just to see how bad those things are? Lol. Looks like I'll be avoiding them again. Thanks for the warning :P
    What's even more discouraging is that all the Padilla samplers seem to include these things at which point I kinda sigh and keep on looking.

I like Graycliff 1666 though, I see why people might not like them, but they are NO OBSIDIAN!
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I could be wrong here, but if i recall...the obsidian is not truly a padilla anymore..its a house blend under CI/ccom managment licensed under the padilla name. If this is not true feel free to correct me.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    Wow! No love at all for the Obsidian! Anyone who wants to send theirs to me, I'll gladly take them off your hands...I love 'em!

As for the Graycliff 1666, it's not horrible, but I'm not going out of my way to find one, either.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I've only had two. The first one was rough with burn issues and a tight draw but my second one had 6 months and was awesome. I have a bunch more at home resting at least 8 months already. I am just waiting to try another one. My friend loves these cigars even though they have burn and draw issues. He loves the taste. He was going to get some and age them to see how they do.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Krieg:
    I think I know who to bomb now...

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    wwhwang:
    Krieg:
    I think I know who to bomb now...
    Ah crap :(
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I enjoy the flavor profile of the Obsidian. That said, I was given them by the gracious JoZer. However, the few I have smoked have all had an issue, whether it be way too tight draw, canoeing or just refusing to stay lit. Its a shame, IMO.