Home Cigar 101

How far down do you gentleman smoke?

Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
I was recently having a "discussion", on how far down a proper cigar smoker smokes. I like to kill it off with plenty left. My reasoning is that once the smoke gets too harsh it can make me kind of sick, especially when dealing with a full bodied stick. Plus, to me, it tastes like crap towards the end where all the tar and nicotine build up. I dont have a rule, I mostly go to when it starts to taste like crap. But if I had to give a rule, I'd say somewhere around where 1/4 of the stogie is left.

Now, my cigar smoking friend calls me a wuss. He says you have to go down to the band AT LEAST! This is where flavors get especially strong and a true cigar smoker looks for those strong notes. I find these kinds of "rules" to be a bit silly. I don't feel the need to impress anyone since I'm 28 years old, but alas, I am interested in what you guys think and what you do yourselves.

Comments

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    IMO you're spot on. Just smoke until you're done smoking. It's your cigar.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I usually get past the band, but I don't have a hard and fast rule. I smoke slow so it generally doesn't get to hot and harsh 'til I am way down. Do what you like, it's your stick.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sounds like you've got it right. I stop smoking when it starts to get too hot or harsh.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I try and nub every cigar but that is also because I smoke slow and steady. But if I am not a fan of the cigar I make it to the band and let it go out.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

i smoke till im done.

• vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    usually make it to about 1 inch. on most smokes
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    kuzi16:

i smoke till im done.

This.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I smoke to the band or a little past.

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    kuzi16:

i smoke till im done.

Copy that.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    kuzi16:

i smoke till im done.

Copy that.
    Once again, Kuzi puts it perfectly.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    As long as I am enjoying the cigar, I will continue. I rarely toss one before the band though. I give the cigar plenty of chances to deliver.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Usually I stand and its oh about 6-2
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    It depends on how much I'm enjoying the cigar, some I burn my fingers on and some I give up on at around the band level.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    It depends on the cigar and how i smoked it till the end,sometimes its like a love affair and dont want put it down till my hands start to burn,but sometimes i put it down as soon the flavour start changing for the worse!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I tend to pride myself on my nubs (LOL), but I've tossed many a cigar with inches to go. As Kuzi so simply put it, I smoke till I'm done.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I like to smoke as far down as I can enjoy it. If it's down to the nub, then down to the nub. If not, then I just let it die out when I stop enjoying it.

However, some "cigar experts" (I'm looking at you, Davidoff) would tell you that no civilized man would ever smoke more than half the cigar, ask someone else for a light, or smoke another cigar without waiting 15 minutes (because then we're just junkies and not aficionados, right?).
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Kuzi said it, till I'm done.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until my fingers burn!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    It depends on the cigar, I wil smoke it down to the nub if it tastes good, but no matter where it's at if it starts to taste bad, then I'm done...there are too many cigars to waste time smoking something that tastes like crap.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    wwhwang:
    I like to smoke as far down as I can enjoy it. If it's down to the nub, then down to the nub. If not, then I just let it die out when I stop enjoying it.

However, some "cigar experts" (I'm looking at you, Davidoff) would tell you that no civilized man would ever smoke more than half the cigar, ask someone else for a light, or smoke another cigar without waiting 15 minutes (because then we're just junkies and not aficionados, right?).
    hmm, if I recall, cigar ettiquette (when you're around others) says that the cigar should be put down (not snuffed out, just put down and left to go out) when you've got three fingers left in it (measured by 3 finger widths from the end of cigar). That said, etiquette only applies if you're smoking around other people who care about such things.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    yes i find myself doing mostly what kuzi says. Sometimes, like recently with the Rocky Patel Vintage '99, I will be smoking with a buddy and loving the stogie so damn much and having such a great time i'm damn near burning myself with it. Generally, when I'm by myself, I tend to smoke my cheaper stock and those sticks can get real nasty towards the end. Thats not to say I dont enjoy cheap cigars. I really do, it's just that I tend to want to smoke those for awhile and then I get a bit past the halfway point and start to enjoy it less and less with every puff. that's when the stick's gotta go.
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Usually until the cigar gets hot and harsh. As everyone else has stated, it's up to you, it's your cigar. IMO when you stop enjoying it, it's time to let it go out.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    I'm with Kuzi and everyone else who's with Kuzi I guess. I've smoked less than half of one and I've smoked several down to less than an inch. All depends on how much I enjoy it, how the burn is, and how much time I have. I don't let time keep me from smoking, so there have been occasions where I've lit up a robusto knowing I only had 30 minutes and had to put it down halfway through (note I don't fire up super premiums on these occasions though. lol)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Some have been so good I wanted to eat the nub, others so crappy (talking to you, SC artisan) I wanted to lick my dogs ass to get the taste out. It all depends on the cigar, the circumstances, mood, health (with a bad cold no cigar is worth smoking), weather, etc.
    cholmes8310:
    I'm with Kuzi and everyone else who's with Kuzi I guess. I've smoked less than half of one and I've smoked several down to less than an inch. All depends on how much I enjoy it, how the burn is, and how much time I have. I don't let time keep me from smoking, so there have been occasions where I've lit up a robusto knowing I only had 30 minutes and had to put it down halfway through (note I don't fire up super premiums on these occasions though. lol)

Or sometimes it ok or better than average and you drop it in the middle and have no choice as the dropping action pretty much ruins the cigar.....

Fourtotheflush:
    Usually I stand and its oh about 6-2

I guess I think Im alot funnier than I actuall am.....

At least this cracked me up! HA.....

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    cabinetmaker:
    Some have been so good I wanted to eat the nub, others so crappy (talking to you, SC artisan) I wanted to lick my dogs ass to get the taste out. It all depends on the cigar, the circumstances, mood, health (with a bad cold no cigar is worth smoking), weather, etc.

ROTFLMAO @ the SOL Cubano Artisian.... I didnt think it was that bad But I wouldnt invest in any more I have 2 resting....... LOL
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am currently stuck in Cleveland, Ohio which is way outside my comfort zone but when I get back I have a couple of pics to illustrate the gypsy method
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Fourtotheflush:
    cholmes8310:

Or sometimes it ok or better than average and you drop it in the middle and have no choice as the dropping action pretty much ruins the cigar.....

you're a jackass. haha. Think I may keep that ESG 22 yr salute for myself!

Today, Four and I took a long lunch and grabbed a coffee and cigars. I was smoking a MOW and about halfway through it as I was taking a puff, the ash fell, i tried to move back and dropped the cigar. DA*NIT!!! it was getting better too. The first third wasn't spectacular, but it was building up to a good cigar.