Home Ratings & Reviews

Verdadero Organic?

I have some friends that will only smoke organic tobacco and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the Verdadero Organic.

Comments

• BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    isnt all tobacco organic because if you used chemicals and such on the leaves than they will soak into the plant ruining the flavor and aroma of the tobacco
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have never had that particular cigar so i cant speak on that.

all tobacco is not organic... at least legally. to be certified organic you have to pass a bunch of tests and show that you have used no chemicals at all. ... not even in fumigation. therefore there are very few "organic" cigar makers. it isnt worth the money to be certified. if all tey smoke is certified organic tobacco then they are missing out on tons of cigars.

most cigar companies grow their tobacco in fields that probably are organic for the reasons that big dan pointed out above. hand rolled premium cigars are 100% natural because there is no paper, just tobacco. if those people have a problem with cigars... well, that leaves mroe for me.
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    Thanks, both of you,

I was going to introduce them to cigars, they only smoke self rolled cigs right now.
    tree huggers?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Self rolled cigs? THey make organic cigarette paper? Last I remember rolling papers were loaded with chemicals.
    madurofan:
    Self rolled cigs? THey make organic cigarette paper? Last I remember rolling papers were loaded with chemicals.
    Yes they make organic papers, if you ever spend any time in Humboldt County, CA you will find two things, Pot lots of Pot and anything your could imagine in organic, but you can't find cigars. We have one liquor shop in the county that sells cigars and they don't know sh*t about them, or most of the people working don't.

kuzi16:
    tree huggers?
    Yep.
    sane:
    madurofan:
    Yes they make organic papers, if you ever spend any time in Humboldt County, CA you will find two things, Pot lots of Pot and anything your could imagine in organic, but you can't find cigars. We have one liquor shop in the county that sells cigars and they don't know sh*t about them, or most of the people working don't.
    wel I'll be ...
    i find this entire thing very funny.
    one of the big things that is making people switch to organic products (produce, wine, beer, meat) is that it is "better for you" like there is some nutritional value in the organic product that is more than non organic. Im not saying that it is better for you or not, i personally dont know or care. but, why this is funny is because the people are smoking ORGANIC CIGARETTES. those cigarettes are gunna kill ya slower? gunna build some muscle with those? 7 of 10 Physicians smoke organic cigarettes over regular?

the fact of the matter is, its still a cigarette and is still an abomination of tobacco. its still a habbit not a hobby.
    kuzi16:
    7 of 10 Physicians smoke organic cigarettes over regular?
    I was just reading along nodding my head in agreement and then there was this statement ...

Funny Sh*t kuz
    Kuzi, I compliantly agree but people get stupid ideas and most of the time its hard to get them out of there head.

I do on the other head try and eat organic when it will not break the pocket book. I know you don't care but for me its not if organic food is nutritionally better for you its that it has not been covered with chemicals. Plus in most cases it tastes a hell of a lot better.
    sane:
    Plus in most cases it tastes a hell of a lot better.
    Agreed.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    one of the big things that is making people switch to organic products (produce, wine, beer, meat) is that it is "better for you" like there is some nutritional value in the organic product that is more than non organic. Im not saying that it is better for you or not, i personally dont know or care. but, why this is funny is because the people are smoking ORGANIC CIGARETTES. those cigarettes are gunna kill ya slower? gunna build some muscle with those? 7 of 10 Physicians smoke organic cigarettes over regular?

the fact of the matter is, its still a cigarette and is still an abomination of tobacco. its still a habbit not a hobby.
    This is exactly what I thought when I saw this cigar featured on the home page. I also thought, "wow, they've targeted the wrong market with this product!"

We actually participate in a local organic food delivery service. Each week, we get a box of organic fruits and vegetables delivered to our house. We buy organic food when it is priced comparably to other food. We eat plenty of non-organic food as well. Organic food may or may not be better for you, but it's almost certainly not worse. As mentally-stable pointed out, it tastes a lot better.
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this cigar featured on the home page. I also thought, "wow, they've targeted the wrong market with this product!"

We actually participate in a local organic food delivery service. Each week, we get a box of organic fruits and vegetables delivered to our house. We buy organic food when it is priced comparably to other food. We eat plenty of non-organic food as well. Organic food may or may not be better for you, but it's almost certainly not worse. As mentally-stable pointed out, it tastes a lot better.
    see? now we agree on TWO things!
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    "mentally-stable"  lmao
    dutyje:
    Duty, I participate in the same kind of thing, otherwise I would eat less organic as it is not cheep.
    I agree that they are targeting the wrong demographic with the organic cigar.
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57
       I am not nearly the most experienced cigar smoker on these boards by any means, but when I read Alex's article on the Verdaderos, they seemed to appeal to me with the "raisin aroma" he describes...so I went ahead and ordered two of them today along with a few other sticks...so when I recieve them and smoke one, I will post my feelings on it here, hopefully maybe there will be some useful information in the review that you can use...
    LCar:
       I am not nearly the most experienced cigar smoker on these boards by any means, but when I read Alex's article on the Verdaderos, they seemed to appeal to me with the "raisin aroma" he describes...so I went ahead and ordered two of them today along with a few other sticks...so when I recieve them and smoke one, I will post my feelings on it here, hopefully maybe there will be some useful information in the review that you can use...
    yeah... all this ribbing about their marketing plan and then we have someone who is actually giving us the info we asked for in the first place.

LCar, I cant wait for the review.
  • kuzi16:

The whole "Organic" fad started after reports that growth hormones used on cattle were having effects on the consumers, Most notable causing young girls to prematurely enter puberty.
    This lead to wondering if pesticides and fertilizers used on plants had negative effects on the human body also.  There's no extra nutritional value in "organic" items, but there is no risk of developing cancers or disorders or anything else that people might blame on the possibility of these chemicals still being on/in their food.
    Once this idea gained momentum we saw the fad develop and people started emphasizing "organic" like the new Atkins of healthy living.
    This may just be the cigar industry's attempt to appeal to the "Au natural" crowd.  Afterall, most businesses are run off of marketing product and gaining a diverse consumer following.
    Kamelyon:
    The whole "Organic" fad started after reports that growth hormones used on cattle were having effects on the consumers, Most notable causing young girls to prematurely enter puberty.
    This lead to wondering if pesticides and fertilizers used on plants had negative effects on the human body also.  There's no extra nutritional value in "organic" items, but there is no risk of developing cancers or disorders or anything else that people might blame on the possibility of these chemicals still being on/in their food.
    Once this idea gained momentum we saw the fad develop and people started emphasizing "organic" like the new Atkins of healthy living.
    This may just be the cigar industry's attempt to appeal to the "Au natural" crowd.  Afterall, most businesses are run off of marketing product and gaining a diverse consumer following.
    I agree that it has been getting more popular after the growth hormone info came out but I disagree that that is what turned it into a fad. I believe it started tuning into a fad when companies like Whole Foods started marketing it as a class symbol.
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57

Okay. Like I said, I ordered two of these sticks because Alex's article seemed to point out some favorable qualities in this cigar. I had one last night while I was visiting my father. 

The pre-light draw on the Verdadero was sweet and raisiny, just like the article described. After the light, the flavor of the stick was consistent throughout the entire smoke, it didn't evolve much. I was okay with that though, because it was a decent smoke. I did have to make a corrective burn, but I believe that it was the wind, not the stick, that is to blame for that. It was rather mild, and had mainly a raisin flavor, but also had a solid white pepper flavor to it. Because the flavor was more of a white pepper, it wasn't harsh. There were slight (very slight) hints of cedar and leather in the flavor also. I would also say that it almost tasted like a maduro wrapper in disguise. As strange as it seems, because of the sweet-raisin nature of the smoke, it was almost to me like smoking the Gurkha G3 but without that much strength. The flavor was very similar in my opinion. The pepper flavor got to be a little much once I got closer to the end of the smoke, plus it was windy and started raining very lightly, and the wind may or may not have made the stick burn hotter. Either way, it wasn't an opportune time to really get to enjoy the smoke, and I let it go out with maybe a little less than a third of the stick left.

All in all, the flavor is unique being that it is not a maduro wrapper, but this cigar will not blow you out of the water. It may not be the absolute best, but for 5 bucks a stick, its not a bad smoke. I dont know if I would buy an entire box of them myself, but I certainly would buy a few singles again.

Hope this helps you and your friend(s) out a little bit Sane.

• BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    LCar thanks for the review im a little disappointed with this. i thought that these organic sticks would be amazing the tobacco leaves are grown in the finest and most natural conditions and they are really taken care of. i think the raisin flavor is very interesting. did you notice a difference in the quality from organic to regular at all? or the flavors aroma or smoke?
    LCar, thanks for the review I will have to add a few sticks to my next order.
  • timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!  Just wanted to chime in on the Verdadero Organic a little.  When Alex is looking for new blends, the #1 important thing he looks for is a good tasting cigar.  He found it with Verdadero in my opinion.  The fact that it utilizes organic tobacco in its blend is unique and I think a major factor in its flavor and overall character.

Many people out there have opinions on organic farming:  some negative, some positive.  If you ask me, I say the less chemicals used the better.  I am excited about the possibilites of more organic tobaccos being utilized in the future and believe that regardless of your opinions on organic products, if that means better tasting cigars than I'm all for it.  The manufacturers of Verdadero aren't trying to make a safer cigar, they're just trying to make a great cigar. 

If anyone is interested in trying some of these, email me at tblythe@cigar.com.  I can send you a 5 pack of these to try for just $15.  You be the judge!

Also - I welcome any of you to email me with any questions or requests.  I know I'm not on the forum much, but I try to check in whenever I can and I'm always available via email. 

tblythe@cigar.com

Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon!

timb:
    I know I'm not on the forum much...
    but when you do show up its always welcome!

thanks Kuzi... you guys have built a great community here.  There's some great information here for newbies and FOG's alike. 

Smoke 'em if you got 'em (and if you don't got 'em ask Alex for some!)

timb:

Hi guys!  Just wanted to chime in on the Verdadero Organic a little.  When Alex is looking for new blends, the #1 important thing he looks for is a good tasting cigar.  He found it with Verdadero in my opinion.  The fact that it utilizes organic tobacco in its blend is unique and I think a major factor in its flavor and overall character.

Many people out there have opinions on organic farming:  some negative, some positive.  If you ask me, I say the less chemicals used the better.  I am excited about the possibilites of more organic tobaccos being utilized in the future and believe that regardless of your opinions on organic products, if that means better tasting cigars than I'm all for it.  The manufacturers of Verdadero aren't trying to make a safer cigar, they're just trying to make a great cigar. 

If anyone is interested in trying some of these, email me at tblythe@cigar.com.  I can send you a 5 pack of these to try for just $15.  You be the judge!

Thanks for the info and the offer. Its nice to see that the ccom staff watch the forum and put their thoughts and reasoning behind the products they chose to sell.

Thanks Sane.  I really like the Verdadero Organic.  It is mild but has a good flavor - a unique flavor.  When you smoke about 20 cigars a week (some weeks), you can get a little bored.  So anytime something different comes along, I take notice.  If this particular cigar does well, I will lobby for another Verdadero blend.  What kind of wrapper would you guys like to see?  I'm thinking Corojo, but I'd love to get some feedback!

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I can't get enough of the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. What I'd love to see is a crazy super-sampler with one of every single EcSu-wrapped cigar that ccom carries... I'd buy that!

You can make a check for $500 payable to Cigar.com...

j/k, but that is a lot of cigars, Dutyje !  Off the top of my head:

5 Vegas Classic, La Aurora 1495, Ashton VSG, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Man o War, CCOM House Blend Cuban Label, Sol Cubano Sumatra, Alec Bradley Pryme, 5 Vegas Limitada '06, Diamond Crown Maximus, Punch Rare Corojo....  um, that's all I can remember...

I'm sure there are 20 more - but you can see there are a ton out there.  Good idea though, I bet the Verdadero blend would taste awesome with a Ecuadorian/Sumatra wrapper!