Home Non Cigar Related

Hot Sauce

I was wondering if anyone loves hot sauce as much as my self (Kuzi can attest this). If you do, what are your favorites. Do you perfer heat over flavor or flavor over heat. Where is your SHU tolerance level. What are your favorite sauces?

Right now, I'm loving Blaire's Ultra Death (1.1 million SHU)
Mad Dog 357 Ghost Chili Sauce (550 thousand SHU)
Z "Nothing Beyond" (4 million SHU)
Dave's: Total Insanity (mesely 50000 SHU)
Siracha (another mesely 50000 SHU).

Many of you talk about getting a job at a B&M. I almost had a job at a specialty shop that sells nothing but hot sauce, spices and rubs. I learn everything I need to know about cigars from Kuzi. This would have been the job of knowledge for me.

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not long after marrying, my wife asked me if I put Tabasco on everything, well, nearly. It is always a disappoitment to me if I ask for it and they bring me Louisiana, or Texas Pete, not that I hate them, but definetely a let-down. My son bought me the whole Daves set, I think there were 7, but their gone now, and those others you mentioned have got me curious, as I've never seen them. Spice it up!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4 million SHU? Are you kidding me? You must have magma flowing out of your backside! I prefer flavor over heat.
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Daves insanity! I was offered a job as a taster/guinea pig for them (they're right down the street from me). I asked what happened to the others tasters and they said their taste buds have been blown out. I passed. I like food, booze, cigars and p u s s y too much.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I love trying new hot sauces. However, my go-to is still good old tabasco. It isn't very hot, but the flavor is great and has enough heat to spice things up. Not exactly the same thing, but I picked my first ripe habanero of the summer yesterday!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I like spicy but don't go to the ultra hot any longer. Once you get past a certain range, it's nothing but heat.... and pain. You can't taste the subtleties and complexities any longer. One that I really enjoy is the Tabasco Habanero with it's notes of mango.
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I love hot sauce! I don't like many that use vinegar as a base, so that cuts down my selection a lot.

From the Pain is Good/Original Juan stuff I like: Pain 100, 90, and 80%, I also always keep a bottle of Batch #114 Jamaican Style Hot Sauce.
    Some of Blair's stuff is good, I remember seeing Blair Lazar on TV and he was saying 'Habanyero' which gets under my skin(there's no e
    Left, Marriott actually owned the Hot Shoppe trademark for years, I guess they didn't protect it too aggressively. They had a chain of restaurants in the Northern Virginia area that started somewhere in the 30's, they still had at least one still open in the 90's where I used to eat lunch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_Corporation
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Gringo Bandito!

Dexter Holland, the lead singer of The Offspring, created his own hot sauce. It was originally a gag gift but then it turned into something much more. It's freaking amazing! I use it daily. I originally got some at an Offspring concert but I had my gf's mom get me a bunch when she was in Cali. When I go out there next month I plan on stocking up more on it.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    4 Million Scoville Heat Units?!?! Hook me up! The hotter the better!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I love hot sauce, but nothing very hot. I much prefer flavor over heat. I put Texas Pete on nearly everything.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I love hot.... I like to challenge myself with hot...

I have not gone out of my way to get HOT sh*t to make me cry...

I've had stuff so hot that I didn't even taste HOT, but just pain...

But I like it... But I guess I have an Iron German Stomach... I don't get hungover, I can't even explain heartburn to you, for I've never had it... Oh well... On to eating more shlt!
  • I love flavor over heat. I have the 4 million SHU sauce more for people that I dislike. Z and I have had our boughts and I usually lose. In fact, I lose every time. The last time I ate it, I was aiming to put a drop on a brat over a drunken dare and enough ended up coming out to cover the whole link. I still manned up and ate it. The first two bites you could really taste the smokieness of the sauce, then the heat kicked in and it became a race to finish it. I spent the next 25 minutes on my dads patio sweating, crying, snot dripping out of my nose. Boarderline drooling. It is the most intense afterburn I have ever experienced. I use it as a food additive and generally try not to eat it straight (btw, great in chili). I woke up the next morning and my stomach was sore, not like heart burn, but chemical burn. I didn't feel right for a couple of days.

The shop that I go to is called Heather's Heat and Flavor in Hudson, Oh. They have a wide, wide range of sauces and they are the only place I've seen that sells ghost chili's (whole and powdered). There is one there that I want to try called Magma. It's odorless, tasteless and colorless. It's not meant to alter the flavor of food but to add heat. They also have a limited edition set of Blaire's extracts that are almost 500 dollars.
  • wwhwang:
    You should look into pure capscasin. It's 16 million SHU. It is the hottest substance around. If you buy a kit, it comes with gloves, protective eye wear, and a resperator. The s*it is nothing to mess around with. When I was with my ex, I used to put hot sauce on everything that I ate just so she would not eat it. More food for me. My money bought it and I'm going to eat it. All of it.
  • These Filthy Hands:
    wwhwang:
    You should look into pure capscasin. It's 16 million SHU. It is the hottest substance around. If you buy a kit, it comes with gloves, protective eye wear, and a resperator. The s*it is nothing to mess around with. When I was with my ex, I used to put hot sauce on everything that I ate just so she would not eat it. More food for me. My money bought it and I'm going to eat it. All of it.
    +1 I hate sharing and my gf loves to snack on my food. Hot sauce is the answer! One sauce I've been digging lately is called Brother Brubru's. Pretty hot, but a great flavor that I haven't experienced elsewhere.
    So who here has eaten a raw, fresh habanero?

I have now ;)
    I just wanted to add that I do not think flavor and heat are mutually exclusive. I have had not too hot sauces that were just spice with very little flavor as well as extrememly hot sauces that had tons of flavor. I have also found that as I eat hotter things I can pick up more flavors in the really hot sauces. I think part of the belief that really hot sauces don't have flavor comes from those who aren't used to that level of heat, whatever it may be, and cannot pick up on the flavor due to the pain. IMO, in this way it is much like it is with cigars. Put someone on a huge, ultra-full cigar who isn't used to it and most of the flavors are going to be wasted. Give it to someone who has experience with those type of cigars and what they taste will generally be a lot different. Just my $.02
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One2gofst:

I have now ;)
    Have done so, interesting taste. I still have a couple pounds of them in the freezer, along with some Tabasco peppers, and about thirty pound of jalepeno's remaining from my '08 garden. This year I just grew bell peppers, have a number of them ripening in the windows now, as it's time to plant garlic and greens for next year.

I also think that accustoming oneself to the heat will eventually bring out new flavors. I had the camarones diablos at the local mexican restaurant, the waitress said "these are the way we really eat them in mexico, you might not want them" The eyebrows went up a couple inches when I finished the plate. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Son, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I prefer flavor and am not a fan of the super hot. I lean toward the LHS/TP side of hot sauce on selected foods, not everything I consume. It can be addictive!
  • One2gofst:
    I just wanted to add that I do not think flavor and heat are mutually exclusive. I have had not too hot sauces that were just spice with very little flavor as well as extrememly hot sauces that had tons of flavor. I have also found that as I eat hotter things I can pick up more flavors in the really hot sauces. I think part of the belief that really hot sauces don't have flavor comes from those who aren't used to that level of heat, whatever it may be, and cannot pick up on the flavor due to the pain. IMO, in this way it is much like it is with cigars. Put someone on a huge, ultra-full cigar who isn't used to it and most of the flavors are going to be wasted. Give it to someone who has experience with those type of cigars and what they taste will generally be a lot different. Just my $.02
    I agree. The more I move up in SHU tolerance, the more flavors I'm getting out of them. My go to right now is Mad Dog 357 Ghost Pepper Sauce. It's 550,000 SHU but the flavors are absolutly stunning. It starts off with a nice smoky note and then turns sweet and finishes with just a little bite of ghost chili's. That stuff is might tasty. My dad thinks that I'm off of my rocker with hot sauce.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Scorned Woman, Dave's Insanity, couple others I don't have the bottles too anymore, I still enjoy Franks Red Hot too
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    One2gofst:

I have now ;)
    I did. Once. Great taste, great pain. The funny thing was it gave me the longest bout of hiccups I've ever had. And to this day when I eat some really hot food (which is as often as I can) it give me intense hiccups that just wont quit.
  • I went to the sauce shop last night and picked up a bottle of Dave's Crazy Carribbean. The stuff is out of this world tasty!!!!! I might have to pick up another bottle of it just to have one at home and one in my car.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Somewhat related to this post. I often do Chinese hot pot (think fondue, but instead of cheese it's a soup base) and my local supermarket has a pre-made spicy Sichuan soup base. What is unique about the soup base is that it uses Sichuan peppers. The peppers don't have heat, but causes a tingly/numb sensation on the tongue and it also has a tartness to it.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys like "HOT" check out this website: http://www.hothothot.com/cgi/Products.cgi. It's where I buy occasional gifts for our daughter-in-law. She's East Indian and can put me to shame when it comes to eating the hot stuff.

Here's a pic of the first one I gave her:

img src=Photobucket

She loved it but now says it isn't hot enough.....go figure.

Marty

Like the rooster sauce a lot, too. image
    zoom6zoom:
    Lots of guys love this sauce. For whatever reason, and I can't really put my finger on why, I don't realy care for it. I'll use it, just don't prefer it. Different strokes, for sure.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    One2gofst:
    zoom6zoom:
    Lots of guys love this sauce. For whatever reason, and I can't really put my finger on why, I don't realy care for it. I'll use it, just don't prefer it. Different strokes, for sure.
    Personally, it's best on fried rice or chow mein.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I prefer flavor over heat, but sometimes I'll just say to hell with it and go for the hottest stuff I can find, my dad got me a gift pack of 7 a few christmas's ago.. damn they were good.

check this out http://www.firehotsauces.com/hs0165.html
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of siracha or tabasco, but love some Franks's Red Hot on pizza, eggs, fries, etc. Blair's makes some pretty mean stuff. I've had some of their sauces from the mild to the "holy f'ing crap, this is worse than lighting my genitals on fire!" Been wanting to invest in one of their 2 or 3 am reserves but haven't had the courage yet. Also tried 357 ghost. Not bad.

If you just want some heat without adding too much flavor, look up frost hot sauce (just distilled white vinegar and cap crystals) or magma hot sauce for some intense stuff. Frost is amazing in a bowl of tomato soup in the winter or a bloody mary in the summer. Clears you right out if you're a little stuffy.
  • illinoisgolf99:
    I prefer flavor over heat, but sometimes I'll just say to hell with it and go for the hottest stuff I can find, my dad got me a gift pack of 7 a few christmas's ago.. damn they were good.

check this out http://www.firehotsauces.com/hs0165.html
    The hot sauce shop I go to has a bottle of that. It's not for sale either. Personally, I would not pay 500 for a bottle. You can get pure cap crystals in a kit for 50 bucks and it comes with eye protection, glove, resperator and tongs. But, the bottle is wicked!