Home Cigar 101

Cigar Bar etiquette

Last night my wife and I met a friend at a local cigar bar that I'd been wanting to check out. I walked into the humidor and was instantly hit with sticker shock, compared to my local B&M.

Is a higher price typical of cigar bars? I still got a cigar, but it hurt me to drop almost $3 more on something I could've gotten at my B&M.

My big question is: What's the etiquette of bringing your own cigar to a cigar bar? This place has a great atmosphere and the drinks are reasonably priced, so I'd like to spend some time there. But I don't want to break the bank on smokes, nor do I want to offend anybody.

Thanks in advance for the input.

~Brian the Bearded

Comments

• SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I'd imagine it would be frowned upon. It would be like bringing your own donuts to a donut shop and having their $1 a cup coffee with it.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Bringing your own cigar to a cigar bar is generally allowed. I have never been somewhere that didn't let you do that. The logic behind is, they'd rather have u there smoking and buying drinks, than not show up at all because you have buy a cigar. When I usually go to my cigar bar, I usually buy a cigar just to support my local B&M, but bring a few from the house too, that way I don't go broke purchasing the over priced sticks. I also get a couple of drinks while I'm there. I think it would be considered tacky to show up w/ your own cigar, smoke it, and not get a drink or buy a B&M cigar. See my point?

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Bringing your own cigar to a cigar bar is generally allowed. I have never been somewhere that didn't let you do that. The logic behind is, they'd rather have u there smoking and buying drinks, than not show up at all because you have buy a cigar. When I usually go to my cigar bar, I usually buy a cigar just to support my local B&M, but bring a few from the house too, that way I don't go broke purchasing the over priced sticks. I also get a couple of drinks while I'm there. I think it would be considered tacky to show up w/ your own cigar, smoke it, and not get a drink or buy a B&M cigar. See my point?
    i do the same with my B&M. i get most of my cigars online but when i go to the B&M i pick something up to support them.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have a few cigar bars around me. One in Boston was so over priced, I'll never go back (Ashton Cabinet - churchill - $28!!!). The other one is very reasonably priced in both drinks and cigars and has a much bigger selection with a walk-in humi. We go there at least every month or two in the winter and it's usually a group of 4 or more.

Most places don't care if you bring your own cigars but may charge a "cutting" or "lighting" fee. Around here, it's about $5, so I just buy something while I'm there and bring a cigar of my own in case I want two. Usually, if you buy something, they don't care if you smoke theirs or your own.
  • Ok. I just walked in and saw that Nubs were in the upwards of $7+, when I'm used to paying around $4-6...

I may come and go a few more times to get the feel for it, see what everyone else does. I saw a few pipe smokers in there last night as well, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Is it a faux pas to just be straight up and ask the bartender?
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    In Arizona there is a statewide smoking ban.However there are a couple cigar bars in the state that were somehow grandfathered in.They had a license in place prior to the ban and sell beer and wine only.The owner of one told us that he has to sell a percentage of tobacco based on his alcohol sales.So to bring your own smokes would put his license in jeopardy if enough people were doing it.I figure paying a buck or two more per smoke is a small price to pay for the privilege of being able to enjoy a cold beer with my cigar in an air conditioned establishment.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    In my local cigar bar, it's really frowned upon (as in, the owner will ask you to leave if he catches you) - but then again, my local place (Havana Room or Central Cigars) roll their own house brands (that they charge $8-$12 for each stick, half of which is short-filler tobacco), and ask for full MSRP on brand-name cigars, even when buying a box. So what do I do? Just walk in with my own cigar in my pocket, take off the cigar band, and pretend like it's one of their unbanded house cigars - no one ever bothers me and I can enjoy the plush chairs and ESPN on the flatscreen plasma's.
  • Luckily the B&M around here is BYOB and they usually don't care if you bring your own after you establish yourself as a customer, they recognize me and wouldn't be mad if I brought my own every once and awhile. More importantly it's also a good idea to bring some to share with the guys working, it's be a good way to get some brands you don't normally see into a B&M, and you start building a good rapport.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    The cigar bar I go to: Can bring in your own sticks, no problems. The Humidor sticks there, over priced. I purchase them however. Saving money does not trump having a great place to smoke. There is a state wide smoking ban now in WI. There are a handfull of cigar bars, and they are grandfathered in. If they close, thats it, no more. AND... in order to remain a smoking cigar bar... a % of the place's income MUST come from the sale of tobacco. So... if he wants 8 bucks for a nub, and 7 bucks for an Oliva cameroon, ill gladly fork it over if i have a fantastic place to go and smoke indoors. Gotta support the places that support you.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I sort of stopped supporting my local shop since they started making you pay to use their "bar" or pay a 50 some dollar month fee with a 5% or so discount off stuff. I figured they had a good thing going and screwed it up. But usually there is a cutting or lighting fee or if you just pick one up while at the shop you should be fine. I never did spend much time at the shop, usually only smoked one and left. Then again it's a ways out of my way so I rarely trek there.
    phobicsquirrel:
    I sort of stopped supporting my local shop since they started making you pay to use their "bar" or pay a 50 some dollar month fee with a 5% or so discount off stuff. I figured they had a good thing going and screwed it up. But usually there is a cutting or lighting fee or if you just pick one up while at the shop you should be fine. I never did spend much time at the shop, usually only smoked one and left. Then again it's a ways out of my way so I rarely trek there.
    I think if my cigar bar charged $50 a month or some kind of "cutting" fee, I would never go back...that's just how I feel...either let me bring my own sticks in or don't...don't try to drum up some BS fees on me. If you let me bring in my sticks, great, I'll buy some of yours too, it's just the nice thing to do.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Krieg:
    If you let me bring in my sticks, great, I'll buy some of yours too, it's just the nice thing to do.
    That's kind of how I feel about this place. He has some things I can't find at the other couple B&M's around here, but what I have tried and enjoy is much more than I'd like to pay. Plus, this place has wi-fi and a great atmosphere, so I could definitely see myself spending a few hours there writing and whatnot. And, I know if I'm there seeing others come and go, I'll be wanting to smoke more...but I just don't have the spare cash for his prices.

• I pay $30 a month for a membership to my local club, which gives you access to the clubhouse and 10-20% off sticks. They don't serve booze, but you can bring your own. Their prices may be a little higher, but I still stock my locker with all their smokes. I'll gladly pay 30/month and a buck or two more on a stick to have a great place to smoke and socialize.
  • Here is what I did. I took the owner a cigar of mine, A nice one, and I told him no offense but I am picky about my cigars and I only smoke ones that I have aged. Now the owner is a great friend of mine and we hang and smoke all the time. I always bring in my own cigar but I buy a good amount of drinks when I go in to make up for it.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    You can get a bottle of beer for a couple dollars cheaper at the liquor store too. Would you bring a six in?

Most places have a cutting fee around here. Although I totally agree that the prices at cigar bars aretypically too high, so is beer and wine.

Your paying for the atmosphere, liscensces and insurance. Ask around check out their website, probably have a policy on brining your own sticks in.

• HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Whatever cigar-ish bar we hit for the Herf didn't seem to mind that we all brought in herf-a-dors but combined we also dropped a lotta money between food n booze, also seemed that the owner person? dunno... didn't seem to mind that I brought in about 30 sticks to Tobacco World, course I also bought a ton while there.. just kinda my rambeling thoughts on this.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    The Cank:
    Here is what I did. I took the owner a cigar of mine, A nice one, and I told him no offense but I am picky about my cigars and I only smoke ones that I have aged. Now the owner is a great friend of mine and we hang and smoke all the time. I always bring in my own cigar but I buy a good amount of drinks when I go in to make up for it.
    THAT is smart! I have a nice and crappy one near me...
    The nice one, I just buy from, but if I ever wanted to bring my own I don't think they'd mind.... the crappy one (also, the closer one) they don't allow you bring them in, but the new guy I have taught him a bunch of cigar trivia and info that he lets me when the boss man won't come around that day!
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    There is a place that i goto on a regular basis and everyone in there always brings their own sticks ...... The selection the place has isnt the best and the prices are a little high, but i have never seen any backlash for bringing your own and iam talking guys showing up with travel cases with 10 sticks .... But the place is great and has over 150 beers in bottles and 12-15 on tap ... and every so often they have a make your own bloody mary bar or some other kinda crazy drink special .
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think if my cigar bar charged $50 a month or some kind of "cutting" fee, I would never go back...that's just how I feel...either let me bring my own sticks in or don't...don't try to drum up some BS fees on me. If you let me bring in my sticks, great, I'll buy some of yours too, it's just the nice thing to do.
    yup.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    My local place doesn't mind that you bring your own. He just asks that you bring something they sell. I also make sure to buy one on my way out or I play poker were the buy in is a 5$ or more cigar. Gotta support the local biz
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I have a few cigar bars around me. One in Boston was so over priced, I'll never go back (Ashton Cabinet - churchill - $28!!!). The other one is very reasonably priced in both drinks and cigars and has a much bigger selection with a walk-in humi. We go there at least every month or two in the winter and it's usually a group of 4 or more.

Most places don't care if you bring your own cigars but may charge a "cutting" or "lighting" fee. Around here, it's about $5, so I just buy something while I'm there and bring a cigar of my own in case I want two. Usually, if you buy something, they don't care if you smoke theirs or your own.
    I know where the one in Boston is. Where is the "good one"?
    Hayblet:
    Whatever cigar-ish bar we hit for the Herf didn't seem to mind that we all brought in herf-a-dors but combined we also dropped a lotta money between food n booze, also seemed that the owner person? dunno... didn't seem to mind that I brought in about 30 sticks to Tobacco World, course I also bought a ton while there.. just kinda my rambeling thoughts on this.
    Yeah, I think Tim was saying Red doesn't mind...but the old owner Robert would have been pissed...but oh well, I wouldn't think they would have a problem with it since we bought some cigars from him. And I usually buy a box of cigars from him every year at the Anniversary....so spence, did u like TW's humi?? :)

"Long ashes my friends."

• HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I would be more broke than I normally am if that place was near me :) if I had more money currently I'd ask ya to get me a fiver of the Don Carlos 3 but that'll hafta wait a few weeks.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    KCW:
    Rob1110:

I know where the one in Boston is. Where is the "good one"?

There are two pretty expensive ones and one very reasonable.
    I found the very reasonable one to have a limited selection

There is also a B&M with a lounge that you can smoke in, bring a drink and they have a great selection.
    The only issue I have with one of the expensive locations, other than $, is that their selection is constantly changing. I found a good deal there one time. A stick only about $2-$3 over what I could find a price for online.
    went back there a month later and not only did they no longer carry that stick, they didnt carry any of the cigars in that line anymore.

Hayblet:
    I would be more broke than I normally am if that place was near me :) if I had more money currently I'd ask ya to get me a fiver of the Don Carlos 3 but that'll hafta wait a few weeks.
    I know what you mean, lol. If you ever want me to pick u up something, let me know.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    BeardedYeti:
    Ok. I just walked in and saw that Nubs were in the upwards of $7+, when I'm used to paying around $4-6...

I may come and go a few more times to get the feel for it, see what everyone else does. I saw a few pipe smokers in there last night as well, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I got that beat. NUB maduro 460, 10$ at my b&m. Welcome to kalifornia. My aces also charge a lighting fee. Also a peeve of mine is if you happen to use the community cutter, don't lick the cap beforehand.....I really hate that :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    BeardedYeti:
    Ok. I just walked in and saw that Nubs were in the upwards of $7+, when I'm used to paying around $4-6...

.... Also a peeve of mine is if you happen to use the community cutter, don't lick the cap beforehand.....I really hate that :)
    I never use any community anything, and hate buffets, or public pools, or dirty money, or when the waitress says " Enjoy ! " or women with pink hair. But that's just me.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kaspera79:
    Jetmech_63:
    BeardedYeti:

.... Also a peeve of mine is if you happen to use the community cutter, don't lick the cap beforehand.....I really hate that :)
    I never use any community anything, and hate buffets, or public pools, or dirty money, or when the waitress says " Enjoy ! " or women with pink hair. But that's just me.
    I have never been to a cigar bar. What's the call on scratching your ass, picking your nose, digging at your armpits and picking at your teeth?

Hey some guy's drink a lot, I don't... so I have to have something to do with my hands !
  • havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I asked a local club member if it was okay to bring in my own. He said sure, but he was assuming I bought it there I think. I was really embarrased when someone asked me what I was smoking and I said MOW Ruination, without thinking that the B&M doesn't carry the brand! Total silence. The only way I could live it down was the next time in I bought a Padron 1926 to make up for it. Moral: if you're going to bring your own be discrete.
  • I always buy one at my B&M, but I also bring my own. As long as I buy one, I can smoke whatever I want. So if I really want a specific cigar that's in my humidor, I either smoke that and take the B&M cigar home, or I smoke them both.