Home General Discussion

Another Cusano disappointment

I just smoked my first Cusano corojo 1997. It was as disappointing as my first Cusano 18. I might as well have smoked a Phillies blunt. The flavor and body were thin with virtually no finish at all.  Does that describe mild? I'm left with a kind of ashtray taste in my mouth. I tried pairing it up with a snifter of 30 year old porto at about the half way point but it didn't help al all. The cigar felt good to the touch but burned unevenly throughout its length.These sticks were pretty well rated so I'm a bit befuddled. Is it just me expecting a bigger smoke? I am a relative newbie but used to regularly smoke machine made sticks years ago (Garcia y Vega, etc.).

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wow. Im not sure what to say. I like the corojo 97. i have a few of them in my humi and a few more in my ageing humi. Ive always said that they are best in the fall.
  • 6clicks6clicks Posts: 34
    I bought them both at the same time. Maybe they weren't stored properly. I suppose in fairness I should try them again but I don't want to spend any more $$ on them. There are too many others that I really enjoyed, like Gurkha, Rocky Patel Vintage and CAO Italia. There are also too many others I haven't tasted yet. Time will tell I suppose. I'm an old Hog rider but I still have a baby's palette.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I was not very impressed with the corojo 97, but the c18 is a fantastic smoke. I wonder if they have been releasing new ones since they were origionaly released, they are what, 4 years old now since they were first out? I havent had one in a while but it is entirely possible that they are just 4 years old now and just didnt age very well? maybe ill have a c18 this weekend. I know I have some of the origional release.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i always thought they were not the original release. i was assuming that there was rotation going on. every year a new batch of 18 year aged tobacco is pulled out and there you go... new cusano 18.

i know that the corojo 97 is kind of a one time deal. all the tobacco is from the same year/field. Im not sure if they are using the same tobacco to roll new cigars or if they rolled them all and are letting em out slowly. I wander why the corojo 96 never cought on.