Home Cigar 101

Why are Cubans so Much Better.

so there are 2 guys at work that buy some cuban cigars on a website it clearly states on the site that they can get stopped and if so your loss. The question that my partner at work and i where wondering is what makes a cuban so much better then other cigars. obviously there are legal cigars that can come close.

Comments

• I think its the whole forbidden friut thing. Some Cubans are great, some are good, some are bad. Just like any other cigars. From the cubans I have smoked I wouldn't go spending a whole lot on them and just get great legal sticks. IMO
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The short answer is that they're not better, just different. There is a certain mystique surrounding them due to the status of all Cuban goods thanks to our ridiculous embargo, but that's neither here nor there.
  • I smoked one on Saturday night, It was a Cohiba La Habana then smoked a Cohiba Black the next night. While the La Habana was great I found the Black to be much much better. The black had a bit more age on it so I am sure that had a hand in the flavor
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I like the tobacco, but the curing/fermenting/blending/rolling leaves a lot to be desired. No matter how good the tobacco is, if the cigar is plugged, it's not worth a dime.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    It's all a matter of personal preference and taste. And, to be frank, most people that say "I only smoke Cuban cigars because they are the best" probably have no idea what they are talking about and (ironically) are probably buying fake Cubans. If someone were to explain they prefer Cuban tobacco over other countries, do your thing, but that doesn't necessarily make Cuban cigars "the best."

I smoked a Montecristo No. 2 a few nights ago, which happens to be one of the more highly rated Cuban cigars out there, and it was an excellent cigar. However, I've had several other cigars that were mind blowing that this Cuban cigar didn't even come close to. I'd gladly put a Padron 1926/1964 Anniversary or a well-aged OpusX up against any Cuban I've ever smoked.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    cabinetmaker:
    I like the tobacco, but the curing/fermenting/blending/rolling leaves a lot to be desired. No matter how good the tobacco is, if the cigar is plugged, it's not worth a dime.
    While I am NOT a person who believes that Cubans are always the best. However I have yet to run across an AUTHENTIC Cuban which had the problems you mention Cabbie. Cubans didn't get their reputation through selling *** sticks with the problems you mentioned. If you have experienced the problems you mentioned... then I'm betting you were smoking a fake Cuban. That said there are great sticks from everywhere. Cuba is the standard, that's all. Whether some of the guy's around here like that fact or not.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Like what others have noted before, the "forbidden fruit" aspect definitely affects US consumers' perception of Cuban cigars. It's not that Cuban cigars are better, it's that they are different. It's no different than having a preference to tobacco from other regions in Central America.

When the embargo goes away (which I believe will happen in my lifetime), it will not be unrestricted access to Cuban cigars that I will be excited about, but that blenders will have access to Cuban tobacco for their creations. Can you imagine if blenders like Pepin or AJ started making blends with Cuban tobacco in them?
    sightunseen:
    Like what others have noted before, the "forbidden fruit" aspect definitely affects US consumers' perception of Cuban cigars. It's not that Cuban cigars are better, it's that they are different. It's no different than having a preference to tobacco from other regions in Central America.

When the embargo goes away (which I believe will happen in my lifetime), it will not be unrestricted access to Cuban cigars that I will be excited about, but that blenders will have access to Cuban tobacco for their creations. Can you imagine if blenders like Pepin or AJ started making blends with Cuban tobacco in them?
    Exactly. Just imagine some of the new blends we will be offered when Cuba opens itself up ! Good times.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:

I would buy stock in whatever company Pepin works for when this happens!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    When cuban cigars were legal, they were sold by private companies intent on gaining customers - due to Cuba's soil and climate, they were among the best in the world. Then castro took over, and ever since, cuban cigars have been rolled by a bunch of angry communist @ssholes.

When the cuban revolution hit, most of the top cigar blenders fled cuba for Honduras/Nicaragua/Dominican Republic, etc, along with pockets full of cuban seeds. Today, the quality of Nicaraguan/Honduras/DR, etc cigars have matched or exceeded cubans, so the only real difference these days is the cuban soil, which produces a different tasting tobacco due to the particular minerals in cuban soil.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    sightunseen:

I would buy stock in whatever company Pepin works for when this happens!
    I'll probably just replace my 401k with those Pepin sticks.
    xmacro:
    When cuban cigars were legal, they were sold by private companies intent on gaining customers - due to Cuba's soil and climate, they were among the best in the world. Then castro took over, and ever since, cuban cigars have been rolled by a bunch of angry communist @ssholes.

When the cuban revolution hit, most of the top cigar blenders fled cuba for Honduras/Nicaragua/Dominican Republic, etc, along with pockets full of cuban seeds. Today, the quality of Nicaraguan/Honduras/DR, etc cigars have matched or exceeded cubans, so the only real difference these days is the cuban soil, which produces a different tasting tobacco due to the particular minerals in cuban soil.
    So you assume everybody in Cuba is an angry ***? WOW, do you need to do some research, as that is just not true. Everybody everywhere would like more money and an easier way of life for their children, etc. To assume the people in Cuba (or even most of them) do not support the revolution because of their present situation is wrong. Do they wish things were better in their lives? Of course. Don't you?
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    I have a cuban that my friend brought back from Jamaica in my humi, and while it smells very promising, it looks like it was rolled by a 4 year old. Whether or not he is an @$$hole has yet to be decided.

• pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    pnaylon:
    I have a cuban that my friend brought back from Jamaica in my humi, and while it smells very promising, it looks like it was rolled by a 4 year old. Whether or not he is an @$$hole has yet to be decided.

Just to clarify, that is a cuban CIGAR, not a person. I wish i could fit a person in my humidor.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Over the past few years, Cuba has been turning out less than great cigars quality wise. But recently it seems that they have been trying to get back to where they used to be. I remember reading something about it on CA's webiste. As for why a Cuban is so much better...etc...etc...wouldn't say that...Cuba's tobacco just taste so much different than rest.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Is anyone familiar with Cubanlous.com?
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I'll tell you what, I smoked a Bolivar Canadian Regional Ed. last night with a few weeks in the humi and it was mind blowing, after some good time on it, I am sure it will be one of the best sticks I have ever had, that being said I fired a Padron 1964 a week or 2 ago and it was mind blowing had maybe 9 months or something on it...for me sometimes it just needs to be a Cuban and sometimes it just needs to be something other than Cuban, I NEED both in my lineup because both offer something completely different...and the **** that'll go down once things open up will be scary, in a good way lol
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    cabinetmaker:
    While I am NOT a person who believes that Cubans are always the best. However I have yet to run across an AUTHENTIC Cuban which had the problems you mention Cabbie. Cubans didn't get their reputation through selling *** sticks with the problems you mentioned. If you have experienced the problems you mentioned... then I'm betting you were smoking a fake Cuban. That said there are great sticks from everywhere. Cuba is the standard, that's all. Whether some of the guy's around here like that fact or not.
    I have. I've bought Cohibas out of a Habanos SA shop that had lots of draw issues. I agree with both of you more or less, just passing on my experiences.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    laker1963:
    To assume the people in Cuba (or even most of them) do not support the revolution because of their present situation is wrong. Do they wish things were better in their lives? Of course. Don't you?
    If I understand you, you're saying the people support the revolution? Laker, I'm not gonna get into this with you - the communist revolution is a failure, as even fidel has admitted. The entire model brings nothing but misery, death, poverty, and ruin to any country that attempts it (contrary to Michael Moore and his documentaries)

As for what I wish, it's that the castro brothers swing from a rope at dawn and that elections could finally be held that represent the will of the cuban people.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The short answer is that they're not better, just different. There is a certain mystique surrounding them due to the status of all Cuban goods thanks to our ridiculous embargo, but that's neither here nor there.
    this exactly.

personally ill take honduran and dominican tobacco over cuban.
    xmacro:
    laker1963:
    To assume the people in Cuba (or even most of them) do not support the revolution because of their present situation is wrong. Do they wish things were better in their lives? Of course. Don't you?
    If I understand you, you're saying the people support the revolution? Laker, I'm not gonna get into this with you - the communist revolution is a failure, as even fidel has admitted. The entire model brings nothing but misery, death, poverty, and ruin to any country that attempts it (contrary to Michael Moore and his documentaries)

As for what I wish, it's that the castro brothers swing from a rope at dawn and that elections could finally be held that represent the will of the cuban people.
    Nope you don't understand me. I don't speak in general terms unless I say I am.

You made a blanket statement which you can't know to be true. I was pointing that out. Not All Cubans are for the Revolution and certainly not after 50 years of misery.

It is also true to say that not ALL Cubans are against the Revolution despite the misery that has followed. People are different everywhere and have different views (just like in the US or Canada) even those pesky Communists'

Many, worldwide, are arguing as we speak that Capitalism is a failure. It all depends on what you use as a measuring stick. Time will tell, and history will record the same as always... the view of the powerful at the time of writing.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Here in Canada, Cuban cigars are not the 'forbidden fruit'. All cigars are pricy, and I can get Cuban cigars for less money than an RP Vintage 1990. A Padron or OpusX is out of my price range, if you could even find one anywhere!
    I smoke Cuban cigars because I like them. I smoke non-Cuban cigars because I like them. As for better or worse....I've had construction, draw and burn issues over the years with both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars, pretty much equally.

The biggest difference in Cuban cigars vs. non-Cuban cigars is in the aging of the tobacco. Many non-Cuban cigars are made with 'aged' tobacco, sometimes up to 20 year old leaves are uses...but often it's 5 year old tobacco, give or take a few years. Cuban cigars are not made with aged tobacco. They are rolled 'young' and expected to age after they are made. A good company will age the rolled cigar 1 full year before selling it. They may expect you to age that cigar for 1 to 5 more years before it hits it's "prime". That is the biggest difference. If you smoke your Cuban cigars the same week/month that you get them, they simply might not be 'ready' to be smoked, and THAT would be why it seems plugged or harsh.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    The biggest difference in Cuban cigars vs. non-Cuban cigars is in the aging of the tobacco. Many non-Cuban cigars are made with 'aged' tobacco, sometimes up to 20 year old leaves are uses...but often it's 5 year old tobacco, give or take a few years. Cuban cigars are not made with aged tobacco. They are rolled 'young' and expected to age after they are made. A good company will age the rolled cigar 1 full year before selling it. They may expect you to age that cigar for 1 to 5 more years before it hits it's "prime". That is the biggest difference. If you smoke your Cuban cigars the same week/month that you get them, they simply might not be 'ready' to be smoked, and THAT would be why it seems plugged or harsh.

this is (from what i hear) a relatively new practice in Cuba's cigar market. there was at one point a rush to get cigars out to get revenue up and tobaccos/cigars were not let to age/ferment fully before release.
    this is probably why there are so many people saying that there are problems with the cigars.
    camgfs:
    Here in Canada, Cuban cigars are not the 'forbidden fruit'. All cigars are pricy, and I can get Cuban cigars for less money than an RP Vintage 1990. A Padron or OpusX is out of my price range, if you could even find one anywhere!
    I smoke Cuban cigars because I like them. I smoke non-Cuban cigars because I like them. As for better or worse....I've had construction, draw and burn issues over the years with both Cuban and non-Cuban cigars, pretty much equally.

Here is a CBC Marketplace article regarding the Fake Cuban Cigar business in Canada. It makes for some interesting and scary reading. Hope you boy's really know your sources for those ISOM's.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/pre-2007/files/scams/cigars/index.html
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Hey Cam...u got a PM

"Long ashes my friends."

• I am currently deployed to Kosovo and it has been a great opportunity for me to try cuban cigars. I tried cuban cigars before but did not have the time to sit down and truly appreciate their charasteristics. It have been 4 months now and IMHO non-cuban cigars are as good and most of the time better than cigars made in Cuba. Specially those from Nicaragua and Honduras. I think the tobacco variety in the blends has a lot to do with it. Many non-cuban cigar blends are made with tobaccos from all over the world whereas cuban blends are just made from cuban tobacco. Only San Cristobal de la Habana has been worthy enough to get my attention. I still have to try the Cuban version of Punch but they want 16 Euros for those. F*#CK That!!!!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    laker1963:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. My take on Cuban cigars is that I have had some that were wonderful and some that were not so wonderful. I truly believe the best cigars in the world now come from Nicaragua and the Cubans are living on reputation and perception alone just like the Japanese car makers are.
    fla-gypsy:
    xmacro:
    laker1963:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. My take on Cuban cigars is that I have had some that were wonderful and some that were not so wonderful. I truly believe the best cigars in the world now come from Nicaragua and the Cubans are living on reputation and perception alone just like the Japanese car makers are.
    Yeah, but my Cohibas get 34 MPG And have a higher resale value!
  • My feeling is that they're considered to be better because as recently as 10 years ago they were vastly better than cigars from anywhere else. Over the last decade the blends have changed quite a bit and they're putting out some fantastic cigars from legal countries so they're catching up, but the casual smoker thinks of cubans as the top dog because of their reputation. That's not to say that they're not still great - PSD4's are up there with some of the top cigars in the world - but the rest of the world has caught up to them.
    Unthought_Known:
    My feeling is that they're considered to be better because as recently as 10 years ago they were vastly better than cigars from anywhere else. Over the last decade the blends have changed quite a bit and they're putting out some fantastic cigars from legal countries so they're catching up, but the casual smoker thinks of cubans as the top dog because of their reputation. That's not to say that they're not still great - PSD4's are up there with some of the top cigars in the world - but the rest of the world has caught up to them.
    I like this statement!