Home Cigar 101

drew estate java bitter taste

gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
i just purchased 2 boxes of drew estate java 1-waffe and 1-corona latte  both boxes have a very bitter start and some turn creamy half way thru like the ones im used to smoking but some dont seem to come back at all. i have smoked both the latte and maduro for several years and have never encountered this problem--- are these smokes salvagable? i have heard that if you let them age for 60-90 days in humidor they will be ok? expensive to give up on. any suggestions?

Comments

• BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    i would say let them sit thats really sad to hear tho ive been interested in this cigar for a while. i would say 90 days should be perfect you could always try one at 60 just to see. i wouldnt leave them in there to age longer than 3-4 months tho.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have found that with the little cigars, or flavoured cigars that even a week in the Humi will make a big difference. I don't think they are ruined or anything.

Were they purchased from a reputable source?
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    i just purchased 2 boxes of drew estate java 1-waffe and 1-corona latte  both boxes have a very bitter start and some turn creamy half way thru like the ones im used to smoking but some dont seem to come back at all. i have smoked both the latte and maduro for several years and have never encountered this problem--- are these smokes salvagable? i have heard that if you let them age for 60-90 days in humidor they will be ok? expensive to give up on. any suggestions?
    It's possible... If some of the tobacco wasn't completely fermented it's possible to get the bitter taste... In that case yeah, a couple months could do them wonders...

Let me ask you this... when burning did you detect any "ammonia" like smells? That would be a sure indicator of it just not having the age it needs...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    yes they were purchased from an old but small cigar shop in my hometown--glad to hear that aging may help thanks
    i did not detect an overly obvious odor but was quite shocked at the taste as have never experienced any problems with any drew estate cigars and the java are one of my favorites
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    i did not detect an overly obvious odor but was quite shocked at the taste as have never experienced any problems with any drew estate cigars and the java are one of my favorites
    There have been times when I got a bad taste from a cigar and the next time I try it, I try harder to find flaws with the cigar. I Try to find a bad taste. Not intentionally, but I become over critical of the stick. It looks like you are in for a few more bad experiences with these normally very goods cigars. I hope the very next one is better than you ever remember them being and get that bad one out of your mind..
  • Hmm how big exactly is the waffe? It doesn't say on ccom. The taste sounds very interesting though, I might have to try it out.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smaller cigars need to be sm oked EVEN slower than full sized cigars. the smaller ring guage tends to burn very hot. im not sure if that will help but it may.
    the waffe are the flat cigars  the flavor is still java --- apologies if i misunderstood your question
    I guess i missed that one. I have had zero run ins with Javas ...ever.
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    wow super good point about how the smaller ring gauges burn hotter im gna keep that in mind.
  • DiasFlakDiasFlak Posts: 342 ✭✭
    i always liked the java it was the first cigar i ever had but ive never had any problems with it being bitter but id say let them rest a lil bit
  • SSakaSSaka Posts: 1

gmill880,

Sorry to read about your experience.

Like all handmade cigars, not every cigar nor every box is perfect, but we do strive to make it make it so. So is it possible that you received a some less than ideal cigars? Yes it is.

When it comes to both those sizes, and in paticular wafe, they will almost always turn bitter if you smoke them quickly given their narrow ring gauge. In these thinner sizes it is very easy to overheat tobacco particularly if you are a guy who regularly smokes larger or stronger cigars.

Also, a slightly high moisture content in the leaf can turn cigars bitter so I would double check that on your end.

And yes, underfermented leaf can cause it also, but it is highly unlikely that is the case. Now as for underaged leaf, that too can contribute. Leaf is bale aged, but within some bales there may be some thicker leaf that could have used a little more time, so this could be it also, it shouldn't be, but could and yes, if you laid down the cigars for ninety additional days the problem might just resolve itself.

Regardless, send me an email with your "ship to" address and I will send out some smokes to make up for ones that are disappointing you. Plus if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you to send a few of the "bad" ones back to me so we can inspect them.

Sorry for the problem,

Steve

saka@drewestate.com

President, Drew Estate, Inc.

SSaka:

gmill880,

Like all handmade cigars, not every cigar nor every box is perfect, but we do strive to make it make it so. So is it possible that you received a some less than ideal cigars? Yes it is.

When it comes to both those sizes, and in paticular wafe, they will almost always turn bitter if you smoke them quickly given their narrow ring gauge. In these thinner sizes it is very easy to overheat tobacco particularly if you are a guy who regularly smokes larger or stronger cigars.

Also, a slightly high moisture content in the leaf can turn cigars bitter so I would double check that on your end.

And yes, underfermented leaf can cause it also, but it is highly unlikely that is the case. Now as for underaged leaf, that too can contribute. Leaf is bale aged, but within some bales there may be some thicker leaf that could have used a little more time, so this could be it also, it shouldn't be, but could and yes, if you laid down the cigars for ninety additional days the problem might just resolve itself.

Regardless, send me an email with your "ship to" address and I will send out some smokes to make up for ones that are disappointing you. Plus if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you to send a few of the "bad" ones back to me so we can inspect them.

Sorry for the problem,

Steve

saka@drewestate.com

well damn, thats some good customer service.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    SSaka:

gmill880,

Sorry for the problem,

Steve

saka@drewestate.com

I've never smoked any drew estate cigars. I'm buying some tomorrow starting with the Java. That was quality right there Steve!
    madurofan:
    I've never smoked any drew estate cigars. I'm buying some tomorrow starting with the Java. That was quality right there Steve!
    try the "la vieja Habanna" ... i hope thats spelled right. great cigar for the price. that could easily be an every day smoke
    Well, That goes to show you never know who is reading your comments.. I think Drew/Steve made some new customers today..... ( Try the Natural Clean Robustos) nice smoke.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I agree, guys... Drew Estates has not even been on my radar of cigars I've been interested in trying. My next order from ccom will certainly has some... I think I'll even dive into my first-ever infused cigar as a result of this post!
    no seriously, check these out

this and the Liga Pravada are my two favorite products put out by drew estates.

kuzi16:
    no seriously, check these out

this and the Liga Pravada are my two favorite products put out by drew estates.

Nice job Kuzi, the only way to make picking up some of these any easier is if you post your Credit Card number. :}
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    SSaka:

gmill880,

Sorry for the problem,

Steve

saka@drewestate.com

well damn, thats some good customer service.
    That's what I'm saying.. Nice!
    responded to steve's post today 10-10-08. was very impressed with Drew Estate/Steve concern and reply. as i stated in my e mail to Steve that he would take the time as president of Drew Estate to reply to my problem was a testament to their dedication to their product and ultimatly to the customers who consume them. they are still one of my favorite choices despite the problem i encountered.
  • ebitlerebitler Posts: 57
    I just ordered some Acid def sea to try as my first cigar by drew estates. I'm very impressed by that customer service, that is a def way to earn repeat customers
  • Hi all. This is my first post and I am new to the world of cigars.

I came across this website and forum doing a google search "java cigar bitter" since I too just had the same runin with the Java. I still taste it in my mouth.

The first Java I ever had was purchased at a Corona cigar bar in Orlando and man was it good! I immidiately fell in love with the infused mocha and became a fan of Drew Estates.

My experiences with Java since haven't been so well (I've had five now). I've had the waffe, along with the standard (robusto?) types. They all tasted bitter and killed the flavor.

While smoking a Kuba Kuba earlier today, I came to my own conclusion that heat is the culprit amd the Java must be lit and smoked VERY slowly. The kuba felt like a much much cooler smoke than the previous Javas I had smoked. Naturally it tasted very good until I got near the end, when the smoke got hot and the similar bitterness started to come through.

I don't want to give up on the Java. It initiated me into the cigar world so well. The next one I smoke will hopefully be lit properly (I am new!) and I will be able to enjoy it like I did the first one.

PS. Amazing that the President of Drew Estaes stepped up to the plate. I am very impressed! It made me want to purchase a Drew Estaes sampler but I am afraid it won't keep since I don't own a humidor and can't own one til x-mas. My girlfriend wants to get me a nice one. :)

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome, Michael, and good thinkin': never cross up the girlfriend when X-mas is on the line. It's right up there with never get drawn into a land war in Asia.
    Hey Michael Welcome ... Take some kind of care with those cigars. Use Plastic bags or Tuperware but keep them humidified for sure. There are many examples of ways to keep your cigars fresh listed by the many wise folks here. Either that or smoke fast..
    I like to hold mine under my arm.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    Somehow I missed this thread before. I occasionally buy the Java Wafes, often to smoke at outdoor events like concerts where smoking is allowed, but I have to worry about people complaining about the smell. They are different, but quite tasty. Besides, the shape is really cool. An ex girlfriend got hooked on real cigars by starting out on Java Wafes.

The first time I ever bought a full box of cigars, it was Drew Estate's Chateau Real. A quality smoke, I still have a few. I'm itching to try the Liga Privada #9, but haven't found a good deal.

Awesome customer service, Steve. I would've been buying more of your products anyway, but this gives me another reason.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Almost as well known as never gamble with a Scicilian when death is on the line.
    Bingo.