Home General Discussion

Waxing Moon Humidor Thread

I have been doing a thread on each humidor as I go... but, that is getting to be too confusing... so, I think I'll just keep this one thread going and post updates as I go... Will be easier for me to manage....

I just oiled this bunch up today.... the oil has to dry about 3 days... so, in the mean time, I'll work on dressing out the interiors...

First up... Maple with a heavy mineral stain streak & Walnut...

Next.... Curly Maple & Walnut

Ambrosia Maple & Quilted Maple.... That lid is hypnotizing...

Wormy American Chestnut & Walnut...

Comments

• Here's another Wormy Chestnut & Walnut.... This one has an engraving on the inside of the lid.

And these two.... are a little bit behind... I just need to add splines, cut the lids off and sand...sand....sand... but, it won't take long to get 'em caught up to the others...

And.... because I'm spending so much time in the in the shop... I'm building this little jewelry box on the side for my girl...

Bird's Eye Maple & Wenge.... :-)

• Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    cool idea of just having the 1 thread. i posted this a few days ago on one of the other threads, dunno if you saw it or not but i thought id post again just in case you missed it lol
    just out of interest as at the moment i couldn't afford one of your pieces of art, but do you think you could make a humi with this sort of affect??
    thats my gun and the pic doesnt really do it justice.
    its made with like a laminate and then shaped. and where it curves it looks awesome.
    i was thinking like an egg shaped humi but with a flat base and then when you open it up you get storage a bit like this
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    What's the usmc one cost? I'd love that next to my pictures from when I was in.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Love the work, please continue to share with us!
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    Beautiful work!
    Good idea having it all your work in one thread.
  • Today, I finished up lining 3 of the 6 I have on the bench.... and started working on the trays.

These can be officially called Humidors now...

As always, fantastic work! I'm sure you will have some happy customers!
  • ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Awesome work, it would be neat to have something that well crafted. Hopefully someday.
  • Finally, I am able to start finishing up these two little boxes.....

First up is the Curly Maple & Purple Heart... She's 10.25"x8.75"x5" for right around 60 count.... All I have to do is line her and let the freshly applied oil dry a couple days and then buff her out....

Next is the "sister" humidor.... she's Curly Maple & Cherry... 10.25"x8.75"x6.5" and good for around 80 count.....

This one is still unspoken for.... I've added a lid stay to her and will dress her out as requested to whomever wants to secure her....

Just like the other one, she only needs to be lined and the fresh oil needs to dry and then wax & buff.... should be ready to go in a day or two...

• Well...I got them both lined and lids mounted.... These two are officially humidors now....

Tight little boxes, they are....

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    These are amazing! Keep the posts coming!!
  • Last night I did a little bit more "detailed" work on the Wyoming humidor.... My customer wanted his family brands to really stand out on the lid.... Although the laser engraving did a great job, and layed down ground work... it just didn't quite give it the desired effect against the walnut....

So.... after kicking it around in my head for a couple of days on how to "fix it"... I came up with this.... Here's a before & after pic....

OK - So now, I can call it done.....

Before:

After:

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Wow don't know what the heck you did but it looks amazing!
  • Finally, I got the lids back on these two from my laser guy in Atlanta.....

They can now officially be called humidors!

Next....tray work.... and then Done!

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    WOW Ed! I LOVE the grain on that last one...too beautiful.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • I want to thank some friends of mine, Kevin & Genie.... for going out of their way and making the cool little back drop cloths for my pictures....

10.25" x 8.75" x 5" 60 Count Curly Maple & Purpleheart

And..... this one is finished as well.....

Curly Maple & Cherry 10.25" x 8.75" x 6.5" 83 Count.... This one is currently available....

Nice work as usual! Like the different toned cedar on the inside lining!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Waxing Moon you have mail
  • Today is a heavy sawdust day..... Time for some humidors to meet their makers!!!

Although we still have a little tweeking to do on #52 & #48..... We should have them done by the close of the weekend....

First up - WMWH53..... Figured Cherry & Walnut. We are going to try to squeeze out a 19x12x8.5, 277 count humidor from what you see below. This cherry is amazing.... Highly figured - should prove to be an interesting piece.

Next....WMWH54 - Walnut. This is going to be a sweet box. 14x10x6.5 for around 130 count humidor.

Next.... WMWH56 - Walnut & Cocobolo. 11x9x6 for a tight little 85 count humidor.... with some pizazz...

Next....WMWH57 - Bookmatched Quilted Maple & Cocobolo. Speaking of pizazz.... well, I'm just gonna keep quiet on this one.... 26x14x14 for 725 count humidor....

Next...WMWH59 - Ziricote & Gabon Ebony.... This is this run's Extra... We'll call it the Waxing Moon "choice"... as this one is not special ordered and will be available for the open market.... I plan on trying a couple of new things to the styling on this one.... Should be interesting.... 16x12x8 for a 220 count

Lastly.... WMWH62 - Jataboa (aka Brazilian Cherry). Last minute - able to fill order because I had the wood in house.... 16x12x7 for 190 count...

Stay tuned!!!
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    This should be exciting. How thick are those boards?
  • First off, we had to tame the "live edge" of that slab of cocobolo.... Here's a picture of my partner Bruce.... getting a straight edge from that slab....

Here's the straight edge, which allows us to put it up against the table saw fence now...

I'm going to keep that live edge around and use it on a lid for a future humidor.....

And.... here's the progress so far today.... Still daylight to burn...

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Its awesome to see these come together from scratch. Really cool thread here. I'm excited to see the progress.
  • We sure have made a lot of sawdust over the last couple of days.... I think we wore out a blade or two as well... some pretty hard wood getting cut up here.....

Three of lids will be laminated with contrasting stripes.... and four of the humidors will have a lid separator... which, (with any luck), we'll be cutting the lid off at the laminated 1/4" piece.... leaving 1/16th inch on each side of the cut... 1/8" appearance when the lid is closed.... of contrasting wood..

Here we go....

WMWH53 - Cherry & Walnut.... This one will have a glass lid. I put that other humidor in the picture to give you an idea of how cherry darkens up over time.... And... that humi has only been around about a week or two...

WMWH54 - Walnut... We just worked the box portion of this one... as you can see, the lid parts still need to be planed down...

WMWH56 - Walnut & Cocobolo... This is a great combination.... Again, haven't worked too much on the lid parts... except cut all the laminates for the laminated lid detail...

image WMWH57 - Quilted Maple & Cocoblo.... This one is going to be HUGE. Big Cocobolo base molding.... and then a cocobolo band separating the book matched top & bottom.... not to mention the lid.... We're going to have fun with this one....

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Gabon Ebony..... This one is coming along as well... I plan on doing some cool stuff to the base molding and the lid is going to have a completely different style..... This one will be interesting....

WMWH62 - Jataboa or Brazilian Cherry..... this one is coming along as well... Have to get the others caught up before we do much more with this one.... Didn't do much with the lid pieces on this one either...

So far... so good... I think have some nice lookers coming out of this batch!

Thanks for watching everybody!!!
  • Yesterday was not a very exciting day in the shop..... unless you like to watch glue dry.... There was a whole lot of this going on.....

• Well.... after all that glue dried.... it was time to run everything through the thickness planer.... Now, most of the parts are the proper thickness and set up the way they need to be.... should have some boxes this time tomorrow...

WMWH53 - Cherry & Walnut

WMWH54 - Walnut

WMWH56 - Walnut & Cocobolo

WMWH57 - Quilted Maple & Cocobolo

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Gabon Ebony

WMWH62 - Jataboa (Brazilian Cherry)

• Coming right along.... did the 45's on the boxes, still need to glue them together.... so, what you see, they're just standing there.... Tomorrow will be a spanish cedar day... I need to make the bottoms before I can glue up the boxes....

WMWH53 - Cherry & Walnut

WMWH54 - Walnut

WMWH57 - Quilted Maple & Cocobolo (Made the bottom on this one, the base and the center ring are glued up)

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Gabon Ebony

• I spent most of the day today playing around with Spanish Cedar... The owner of #52 requested that I install an Accumonitor EZ in the cavernous space.... and I had the thing all but done.... but, I simply didn't like it. There were too many wires exposed and that big black tank sitting in the corner... I well..... started over.....

Here's what I came up with. It will allow for ventilation with the cuts between the top portion and the lower portion.... and the top portion is offset 1/8" to securely sit on top... the gaps below are 5/8" deep by 1/2" wide with a 1/4" between them... so, the water reservoir should have plenty of breathing room to do it's thing... Plus, the top lifts off for easy maintenance, etc...

Now, I think I am just going to build 4 stackable trays on each side and call it a day with this bad boy.... and then send her on it's long journey to London....

I should have it done...done...done tomorrow, or wednesday...with the final waxing and all... But, man... I'm glad this is done. What do ya'all think?

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    the 59 humi, zirocot and aby? that wood is just amazing man....caught my eye an its gorgoues
  • Bop's..... #52

Cabinet Insert:

• Busy day in the shop over the last couple of days. I didn't get much done during the working week.... things were kind of nuts at my "real job"... Man, I'd sure like to be able to give it up and do this 100%.... We'll see how things go...

I worked on the lids....and pretty much have them ready to bevel. But, first, I need to get the spline work done... that shouldn't be too bad.

I did the tray work on Bop's humidor #52.... I decided to rework the encasement for the accumonitor.... toying with those "waffle" looking things I made up out of SC.... I kind of like that... Might have to do my trays that way too... not sure yet...

Also, I finally finished up a cabinet insert I am doing for another BOTL…. Just need to get some drawer pulls.. Covered the drawers with Ambrosia Maple

WMWH53 - Cherry & Walnut

WMWH54 - Walnut

WMWH57 - Quilted Maple & Cocobolo

WMWH59 - Ziricote & Ebony