Home Non Cigar Related

Upcoming surgery / prayers request

As some of you long time posters remember my dad has had quite a time the past couple of years with cancer, heart problems , bladder problems, letting his own truck run over him and some other things as well. Tuesday Oct 26th dad will have heart valve re-placement surgery for a valve that is closing down. Went in for a heart cath today the 19th and everything went as expected and so its on to next Tuesdays replacement and to clean out a couple of arteries. He and we have weighed the pro's and con's and he really has no choice. No surgery and he lives 12-15 mos. Successful surgery and he could live 10 or more years . Here is were my brother of the leafs who have been such wonderful compassionate friends over the last coupla years come in ... please say a prayer to whatever God you believe in ... I really believe a positive mind set and for lack of a better word " Karma " can help and do wonders. He is 78 yrs young and a h_ll of a fighter ... I just want as many good thoughts , prayers and feelings in his corner as we can muster . Love you guys . Thanks . Gene

Comments

• gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Best of luck.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    gmill880:
    As some of you long time posters remember my dad has had quite a time the past couple of years with cancer, heart problems , bladder problems, letting his own truck run over him and some other things as well. Tuesday Oct 26th dad will have heart valve re-placement surgery for a valve that is closing down. Went in for a heart cath today the 19th and everything went as expected and so its on to next Tuesdays replacement and to clean out a couple of arteries. He and we have weighed the pro's and con's and he really has no choice. No surgery and he lives 12-15 mos. Successful surgery and he could live 10 or more years . Here is were my brother of the leafs who have been such wonderful compassionate friends over the last coupla years come in ... please say a prayer to whatever God you believe in ... I really believe a positive mind set and for lack of a better word " Karma " can help and do wonders. He is 78 yrs young and a h_ll of a fighter ... I just want as many good thoughts , prayers and feelings in his corner as we can muster . Love you guys . Thanks . Gene
    Prayers every night on the prayer list for your Dad Gene, especially on next Monday night!!! I know its gonna be crazy hectic and stressful, but when all is said and done please post on here how everything went. Gonna be tons of us pulling for him you know! :-D

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Geno.. Consider it done brother..Thoughts are with you, prayers are for you and your family.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Thanks Guys ... it means a lot to me and my family. The doctors have pulled no punches with how hard and serious this is gonna be. He will be in good hands ( Dr. Kon ) one of the best surgeons in the U.S. for the type of high risk this will be. I will keep you updated as to how it goes. You guys are much appreciated .
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Prayers made
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I will be praying to my Lord Jesus for you BRo
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    As we now know, you're old man's a tough sob. Good karma coming your way from Pittsburgh. And just in general, hope all is well with you and your family otherwise.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Prayers and thoughts going to you and yours.....& everyone else out there.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Lots of prayers and thoughts coming from Texas my friend. He is a strong man and is a fighter! My family will keep sending good vibes your way. Let us know how it comes out.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    More prayers from Texas.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I hope the surgery goes well and your father comes out with a clean bill of health and a speedy recovery.
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers from Wisconsin.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Gene... Much love and prayers headed your way from California brother. Definitely be thinking about you and your dad.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it !!!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gene I have you both covered. Got you guys added. Your dad is a trooper and you know he is going to make it. Keep his spirits high and make sure he goes into this with a positive attitude. I really believe that keeping your faith and being positive works. They told my mom she would be dead within a month or two when she had cancer. She turned it into another 5 or 6 years because she believed she could beat it. Her attitude kept her going. Take care of your dad and keep us informed.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    You and your dad are in our thoughts Gene.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Prayers going out for you and your dad and family... is your Dad my moms roomate... She is in the same boat in the hospital but they cant do any more surgery. Hope all goes well for you and your dad gene. Thanks for the Update
    Update on dads Tuesday surgery. Everything went well, they replaced the valve and also replaced the aorta artery. which was in worse shape than they anticipated. The doctor said he did a lot better than they expected !!! Surgery started about 7:30 AM Tuesday and ended about 5:00 PM. Breathing tubes out by 10:30PM Tuesday night. Everything went well this morning and he was outta ICU and in a room by 12:30 today. Ate normal food at lunch and supper. Has been up and walked from his hospital bed to about 25 feet down the hall TWICE today. Worrying about where his clothes and watch are and how soon will he get to come home ! I don't know if I'm more amazed by how TOUGH the old man is or the miracles of modern medicine and how fast they move people along after such a major surgery.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes for my dad , we appreciate each and every one of them , you guys are truly a unique brotherhood .
  • Prayers from CT sent
    gmill880:
    Update on dads Tuesday surgery. Everything went well, they replaced the valve and also replaced the aorta artery. which was in worse shape than they anticipated. The doctor said he did a lot better than they expected !!! Surgery started about 7:30 AM Tuesday and ended about 5:00 PM. Breathing tubes out by 10:30PM Tuesday night. Everything went well this morning and he was outta ICU and in a room by 12:30 today. Ate normal food at lunch and supper. Has been up and walked from his hospital bed to about 25 feet down the hall TWICE today. Worrying about where his clothes and watch are and how soon will he get to come home ! I don't know if I'm more amazed by how TOUGH the old man is or the miracles of modern medicine and how fast they move people along after such a major surgery.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes for my dad , we appreciate each and every one of them , you guys are truly a unique brotherhood .
    ABSOLUTELY AWESOME NEWS GENE! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am an absolute sucker for a happy ending, and this certainly qualifies! Congratulations Gene! Hopefully now you can get some much overdue rest yourself & unwind from the stress. Hopefully a super premium cigar is involved in that! :-D

Your Dad is tougher than a $2 steak Gene! LOL Here's to a healthy and happy Christmas for both you and your father!

The Sniper:
    gmill880:

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME NEWS GENE! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!

I am an absolute sucker for a happy ending, and this certainly qualifies! Congratulations Gene! Hopefully now you can get some much overdue rest yourself & unwind from the stress. Hopefully a super premium cigar is involved in that! :-D

Your Dad is tougher than a $2 steak Gene! LOL Here's to a healthy and happy Christmas for both you and your father!

Thank you brother ...much appreciated !!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Gene, glad to hear all went well. I'm starting to think your dad's only weakness might be kryptonite and parking brakes with all he's been through and overcome. Hope the recovery goes well, I'll be rooting for him.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey geno, a little late in my well wishes, but, glad your dad is doing well.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Great news Geno!
    dad got out of the hospital this past monday. He is now living with my wife and I due to circumstances at his house. I love having him here when I get home from work and my wife has been taking care of him during the day. I am truly blessed to have found such a wonderful woman ! We have told him he can live here for as long as he wants and he is really relaxed and enjoying himself. If he wants to stay forever we told him we would go ahead and finish the basement now and he could have his own apartment there and come and go as he pleases. I thank God for having a home that can accomodate him and a wife who is just great to help out. It's feels so good to be able to really take care of someone who you cherish and love and who has given so much of themselves when you were growing up and took care of you. Just wanted to share this ... thanks for listening guys and thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. Dad is doing well and getting stronger every day.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Very cool Gene. I'm happy to hear all is well. Take care friend.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Awesome news Gene. Awesome.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    dad got out of the hospital this past monday. He is now living with my wife and I due to circumstances at his house. I love having him here when I get home from work and my wife has been taking care of him during the day. I am truly blessed to have found such a wonderful woman ! We have told him he can live here for as long as he wants and he is really relaxed and enjoying himself. If he wants to stay forever we told him we would go ahead and finish the basement now and he could have his own apartment there and come and go as he pleases. I thank God for having a home that can accomodate him and a wife who is just great to help out. It's feels so good to be able to really take care of someone who you cherish and love and who has given so much of themselves when you were growing up and took care of you. Just wanted to share this ... thanks for listening guys and thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. Dad is doing well and getting stronger every day.
    Really glad to hear this bro! Sounds like he is lucky to have you and your wife!
  • I moved home 2 years ago to assist my mom in taking care of my dad. He suffered from Parkinson's and dementia, a year ago we got an aid to help out but I did most of the work. I would have had it no other way as my fathers son I felt it was my duty to help him. I am also blessed to be married to a beautiful woman whom also helped in the day to day care. My father passed away on August 30th and he is no longer suffering. The house is empty without him and we are here to support my mother. For everyone who helps their parents in failing health you are a good human being and shall be blessed. It is very hard and taxing on everyone but they are your parents and deserve your help, God Bless.
    laker1963:
    Awesome news Gene. Awesome.
    +1. Thanks for keeping us updated Gene, and congratulations to both you & your father! Great to hear he's out of the hospital.