Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Can you help me discover my past?

Hey i am Marty and new to the site and new to cigars. I am half Cuban, and after living my first 30 years as an Italian-American I have been wanting to discover more of my Cuban heritage. I can remember when I was just a tike how my grandpa would smoke his cigars in the evening in almost a spiritual way. As a kid i didn't get it when he talked about growing up on the island working on his dad's farm. But I always remember the way he lived for his evening smoke on the porch (it never was to be missed or rushed!) Sadly, I didn't have my very first cigar until I was in of all placed Iraq while I was there for 22 months. My grandpa had already passed away so I wasn't able to tell him I finally got part of what he enjoyed. I just placed my first order with cigar.com today and am working on trying out different sticks to discover that "stairway to heaven" that my grandpa seemed to expereince. My humi is pretty bare right now, but I am seriously wanting to develope a true diverse supply to enjoy and to share. Any of you seasoned "professors of smoke" have suggestions for a newbie? In lot of ways I am a blank slate, with a heart to share a passion I never understood.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i always say that the Cusano 18 double Connecticut is a great cigar for newbies, so i wont this time (even though it is).

the 5 vegas Classic
    La Aroma de Cuba
    the Romeo y Joulieta Reserva Real
    Oliva series G
    the cigar.com house blends

any of those should be good.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I too found my interest in cigar while I was in Iraq. The cigar that really pulled me in was the Rocky Patel '92 but Kuzi did point out some good selections to start out with. Oliva G is my fave cigar right now.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    What a great memory for you to have. I've met a few people that seek a cigar that reminds them of the smell of their father or grandfathers cigar, typically for the same reasons as you. Its a fond memory for them. One such person I know also happens to be half cuban and is generally a pipe smoker but occasionally picks up a cigar but is only satisfied if it hits on those smells/flavors he remembers from his grandfathers cigars. The cigar he has been swearing by lately is the Cuvee Rouge.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Welcome

I found my renewed interest in cigars while I was in Iraq earlier this year too. It's actuaaly kind of sad because my smoking has tapered off since I got back because there aren't very many people around to smoke with. I see that you are from Texas. Are you back from Iraq? If so, where in Texas are you at? I'm always looking for a BOTL to share a stick with.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    If you watch the radio show on the community board here they throw out some deals.
    They honor the same deals that they made a few months ago.
    Based on that if you email Radio@cigar.com or call in they will give you two pretty good offers on
    A 6 pack of Nub Sampler - I haver really enjoyed these recently as I picked up a couple of these samplers
    And the Organic cigar they offer in a 5 pack for a really good deal. I picked up one of those but havent tried them yet. People state that they are very flavorful!

Check em out.
  • Yeah I have been back from Iraq for about 5 weeks living between NYC and Texas. Currently am just outside Corpus at my folk's place. Since I been back I have been trying to experiment and build up some smokes. Currently I a couple boxes of Ancient Warrior Carlos Torano Signature Camacho Corjo Acid Kuba Deluxe Gran Habano and COA Italia and put in an order yesterday with cigar.com for a box of Camacho 1962s I have very much enjoyed the Italias and the Camachos. Just been sampling them in the evening without any real ryhme or reason. I appreaciate all the feed back y'all can shoot my way!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Soulman:
    Just been sampling them in the evening without any real ryhme or reason.
    That's the best way to do it.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    urbino:
    Soulman:
    Just been sampling them in the evening without any real ryhme or reason.
    That's the best way to do it.
    Agreed!

Can I make a suggestion based off of what you listed since your taste seems very similar to mine. Try the CAO Brazilia (I liked it better than the Italia), the CAO Black 'VR' is also very good.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the VR is a good smoke. but im the other way on the italia. i think that the italia is better than the brazilia.
    both are good though. its just a matter of taste.