Home Cigar 101
Options

Newbie Help!!

I have been smoking flavored cigarillos like prime times, swishers and stuff like that...I want to graduate up to the real thing.  I have, in the past smoked "real" Cigars but didn't really know what to look for and because I don't have many places in my town to get them I have not been consistantly exploring this new world as much as I would like.  Any suggestions would be great!! 

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Best bets to start out I'd say are Cusano 18 Double Connecticut, 5 Vegas Gold, 5 Vegas Classic, Oilva Serie G cameroon.

Those are mild (the first two) and medium (the second two) in strength, so they are good starting points I think, plus they have good flavor and can be had for pretty cheap.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Excellent advice.
  • Options
    Thanks!  We are planning on going to place down below somewhere that you can grab a glass of wine and a cigar and sit on the balcony and I want to have an idea of what I should be looking for.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Cynyagi:

I have been smoking flavored cigarillos like prime times, swishers and stuff like that...I want to graduate up to the real thing.  I have, in the past smoked "real" Cigars but didn't really know what to look for and because I don't have many places in my town to get them I have not been consistantly exploring this new world as much as I would like.  Any suggestions would be great!! 

Stay away from the drug store checkout counter. And don't listen to these guys about Macanudos either.. We have all tried them and they are a fine mild cigar.. It's just that after awhile you will want more strength and bigger flavor. 5 Vegas Classic, Fuentes Chateau, and Cusano 18 and La Aurora, are all a fine place to start.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    If you're not planning to buy the cigars on-line, you won't likely be able to find 5 Vegas anywhere... so don't go in asking for it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Good point Duty, and a bummer too, those are some good seegars methinks.
  • Options
    Youthinks good, methinks.
  • Options
    If you like the flavored cigarillo's (though I don't think swishers should be considered), try maybe an Acid Kuba Kuba, Cold Infusion Tea, or One, or a Kahula if you can find one. Excellent mild cigars with lots of flavors, but very smooth and sweet. If you want a more traditional cigar, everything mentioned above are great suggestions, esp. the Cusano's. I love those things, prefer the Maddie but may be too much for a beginer.
  • Options
    If the 5 Vegas are off the table due to availability, I suggest substituting the Camacho 1962 perfecto for the Classic. It's a terrific little mild-medium smoke, and reasonably priced. I'll also mention the Romeo & Julieta Reserva Real as a very solid mild smoke to substitute for the Gold. They're available just about everywhere, and also reasonably priced. (I like them in the toro size.)
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I've never found a Camacho 1962 locally... and they aren't listed among the products on Camacho's website. I wonder if they're being discontinued.
  • Options
    I've noticed that on their website, too, doody. I'm not sure what to make of it. If ccom's home page is any indication, it's gotta be Camacho's best selling product.

My local B&M has loads of them, but my guess is they're probably not as widely available as many others (R&J, Montecristo, Fuente, etc.).
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I always recommend Ashton Classic to any new smokers. Mild in strength and spice, but full of creamy flavors. Good smoke.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The Camacho 1962 is another Ccom/CI exclusive.
  • Options
    Really? I'm all but certain my B&M has them.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    If the 5 Vegas are off the table due to availability, I suggest substituting the Camacho 1962 perfecto for the Classic. It's a terrific little mild-medium smoke, and reasonably priced. I'll also mention the Romeo & Julieta Reserva Real as a very solid mild smoke to substitute for the Gold. They're available just about everywhere, and also reasonably priced. (I like them in the toro size.)
    A couple more that may fall into a nice mild cigar class for you would be Avo and The Griffins. Both have great qualities to them, and I have enjoyed many of both. A little pricey, but well worth it.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the camacho is more on the medium side. i wouldnt say its mild at all. the guys at camacho have a hard time making a mild CANDELA ... its mild for a camacho though.