Home General Discussion

Rocky Vintage 1990

Tonight I smoked an RP V1990. I had smoked a 1992 a few days ago and enjoyed it very much. Tonight's smoke was strange. The stick seemed to pe perfectly constructed but I had a problem getting much smoke from it. It was as if there were air holes in the cigar that caused the draw to be very light which reduced the amount of smoke produced. It also seemed to swell slightly just behind the ash. In order to get a nice mouthful of smoke, which was excellent, I had to puff on it several times which made it warmer than I like. I wound up giving it up with about 4" left. Could this be a humidity problem? It's been in my humi for over 2 months and I haven't had a problem with any other sticks. I usually smoke one every evening. Hunidity is just under 70% as per my ANALOG hygrometer. I know, I have a new humi with a digital on order.  I'm learning, or trying anyway. Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

George

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have smoked several of both the '92 and 90's and found a similar tight draw on these cigars. I enjoy both a great deal and think that maybe it has to do with the box pressed shape. Next time try rolling the cigar between your fingers into a rounder shape. I really think you should give that cigar another try. There may have been a "knot" in your cigar, rather rare on good cigars but it still happens. kasper
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    let me start this off by saying that i have never been a huge fan of Mr. Patel. I may be the only person on this forum to say that. Dont get me wrong, he makes great cigars, but i find his blending style does not match what i like most of the time ( his sun grown line is good )

on that note... I have smoked both the 90' and 92' and have had no construction issues. I have found the draw to be good on both. I like the 92 better than the 90 but purely because of the taste. My only thought is you got the rare dud that comes out of the RP factory. Id try again.
  • ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    I have also enjoyed RP's '90 and '92 lines, my preference is the '92. I don't remember having any construction issues.
    As far as the slight swelling behind the ash, I've experienced the same thing. I had read somewhere that it's a build up of moisture that didn't evaporate from the leaf while smoking the cigar. It could be from either smoking too fast, the cigar was over humidified, or a combination depending on the tobacco.
  • kaveniuskavenius Posts: 46
    Along with Ashmaster, I have the same occurrence with the new Brazilian line from Cigar.com... don't get me wrong, they are fantastic cigars, and I just bought a box of the Torpedos... I certainly suggest to everyone to give it a try if you haven't already. But the two I've had so far both swelled right behind the ash while I smoked it causing the wrapper to crack as it went down. However, it didn't disrupt any quality or capability of the stick. Perhaps just a rare phenomenon with the sticks....
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    I have both the 90 and 92 in the humidor and smoked a 90 the other day it was pure pleasure, sorry to hear about your misfortune...give it another try, also the cigar.com brazilian are good also and kavenius I've had the same issues but with only one or maybe two out of the box...
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    About the Brazilian, I have not had an issue yet, and have smoked a few Torpedos, and even a Robusto that came in the sampler.

Don't give up, kavenius!! You'll get to a perfect one. Or better yet, send that box obviously sub-standard cigars my way, and I will dispose of them for you, saving you the effort. My addy is ... >.>

:P
  • 6clicks6clicks Posts: 34
    Thanks for the input guys. I still have a couple more of them in my humi and I will enjoy them. I too like the 1992 better than the 1990. The next time I pich any up it will be in the torpedo. That's my favorite style.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I bought a box of torpedoes as well and haven't had an issue with the brazilian label either, but I did have that happen with a RP Signature series over the weekend.
  • LarryDLarryD Posts: 59
    I've actually had the same prob with RP vintage before, but only once. I guess when the variance with skill of the roller may have something to do with it. I'm not gonna let that one bad apple get me down!
  • HMMMMM. I'm surprised as RP typically rolls really consistent products. You may not like his blends (I do) but the cigars themselves are generally well constructed. However, in the event of a tight draw just poke a bamboo skewer right down the middle and that should take care of the problem. The same kind of skewer you buy at the grocery to use for shish kebab.