Home Ratings & Reviews

Man O' War Armada

This is my first review so bare with me......

This was the strongest cigar I have had to-date!!! That is not saying much since I am a newer smoker. I got about 2/3 of the way through it and I couldn't smoke it anymore because it was too strong for me. I felt so bad because it tasted SO good that I wanted to finish it, but my head was spinning!!!

Look and Feel: Very oily dark brown wrapper with deep shades of red. The large ring gauge and packed fillers required a nice warming up before it would light.

Flavor and Aroma: Pre-light the Armada had very strong and sweet aromas on head and foot. After lighting it started off with a little spice and very strong tobacco and earthy flavors. Two inches in it mutated into bitter-sweet and leathery notes with strong tobacco flavors unyielding throughout. The smoke was semi-sweet and thick.

Burn: The draw was a little tighter then I would have liked and I had to touch it up once or twice due to uneven burn.

Conclusion: I have another one that I am going to let rest for 6 months or a year before I smoke it. I would definitely pay $12-$15 for this cigar due to the pure intensity and strength but unless the burn and draw get better I would not pay the $20 MSRP it demands. I have not had an OpusX or any other "STRONG" cigar to compare it to but this was definitely a powerhouse smoke that is worth saving for a full stomach and a special occasion. I am chalking up the draw and burn to a cold night and dull $3 cutter I used. Thanks!

Comments

• Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Wow, interesting experience...did you have something to eat prior to smoking? Now I'm curious about this cigar lol May have to get one after hearing you experience with it...
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nick2021:
    Wow, interesting experience...did you have something to eat prior to smoking? Now I'm curious about this cigar lol May have to get one after hearing you experience with it...
    Great ROTT, but I have another one I am going to sit for 6 months and give it another go. I think the down time will improve this stick considerably.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am looking for an opportunity to try this one as I love everything MOW. At the current price point it may be a while before I get one.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    fla-gypsy:
    I am looking for an opportunity to try this one as I love everything MOW. At the current price point it may be a while before I get one.
    They set me up with a 15 stick herfador and 5 Armadas for $59.99....I am guessing they want people getting on these things and that was a great deal...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im sure they will age well. i dont see how they could not.
    this age should also clear up any burn issues.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    im sure they will age well. i dont see how they could not.
    this age should also clear up any burn issues.
    I'd tend to agree with that assessment, though to me aging is more a means to let a young cigar achieve maturity, the Armada was smooth and well balanced right away. So while I don't doubt for a minute that they'll age well, I also don't feel that aging is a necessity. That said, I'd love to see where the Armada is with 3-5 years on it, my guess is that it will be phenomenal.
  • Yeah, it might age well, but the flavor was really outstanding right off the bat. Like I said my only real complaint was the draw. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this?

I had a Diesel Unlimited d6 for the first time last night and the draw was much better comparatively. And I had a large dinner before and it was STILL a strong smoke for me (I finished this one though!). I am realizing very quickly that AJ Fernandez doesn't mess around when it comes to a "punch-you-in-the-face" kind of cigar.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Burn was the biggest challenge with this cigar. 100% of the filler is lager and even the wrapper is ligero. The only non ligero leaf is the viso binder. Those heavy tobaccos bring the flavor but burn super slow. I have not had any major burn issues with mine thus far. Will have to pop a box open.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I need toi call in and get my CotM goin
    Alex Svenson:
    Burn was the biggest challenge with this cigar. 100% of the filler is lager and even the wrapper is ligero. The only non ligero leaf is the viso binder. Those heavy tobaccos bring the flavor but burn super slow. I have not had any major burn issues with mine thus far. Will have to pop a box open.
    this is a toro (6.5x52 if i remember correctly) most cigars this size take me just under 2 hours to nub. this one was about 2 hours 30 min. the slow burn is noticeable. i didnt have too many of the burn issues that others are mentioning but when i got it, i was told that they were very fresh (off the truck that was overly humid) so i let mine sit out for about an hour before smoking it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've only smoked one Armada, but the burn was generally decent, I did experience a few minor hiccups, but I don't buy cigars for how good their combustion is, and the flavor way more than made up for the slight burn issues. All in all, I was quite pleased.
  • Alex Svenson:
    I definitely noticed how slow it burned compared to my buddy who was smoking a patel brothers Torpedo. He had nubbed his before I even got 2/3 down.

I also think I have not mastered cutting flat headed cigars yet. Torpedos are easy to cut and get a nice full draw out of. I hesitate to cut too much on the flat heads because the wrapper can start unraveling. The other night when smoking the d.6 I said "screw it" and cut off a nice chunk, fully exposing the diameter of the cigar. The wrapper started to unravel but I wetted it with my saliva and it was good to go. So maybe that is my new technique to make sure I get a full draw from large, flat headed cigars.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    newbiesmoker24:
    Alex Svenson:
    I definitely noticed how slow it burned compared to my buddy who was smoking a patel brothers Torpedo. He had nubbed his before I even got 2/3 down.

I also think I have not mastered cutting flat headed cigars yet. Torpedos are easy to cut and get a nice full draw out of. I hesitate to cut too much on the flat heads because the wrapper can start unraveling. The other night when smoking the d.6 I said "screw it" and cut off a nice chunk, fully exposing the diameter of the cigar. The wrapper started to unravel but I wetted it with my saliva and it was good to go. So maybe that is my new technique to make sure I get a full draw from large, flat headed cigars.

Trry a xikar 009 gauge punch my friend. Killer big hole for the bigger ring sticks.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    Nick2021:
    Great ROTT, but I have another one I am going to sit for 6 months and give it another go. I think the down time will improve this stick considerably.
    Good to hear! It is on my to-get list for sure!
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey Alex..when you pop open that box send a couple my way. Would love to do a review. I am a definite fan of full bodied and full flavored sticks.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    That could be your whole issue...getting a good cut. If you are cutting off the whole cap. I usually lay my cutter on a flat surface and stand the cigar upright in the cutter with the cap resting in the cutter hole and against the flat surface. This guarantees me the exact cut every time and it never cuts off more than needed.
  • Hawk55:
    That could be your whole issue...getting a good cut. If you are cutting off the whole cap. I usually lay my cutter on a flat surface and stand the cigar upright in the cutter with the cap resting in the cutter hole and against the flat surface. This guarantees me the exact cut every time and it never cuts off more than needed.

That is actually a really great idea. Thanks for the suggestion! I will try that next time and see what happens. Also, Alex can send ME more Armadas if he wants... I won't complain. haha!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Hawk55:
    i was just about to suggest this. works great

"Long ashes my friends."

• JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Hawk55:
    Works like a charm...just don't do this with a Palio cutter.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    or get the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cut. I love mine.
    Back to the Armada, I can't wait to try this stick
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I got my MOW Armada yesterday, they are resting, can't wait to try.
  • aron325aron325 Posts: 158
    its killing me having 5 in m humi and not being able to smoke them because it is so cold out. i hate ohio lol. i cant wait to try them. im a huge fan of all the mow line and hearing about this one made me scream like a little girl lol jk. but i did get excited when i saw them. definetly looks and smells good
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Great review, I will definitely have to work my way up to this one.
    Light 'em up.
  • JCizzle:
    Great review, I will definitely have to work my way up to this one.
    I will agree with that. This smoke is potent. I don't have much to compare it to but this is the strongest cigar I have had yet. I am going to tackle the rest of the MOW line (I have the original, special, ruination, and virtue in the humi!) the second I have a chance... Unfortunately the weather in PBGH makes it difficult!!!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I honestly like this stick quite a bit, but I'm pretty miffed that it's so expensive and limited. I like it a lot, and it's smooth and all, but I gotta say, it ain't $20/stick or $500/box good. Seriously, I think the PR department for the MOW line is getting more than a little full of themselves with the previous success of the MOW series and just decided to arbitrarily jack up the price and make this thing "limited".

It's a shame, because it IS a good cigar, but like I said, it's not $500/box good

xmacro:
    I honestly like this stick quite a bit, but I'm pretty miffed that it's so expensive and limited. I like it a lot, and it's smooth and all, but I gotta say, it ain't $20/stick or $500/box good. Seriously, I think the PR department for the MOW line is getting more than a little full of themselves with the previous success of the MOW series and just decided to arbitrarily jack up the price and make this thing "limited".

It's a shame, because it IS a good cigar, but like I said, it's not $500/box good

i disagree. considering what went into it, and how hard those tobaccos are to get, the price is about right.

of course, YMMV
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Perfect weather here all winter, but the MOWs sure are pricey!
    Light 'em up.
  • kuzi16:
    xmacro:

i disagree. considering what went into it, and how hard those tobaccos are to get, the price is about right.

of course, YMMV
    I agree the MSRP is right but I would never pay full price for it. The next most expensive cigar I have had so far is the Gurkha Legend and the Graycliff double espresso. They were both great cigars but neither of them compare to the strength and size of the Armada. I think it is priced appropriately... but who ever pays full MSRP for cigars these days?
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    never mind....
  • lit one of these bad boys up today that i got weds. damn was this good. Nice Spice, through out with some toasty notes towards the 1st half then the leather and spice really took over with a hint of spice on the finish. if it wasnt so cold out i would have nubbed it. cant wait to try these in the summer after a few months and my hands dont feel like they are going to fall off.