Home General Discussion

Funky Smell from Fuente God of Fire tubo box...

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I got my box today from Cigar.com and when I opened up the box I had this funny smell from the inside. I'm wondering if this is normal or do I have a problem? I opened up one of the tubes and the cigar smells really good, but I'm worried if I put the tubes in my humi that the smell will travel throughout the other cigars? I get a small hint of the smell off the tubes.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    What does it smell like exactly? Could be mold, mildew...or maybe it's just musty from sitting on a shelf for a while. As long as the cigars are in tubes, I wouldn't be particularly worried.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Did you buy it from George Clinton?
    Or Bill Clinton?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, funny urby... I really can't think of the smell, it's not mold, but more like a glue-ish smell.. It really comes from the black felt tray the cigars were packed on. The wood doesn't smell.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Or Bill Clinton?
    I would think any Clinton should stay away from your hunidor :}
    In that case, maybe it is glue, or a residual smell from the finish of the box. Hard to say for sure.
  • Could be the adhesive they use to glue the felt down, I think I've noticed that before, but never very strongly.
    that's what I'm thinking but it's pretty funky...
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I got a glue smell in my coolerdor from all the boxes I busted up to line it with. Maybe Fuente just uses a particularly pungent glue.
    I'm just a little pissed since these things are quite spendy.. I mean you would think that with these prices and the limited run this wouldn't happen... maybe it's just me. However the cigars seem fine.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    is the smell INSIDE the coffin box or just outside?
    kuzi16:
    I'm not sure what a coffin box is...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its a box for each indavidual cigar. but if you dont have those then it doesnt really matter.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    I'm not sure what a coffin box is...
    Sometimes cigars are placed into a glass or aluminum tube. Sometimes single cigars are placed into a small wooden box that looks like a cigar coffin. Coffin Box.

Sorry to step on your reply.. (Edit)
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The God of Fire from early last year came in a cedar coffin. They stopped doing that starting with the 2005 batch. 2004 and older has them. I was fortunate enough to get 4 of them from 2004. I smoked one when I first got them and the other 3 are still aging.
    There's cedar inside the tube that wraps the cigar, and it is all good.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    /insert statement about sending me these cigars for "Further" inspection assuring they will be in good hands
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    There's cedar inside the tube that wraps the cigar, and it is all good.
    Let us know when you smoke one. You did get the Don Carlos right?
    Yup, the don carlos, I'm thinking about getting a 3 pack of the carlito...

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yup, the don carlos, I'm thinking about getting a 3 pack of the carlito... image
    Why is the Eagle biting that guy's nipple??? Is that what it's like to smoke these?

Count me out....
    thanks lassy for the offer...
    lol, from closer inspection the eagle is going after the rope... hehe